HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Probably come some time spring 2013, I'll will have the money to pick up my next rifle. I already own a Mosin M91/30 (My very first firearm) and a Stag Arms AR15.

I like the idea of a C93 or some clone of the HK33 rifles since it would be in the same caliber as my AR15.

However, my first love when it comes to the world of HK was indeed the G3 rifle, and the PTR91 is a very attractive rifle.

Which would you choose? Now mind you, I'd be sending the C93 or whatever clone I got to Ghillie most likely to have work done on them. I'm looking for a range rifle, something that I'd be able to go out and have a couple of hours of fun. I like my AR15, it's a fun rifle, but I've always had an attraction to the roller locked system, plus for whatever reason, I just like the feeling that you get when you charge either of these rifles.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
What JT said.. you already have a 5.56 and BTW I would not put Century and PTR in the same sentence.. you may end up heartbroken with a c93

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the C93 is the more commonly known HK33 clone that I know of, the only other one is a V93 which is only mildly better as far as quality.

I was looking at a PTR91k to be honest, they have one at a shop close to where I'm at now though with the para stock instead of the fixed stock that I want.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
I have the 18 inch heavy barrel PTR91 and am setting it up as a support weapon as I am in a semi auto only state. I plan on a PTR GI in the future and am gathering parts for a custom HK 93 Ghillie build.. there are many roads to get to the 93, just depends on your budget and patience. Ghillie can also fix most C93s if you (likely it seems) get a lemon

I have an original 91A3 (safe queen, heirloom) and my GI will be set up with the A3 collapsing stock as well.. very portable

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Custom HK93 builds? Is he building these rifles from kits or something? Would it be better for me to simply commission him for one then instead of going through the grief of buying a C93/V93 that with all likelyhood would have all sorts of problems like ground bolts and such?

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Custom HK93 builds? Is he building these rifles from kits or something? Would it be better for me to simply commission him for one then instead of going through the grief of buying a C93/V93 that with all likelyhood would have all sorts of problems like ground bolts and such?
YES!

Jeff is building just about anything you wish form parts. Also to talk to Mike, Joe and several other of the current generation of HK smiths that are making guns in batches or one of as the case maybe. Friends have several and I am looking at a couple builds to get with my HK's, MM23eK and MM53 ... but the hard question is which clone and ammo vs clone.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm, I'll have to ask what he has to offer, and what would be required. Ultimately I just want something that would be fun and accurate to shoot.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Hmm, I'll have to ask what he has to offer, and what would be required. Ultimately I just want something that would be fun and accurate to shoot.
From what you have, I would go with the 308 next just to expand the experience and gun choices .... if you are near Indiana we might be able to work something out for a cold Diet Sprite at the range ;-)

·
Registered
217 Posts
I know that there are some 33 Clone's that use AR Mag's, do these work, reliably?
With AR Mag prices being reasonable, would it be worth considering building one?

·
Registered
571 Posts
i vote you have Jeff build you a G3 clone. i would start with the 308, parts and magazines are easier and less expensive to obtain. when you are ready to spend some big money on magazines and a CAI-assembled parts kit, then jump into a C93

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
YES!

Jeff is building just about anything you wish form parts. Also to talk to Mike, Joe and several other of the current generation of HK smiths that are making guns in batches or one of as the case maybe. Friends have several and I am looking at a couple builds to get with my HK's, MM23eK and MM53 ... but the hard question is which clone and ammo vs clone.
^^THIS^^ I am going to buy an imported parts kit, send the US receiver, barrel, some trigger parts and some other upgrade parts to Ghillie and he will assemble it into a custom 93 for me.. along the way it's going to be tigerstripe ceracoated

·
Registered
10,254 Posts
I'd go ahead and get the best deal possible on a C-93... and then have it shipped directly to Ghillie for "finishing". It'll come back as good (function-wise) as a real HK-93

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
I know that there are some 33 Clone's that use AR Mag's, do these work, reliably?
With AR Mag prices being reasonable, would it be worth considering building one?
I was going to go that route but Ghillie (Jeff) talked me out of it.. you can only use AR15 mags that have been fitted to the gun, and for me that was a deal breaker.. we have AR15s and a zillion mags but it's better to just stay original on the 93. MKE makes some GTG polymer mags that sell as cheap as $29 each. You'll need a US receiver, barrel and some other parts.. best thing to do is when you get near to the money, call Jeff and pick his brains and take notes.. he set me up right. If you plan on a build and you have a few hundred here and there, you can do like me and buy the barrel and receiver first. Next are mags and the US CNC Fleming trigger housing and anti rattle paddle mag release. The Fleming lets you install any AR15 type grip and it looks great, + is one more US compliance part for the build

Shattereds advice is good if you just want a good basic 93 shooter. I will get one of those later, this one is going to be my daily defensive carbine as I build our new rural castle out in the boonies, so I want a very reliable and special gun

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I'd go ahead and get the best deal possible on a C-93... and then have it shipped directly to Ghillie for "finishing". It'll come back as good (function-wise) as a real HK-93
This is true, however If you purchase the PTR it will work right out of the box and you won't have to ship it to anyone. I hate shipping firearms, it's expensive and a PITA. The reputation of the Century 93 is horrendous and if you sell it you will probably never get back what you put into it. On the other hand if you never sell no big deal.

HDH.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My personal rule is to never sell or trade a firearm unless I have more than one of a particular type. Of course if I'm facing starvation or losing a house, that rule would most likely be broken. I hopefully will never be place in a position where I'll need to sell any of the firearms I own, but life tosses some lemons at you sometimes.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Go with the PTR. You need a battle rifle, and the PTRs are a good deal. I built my own G3 on a PTR receiver last year from a aprts kit and new barrel. It is a very cool rifle. I have been considering getting a PTR to go with it, maybe one of the ones with the scope rail welded to the top.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts