HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With the help of my son, I shot you guys a video of the new 9mm conversion kits from HKParts.net. First part of the video is a brief overview of the parts followed by a detailed tutorial on performing the conversion. I've also included a video of the test fire (mods, I put it here just to keep them together--if you'd like me to move it, just let me know).

DISCLAIMER: The kits/parts used in this review/tutorial were not gifted to me, they were purchased by me for use in my personal USC/UMP conversion and soon to be acquired demo post-sample UMP. I was not asked nor was I compensated for this review or tutorial.

EDIT: It was brought to my attention that I failed to mention the pre-requisites for the 9mm conversion. If you are converting a USC, it must be capable of accepting factory UMP mags. There are three common conversion methods:

- HDPS "stock-block" USC-to-UMP conversion
- Dakota Tactical "fuse" USC-to-UMP conversion
- Tbostic's direct-replacement USC lower that accepts UMP mags

Once your USC is capable of accepting factory UMP mags, all you will need are the three 9mm conversion parts as covered in the following video.

CORRECTIONS:

1) I incorrectly noted the long barrel as a 16.5" barrel. It is indeed a 16" barrel.
2) I failed to note that the barrels are not polygon bore, they are standard L&G rifling bore.

Full-auto videos can be seen in the following thread...
http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-nfa-talk/141082-ump9-fa-conversion-kits-hkparts-net.html

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any major differences between the 2 kits?

Thanks for the vids Chop!
You're welcome! I don't have any experience with the SEF kits but from photos, the fit an finish looked really nice. Ghillie demo'd one and I recall that it ran well. I do not believe the SEF kits were offered in such variety however... I think they were UMP flanged short barrels only with USC carrier only and I am not sure the chambers were fluted.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Corrections added to original post.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My USC lower fails to lock in the 9mm mags but works with the .45 mags. Any ideas?
USC lower? Did you mean a UMP lower or do you have a USC lower that has been modified to accept the UMP mags?

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
The magwell needs to be opened up more to fit the 9mm mags. In order of "magwell size" smallest to largest, it is 45, 40, 9mm.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
The magwell needs to be opened up more to fit the 9mm mags. In order of "magwell size" smallest to largest, it is 45, 40, 9mm.
I'm not sure I understand how one would open up the magwell.

Edit: Oh, I think i get it. The cut on the USC upper needs to be widened a little more?

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Yes, you've got it. Take your time and work slowly. I advise opening it up just enough to get a good fit, because the more you open it up for 9mm the more loose 45 and 40 mags will be. I have not seen any problems with mine, but I didn't open it up any more than I had to for the 9mm mags to lock.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I keep hearing about the 9mm needing to have the mag opening in the botton of the receiver made larger. Granted I have only put my kit in 3 different guns now, but did not have that issue. I would imagine that when others' USC's were converted for UMP mags, the opening must not have been made large enough. All three guns that I have had my kit in were magwell conversions that I did and were opened to the same dimesions of a factory UMP +/- 0.001"

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
My conversion was done by TE a few years back. Jeff kept the magwell openings tight. He had to open mine up some for the 40 mags. When I got my 9mm mags, I realized I had to open it up a bit more. On your guns, do you notice any wobble using 45 or 40 mags?

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My conversion was done by TE a few years back. Jeff kept the magwell openings tight. He had to open mine up some for the 40 mags. When I got my 9mm mags, I realized I had to open it up a bit more. On your guns, do you notice any wobble using 45 or 40 mags?
Never had a .40 kit in. There is very slight amount of side-to-side play, but none front-to-back. And I did just check, and yes, the 9mm mags have even less side-to-side play. But overall, the play is marginal at best.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Quick question, does the barrel changing work as easily if using another .45acp barrel? I was wondering if I would send off my upper when I go through the SBR process but with how easy it looks (and I assume it is the same) I will do it myself.

Thanks.

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quick question, does the barrel changing work as easily if using another .45acp barrel? I was wondering if I would send off my upper when I go through the SBR process but with how easy it looks (and I assume it is the same) I will do it myself.

Thanks.
some barrels fit a little bit tighter into the trunion than others. sometimes you'll have to put a block of wood on the muzzle and give it a couple of good smacks with a hammer to pop the barrel free after you get the pin out while other barrels will slide right out.

·
Registered
148 Posts
some barrels fit a little bit tighter into the trunion than others. sometimes you'll have to put a block of wood on the muzzle and give it a couple of good smacks with a hammer to pop the barrel free after you get the pin out while other barrels will slide right out.
What about HDPS SBR barrels fitting inside? Are they still individual or generally a certain way? I plan on SBR'ing my UMP with an HDPS barrel most likely since they are most available and pre-threaded.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts