HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi HKPRO:wink:
This is the problem:
May 12 I'll have a zombie idpa match and I'll use my Mr223, yesterday i went to my local gunsmith and the only ammo avaiable were these cheap russian Tulammo with steel brass. I have buyed only 100 just to use them this saturday but seems that someone hate these ammo, i think it's for the steel brass.
Have you tryed these kind of ammo on your mr?
Would you use them just for one "emergency" time?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I'm shooting steel cased ammo in my MR223 with not problems (currently Hornady Steel Match). However with Russian civi .223 ammo such as Tulammo, you will want to check if it will properly cycle your MR223. If not, lighter buffer spring is required.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Thanks a lot Montrala, you are always very helpfull:wink:
No problem. Actually one of ammo that was too weak to cycle MR223 reliable all the time is 55gr FMJ Barnaul. Wolff works fine. I just do not know what sits under "Tulammo" badge, but because some of Wolff range is supposedly made in Tula, so it should be GTG.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This morning I have been to the range to do some "zombie" training.
I waked up at 7.30 am and gone to my car, I happy noticed that the front tag of my car have been lost:8:
Amen...... I decided to go and nevermind....
The result of the training is 36 (150 rounds fired) malfunctions of my S&W M&P9 and 18 (100 rounds fired) of my Hk mr223 (6 of them where double feeds),
Really don' t know what kind of vodoo disaster aflicted me, in any case I'll take some time to think about it.
In a different point of view I have really improved my skills to solve malfunctions:72: :2300000:

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
I have not used it in an MR but have used Tula ammo in my 416 and many other of my AR's. It always shoots great with no problems.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Really don' t know what kind of vodoo disaster aflicted me, in any case I'll take some time to think about it.
In a different point of view I have really improved my skills to solve malfunctions:72: :2300000:
It's the zombie magic. :41: If you had a lot of double feeds, I would instinctively point my finger at your magazines. Of course, you know more about your gun than I, but magazine is almost always the cause of a double feed.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I wouldnt shoot Tulammo in YOUR gun, nonetheless my gun...
I have to agree with this but I have always been an ammo snob. I've only shot Tula in an AK and did not care for it
but it functioned just fine but we are talking about an AK.

·
Registered
590 Posts
You forgot...

Steel cased: Emotional appeal "...but I don't want to pay for brass!"
Brass cased: Rational appeal "...it all goes bang, why not reload?"

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
After some training I have marked a mag guilty of doublefeeds, both with steel case and brass case ammo.
So no more doublefeed yet.
But yesterday I have done the match, only brass case ammo (Fiocchi 62gr) and "tested" mags, and at the FIRST mag change of the FIRST stage...... doubleffed malfunction........
The zombie magic infected my MR.
Here some pics of the event and a little video,
very funny:D

Zombie Outbreak 1 - YouTube

·
Registered
14 Posts
Tulammo are light and i feel it when i shoot
2 malfunctions with Tulammo (on 500~1000) while 0 with others
2 times the brass was stuck in the chamber
and they stink and make dirty a lot my MR223

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
I have fired Wolf and now have 500 rounds of Silver Bear 55gr and both worked fine in my MR

the downside is that Wolf is dirty, not sure about Silver Bear

I was worried about steel case ammo but then Hornady started using it so I figured a lot of the naysayers out there are full of crap, especially saying the steel will wear out the rifle etc.

Seems kind of silly to me

·
Banned
879 Posts
My question is what kind of magazines are you using?

How many rounds through them?

Did you get them used?

ETA: you mentioned that only 6 of your failures were double feeds. What were the rest? (in your rifle that is)

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
I do not put regular gas in my GT2RS and I do not run steel cased ammo in my HKs. If you are buying a 2500-3900 rifle I would think you could afford brass cassed ammo.

·
Banned
879 Posts
I do not put regular gas in my GT2RS and I do not run steel cased ammo in my HKs. If you are buying a 2500-3900 rifle I would think you could afford brass cassed ammo.
Be careful you don't walk outside in the rain without an umbrella, you'll drown.

I shoot plenty of steel cased ammunition. I also shoot a lot. Better to get training and practice in then wait until I can afford only certian types of ammunition.

That being said, I still have yet to experience a failure in my MR with any kind of ammunition, including light loaded russian with spotty QC.

·
Banned
4,248 Posts
Be careful you don't walk outside in the rain without an umbrella, you'll drown.
Not even close to a valid comparison.

I shoot plenty of steel cased ammunition. I also shoot a lot.
Again, just because it's YOUR decision doesn't mean it's the right one. Come on, Grumpy; I've come to expect a much more scientific reasoning and evidence from you than that.

Better to get training and practice in then wait until I can afford only certian types of ammunition.
As PSG1 mentions, if we are purchasing a $3k plus rifle (and probably $1k on accessories and such), spending a few dollars more per case of ammo shouldn't hinder our training or break us financially...assuming we didn't over-spend on the platform itself.

·
Premium Member
3,698 Posts
I own a dry suit and a scuba tank, never leave home without them.

I shoot plenty of steel cased ammunition. I also shoot a lot. Better to get training and practice in then wait until I can afford only certian types of ammunition.
Nothing wrong with that, like PB said its your opinion. Heres my point of view.. If someone bought a 300k car they knew how much it cost and where it would put them financially. If spending a extra 25 cents a gallon was going to limit how much they could drive the car perhaps they should not be purchasing a 300k vehicle. Same thing goes for a 3k-4k rifle (556 or 762) if purchasing the rifle put them in a financial bind such that they could not afford to spend a extra $100 per K of ammo perhaps they should have went with a cheaper weapon.

A RR 21E conversion from TSC with the RR, 21E parts and labor will run approximately 30-40K depending on accessories and what 21E you want (Coast Guard gun or regular 21E) why would anyone spend that much money and then go out and purchase SilverBear or Wolf 308 to shoot through it? It just makes little sense to me.

That being said I have full faith that any of the HKs I own could shoot steel cased ammo, I just refuse to shoot it through any of my weapons.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
After some training I have marked a mag guilty of doublefeeds, both with steel case and brass case ammo.
So no more doublefeed yet.
But yesterday I have done the match, only brass case ammo (Fiocchi 62gr) and "tested" mags, and at the FIRST mag change of the FIRST stage...... doubleffed malfunction........
The zombie magic infected my MR.
Here some pics of the event and a little video,
very funny:D

Zombie Outbreak 1 - YouTube

Well, I'm not much into the whole Zombie thing, but that's one heck of a cool setting for a match!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts