HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased the H&K SL8-6, and now have some reservations about keeping it. I realize that there is some possibility of collectors appeal with this unit, but in its factory configuration this rifle is an irony.

It would seem to be a great predator shooting rig, but it has many trade offs that just aren't becoming or even modifiable. It appears to be a very nice heavy barreled target rifle, and this is what I expected, but the trigger is no where near target or hunting grade (7-8 lb creepy pull). The plastic parts which make up the trigger assembly are not replaceable with more precision metal pieces, and it appears that no one tunes theses units.

The ergonomics also leave something to be desired for me. I can't manipulate the safety selector without having to really moving my hand within the thumbhole stock. The factory rail on the SL8-6 is a nice touch, but it mounts a scope so high that one would have to purchase several extra spacers for the cheek piece to be able to maintain a proper cheek weld. The ten round magazines do not really bother me, and neither does the thumbhole stock

I am sort of tired of all the AR systems out there, but there are so many options for them, that they seem to be the only viable choice for my purpose. I just wish that H&K would have put a trigger (or even offer a trigger) for this rifle that would enhance its accurate nature. If anyone has any suggestions, I would love to hear them.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
If you want to keep it as a "shooter" there are plenty of aftermarket options (and a few genuine HK options) for it.

Carry handle. Put a G36C height rail on it. Doc-Rak also makes a lower rail. One of those plus a set of flush scope rings might to the trick for you. on optics height.

As for trigger pull, the factory pull is 20N ~ 2kg ~ 4.5lbs. If you've ever disassembled the trigger group, you'll find that all the contact points (except the sear) are metal. I read somewhere about someone doing trigger jobs on SL8's... getting the pull under 3lbs (I think)... hopefully another board member can give more insight.

Overall, most reports I've seen on the SL8 get .5" or better in groupings. The SL8-6 has a 1:7 twist barrel--check your ammo weight and make sure you're using something appropriate.

There are many stock mods being done to replicate the MSG/PSG look/feel/function--perhaps one of these will appeal to you. But I do agree, the safety lever is awkward with the factory stock.

I won't tell you to sell or keep. I personally bought mine with the intent of a G36 conversion. My next SL8 purchase will also be for conversion so if you decide to sell yours, drop me a PM. It's a good rifle out of the box. YES, you CAN make it better but keeping it for the sake of collectors value, eh, not too sure about that one.

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,875 Posts
I'll add on to what Chopstix said. Not trying to talk you into keeping it, but there are things that you can do. On the digital trigger scale, mine is breaking consistently at 3.7 pounds. I did nothing to it and neither did the previous owner... other than shoot it and scrupulously clean it. Something like Powder Blast, Gun Scrubber or non-chlorinated brake cleaner on the trigger parts (pressure being the key) and then blasting it with compressed air (or one of those air in a can things for PC's). Proper minimal lube and good to go. I guess the trigger parts have "lapped" themselves!

The gun is a damn fine shooter, loud as a cannon, and consistent. Yes, that thumbhole stalk is awkward and dorky.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys for taking the time to reply to my thread. I have not disassembled the trigger group, but just looked around in there after field stripping the rifle. I have not measured the trigger pull weight, but my gun just seems to have a very heavy pull, and is very creepy. I am relieved to know that there are metal parts in there, and gives one the opportunity to at least polish the pieces! I guess that I need to strip the trigger group, and examine the possibilities.

Predator hunting and target shooting are really my only goals with this gun, and if the trigger on my example can be improved, then I will be very happy with it. It is obvious that it has great accuracy potential, and should prove to be a very fine shooter.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Worth keeping because

I had some of the same complaints, mostly regarding the thumbhole stock (dumb-hole, make for Abe Lincoln's long skinny hands, I think) and safety. Recently aquired a modified grip/ stock from member Tbostic, looks all tactical and such, but has reinvigorated my interest in mine. I do mostly paper punchin and ground hoggin, but it seems to have been the best fit for my hand. Couldn't get the third bone in my thumb (base, proximal phalanges) to sit right in it and was painful after 20 rounds. Forget getting to the safety with your trigger hand, and I'm 6'3 with modestly skinny, boney hands. And yes, I had to pile the cheek rest spacers on, but the next cash goes to Docrak for a lower sight mount.
The trigger, I would and plan to attempt to convince Bill Springfield to take a stab at lightening / cleaning it up. I think they do get better over time, mine has smoothed out much after aprox. 200 -300 rounds, but I would like 3-4, feels close to 5 now.
Hope the gun grows on ya, and like mentioned before, HDPS makes a conversion block for the G36 convert that will help with grip and even looks like it would take a AR buttstock.. But look up Tbostic's work, great custom stuff :)
Just my $.02

·
Registered
234 Posts
If you're getting bored with your SL8 and starting to not find any reasons to keep it, may I suggest that you look into the Gen III G36 conversions that Chopstix Kid and Tbostic does?

Do some search and see if that's something you're willing to invest into, might turn that boring 'ol" SL8 into sexy mama.

·
Premium Member
1,919 Posts
Coyote, all HK's come from the factory in an inordinate amount of manufacturing dust, thick lube, etc that you have to clean off (In my experience, anyway). Clean all that crap out, run a hundred rounds through it, then clean it like straightgrain says and see how the pull is.
For the scope, you are right, the SL8-6 rail blows for using a scope. Check out my thread in this forum about the lower mount.
Also, you definitely need heavier bullets for better accuracy.

·
Registered
50 Posts
One idea to raise the cheekpiece without bothering to buy extra spacers is to use rubber tap (US call them fosset ?) washers. I only had one spacer so used 2 washers on each bolt to get the height just perfect (cost about 20cent).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts