HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I have a PTR-91, serial #A19##, that I have run about 350 rounds of American Eagle ammo through. The bolt gap is .005", with the feeler gauge thickness double checked with a Brown & Sharpe micrometer. I believe that there have been fewer than 500 rounds through the rifle.

Now for the meat of my question: The bolt gap seems to be closing up slowly, and there are burrs developing on the edge of the trunnion where the rollers disengage from the trunnion. They are very small at this point - probably much less than .002". I can see with my bore light, and feel them with my fingertip though.

So - should I stick some +2 or +4 rollers in it to bring the bolt gap up to around .0.14 or so and just keep shooting it? Should I stone off the burrs? Or is this a situation where I need to send the firearm off to a qualified HK Smith to get checked out.

I'm a Mauser bolt gun guy, and spent my bonus from last year on the PTR to get something a little more sophisticated to add to my collection.

Thanks for the advise. This is my first post on HKPro, though I have been lurking and learning for awhile now.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I'd send it back to the manufacturer and tell them what's going on with your gun. Since it's a "A" prefix, it was built by JLD. They should fix the problem.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'm with JFK on this. But call them first to discuss it as most companies don't like unexplained packages arriving at their doorstep.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys...

Thanks for the input folks, I was thinking along those lines as well. I did send the folks at PTR an e-mail the first of August. Their response was essentially "your firearm is three years old, is out of warranty, and the bolt gap is fine." I suppose that I should call them up and have a conversation with them...

Thanks again, be safe and keep your powder dry!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I think a conversation with them would be in order. There are lots of people who read these boards and any positive/negative feedback will go a long way on how PTR/JLD will do in the market.

I think it's BS JLD is trying to back out of repairing a lemon. It would be one thing for them to not want to work on a "B" gun since they don't have any idea who or how the gun was built.

An "A" gun is different. They should at least accept your gun and examine it. There were reports of their first batch of trunions being improperly heat treated and the bolt gap problem.

I bought a used HK43 several years ago and I think I was the third or fourth owner. The gap was still .016.

·
Registered
732 Posts
I have had the mysterious shrinking bolt gap issue too. I went ahead and sent it to them, they returned it and told me it was just fine. So I put the +2 rollers in mine, the gap is right where I want it at .017" or thereabouts. It hasn't moved any recently.

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
I'd have a hard time not stoning the burrs off. I'd be worried that they will come loose and get stuck somewhere they shouldn't and accelerate the wear on other parts.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
...and more info

OK, well I sent off an e-mail to the folks at PTR yesterday about my little issue. They sent me a response on my inquiry today. It sure didn't take them long to get back to me. I quote "Hi i would not touch it as long as it functions correctly, the bolt gap does close a bit when the rifle is new then it settles. Tks"

So, since I don't have a warranty issue to deal with, I'm going to stone off the burrs, throw in some +2 rollers and see what happens.

Thanks again for the input guys, I"ll let you know how it all turns out...

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have had the mysterious shrinking bolt gap issue too. I went ahead and sent it to them, they returned it and told me it was just fine. So I put the +2 rollers in mine, the gap is right where I want it at .017" or thereabouts. It hasn't moved any recently.
Could you please post what was your gap before changing rollers? How many rounds were fired? What is your rifle S/N?

Here's the measurements I took of my JLD PTR-91, S/N A43xx:

0rns: 0.018
250: 0.017
350: 0.015

-albertr

·
Registered
14 Posts
on my PTR-91 sn# A0058 I had .004 bolt gap at 200 rounds ,I called PTR and got JD he told me that was ok . I told him it was not in spec ,we went back and forth and he finely told me he would have a look at it . I elected not to send it in because I got a bad feeling on the phone from him . I got some +4 rollers and new locking piece from RTG . it now has .015 . if it starts shrinking I'll deal with it the right way . I believe JLD sent it out with a bad trunion or a inproperly pressed barrel . I never shot it much untill recently I have had it since new . they are trying to make a clone ,but I wish they would have exactly cloned the rifle and not the H&K attitude and customer service.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm trying to see if this issue attributes to certain production batches (S/N range) or stress/wear conditions (rounds fired)... Or maybe bull barrel length? Also, I think it would be interesting to see some statistics on how many rifles experience the issue. Assuming there're no gaps in his S/N numbering, JLD must have built at least 6K rifles (if not more). It might be useful if we can have a sticky thread on this issue where everybody can chime it, so we can get a better idea of how widespread the issue is. Just a thought...
-albertr

·
Registered
732 Posts
Could you please post what was your gap before changing rollers? How many rounds were fired? What is your rifle S/N?

Here's the measurements I took of my JLD PTR-91, S/N A43xx:

0rns: 0.018
250: 0.017
350: 0.015

-albertr
Sorry Albertr. I don't know this information. I do have the serial number, but the bolt gap at various round counts I don't know. At about 1000 rounds, I DO know that it was under ten thousandths of an inch. It is now at .017 or thereabouts with the plus 2 rollers.

There is no visible dimpling on the outside of the receiver, nor does the trunnion appear to be bulged. The trunnion is smooth on the inside other than at the roller recesses. I think it probably is simply a break in issue. In the last 200+ rounds since I did the +2 rollers the gap hasn't changed.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My ser. # is A19##. I have run 380 rnds of American Eagle through it. The current gap measurement is 0.005". I checked my feeler gauge with a calibrated Brown and Sharp micrometer. (Hint: not all feeler gauges are created equal)

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Then again with those big blobs of MIG welds on the JLD receiver, I can see an annealing issue.

·
Registered
40 Posts
On my JLD receiver #A43xx, welds don't look any special... Maybe you can post a picture of your receiver, and I'll post mine, so we can compare...?
-albertr

·
Registered
40 Posts
Oops, just realized that welds are not that visible because of cleaning and finishing, so maybe you are right... Would love to see the unfinished PTR receiver if anyone has a picture...
-albertr

1 - 18 of 18 Posts