HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got a real German A2 stock from a member here for my V53 (Vector HK 53). The steel backplate on that stock was weird... the top semicircular part actually lined up with, not slid over, the rear of the receiver of the '53. I figured it was just a manufacturing defect, or matches with an MP5 and not the '53, and ordered a new steel US manufactured backplate only from RTG parts. The replacement came and the fit and finish are excellent. Very happy with the part.

What I am currently befuddled by is how to remove the current backplate from the A2 stock. I removed the two screws holding in the buffer assembly. The buffer assembly does not come out, nor does the backplate budge from the stock. I am resisting the urge to jam a screwdriver in-between the stock and the backplate. I don't want to gouge either. Both are German parts and I'd rather not trash them.

Solved, see below!

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
If the word comes from our resident experts that it is just tight in there you might want to get to Harbor Frieght Tools and buy a set of cheap wood chisels.. use several of the smaller ones and just tap all around the clock on them until it pops out. First wait till you get word here tho, just an idea that popped into my cobweb laden brain

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I could do that but it woud definately screw the paint on the factory steel backplate.

The weird thing is that the buffer assembly won't come out either, so there must be a trick to it...

For reference here is a picture of my actual stocks. The A2 is on the right. No, I didn't hack up the screws, that is how it came to me.

(Click to enlarge if needed)

·
Registered
919 Posts
Take the two screws out the you removed, then take the recoil pad off look inside and you will see another screw in back of the buffer, Take it out and it should come by itself Doc

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
What doc said above. The rear of the stock (recoil pad) can be a bitch to get off too. Put a towel over the end and put it in a vice to help hold it to get leverage to loosen it up.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Take the two screws out the you removed, then take the recoil pad off look inside and you will see another screw in back of the buufer, Take it out and it should come by itself Doc
I KNEW there was something else!

What doc said above. The rear of the stock (recoil pad) can be a bitch to get off too. Put a towel over the end and put it in a vice to help hold it to get leverage to loosen it up.
Thank you! I have tried removing the recoil pad in the past with no luck. I have rubber vise grips but will add a towel too.

I'll report back. THANK YOU BOTH!

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE: You guys are AWESOME! I got it off!

Even looking at an exploded view diagram I could not tell that there was a bolt at the back of the buffer that was holding it in the stock. Thanks Snake Doc!

And the suggestion of putting the recoil pad in a vise was sheer brilliance! Thanks to you Obiefox otherwise I would have NEVER gotten it off!

Premium Membership paid for in time saved and parts NOT damaged, right here!

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
Glad you guys chimed in, have never attempted this operation as I have never had an A2 stock except the PTR and that is going in the bin ASAP

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
If the word comes from our resident experts that it is just tight in there you might want to get to Harbor Frieght Tools and buy a set of cheap wood chisels.. use several of the smaller ones and just tap all around the clock on them until it pops out. First wait till you get word here tho, just an idea that popped into my cobweb laden brain
Glad you guys chimed in, have never attempted this operation as I have never had an A2 stock except the PTR and that is going in the bin ASAP
Uhhh... yeah. I would have seriously destroyed the stock and backplate had I heeded your first suggestion. Not quite sure why you answered considering you've never owned an A2 stock, something you failed to mention in your first post.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts