HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, All. Having seen my first HK at the recent NRA convention here in St.Louis, I have become very intrigued with the SL8-6 rifle.
While I am close to pulling the trigger on investing in one of these, I am getting the impression that a fair amount of work will need to be done to the rifle to make it right. The lower scope rail and spacers for the cheek rest don't sound like much but the idea of a $2K rifle with only a 10 rnd magazine (I'm used to ARs) doesn't sit well. Am I correct in believing that I will have to, at minimum, replace the bolt with a G36 bolt and either spend more money on a magwell conversion to AR or G36 mags or greak out the dremel and shave down parts of the magwell myself? Again, grinding on a brand new expensive gun doesn't seem like much fun to me. I see mentions of G36 conversions and quotas of "American Made" parts required.....What is that about and are the aforementioned mods something that I would need to get some license or permit for? I really love the idea of having one of these but the hassle involved is starting to steer me toward a higher grade AR like a Black Rain or something else that is ready and right from teh start. Any feedback and direction would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Ready and right is a matter of opinion. A properly converted sl8 to G36 is one of the finest bits of shooting you can have. I don't own one but have shot one and it to me is light years better than an AR. Even HK's own 416. Yes they're expensive and yes it's a lot to convert. But most of us would tell you it's worth it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts