HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys.................

So.

Some of you may have seen where I was gonna try some FDE Furniture on my MP5. Well, it actually turned out not too badly! (incoming bad cell phone pics)

However, the lower housing I had must have been modified or really old, because the pictogram engravings were REALLY shallow. I mean SHALLOW. Add some duracoat on top of it and they got SUPER shallow. I was using lacquer stick to reapply the color. So, me - in my infinite wisdom decided to use an exacto knife to make the markings deeper (by hand) - and it turns out that I'm a butcher. I messed this thing up (imo). The right side is okay, but man, the left... The duracoat actually came off when trying to rub away the excess lacquer stick, as you'll see.

Right side:

Left side:

This is no good. I can't live with this. My question is this - does anyone know of anyone that could re-engrave these markings (and deeper), therefor covering up my derpness and making this look better? Or.. Is there any other way to salvage this? If its going to cost me more than a new trigger housing, it's clearly not worth it - I'm just worried about getting another 4-pos housing thats got shallow as hell engravings. Any ideas, guys?

Sam

·
Registered
307 Posts
Uh, maybe soak it in goof-off or whatever it's called LOL.

Should've seen the time I bedded my 700P rifle myself and realized I didn't have the tools to mill the stock to clean it up. Yeah cost more more than just sending it off to get done right the first time.

Effing up - it's how you learn!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I can get it all off - thats not the issue - Its the markings that I messed up that are the issue. When I strip the duracoat - which i have to anyway, the lacquer will come out/off, too. The markings just werent deep enough to take the lacquer stick, and my messing them up wont look good when I repaint it. Ughhhhh.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm even open to the idea of someone just painting the right pictograms on there at this point - anything to get the right look, yaknow? =\

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I think you will need to chalk this up to a educational experience. As stated this is how you learn. You won't try that again, right? Unfortunately picto lowers are not cheap but since you are refinishing it you may be able to find a used one for a good price. When you redo the lettering, try testors model paint and thinner. It produces much better coloring and a much more durable result.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Best price I've seen is $74. Ugh.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Know of anyone who can?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sent him a PM to this thread. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, so its clear that the EXACTO knife is what my issue was. I used a regular old pocket knife to make the Left side deeper. Heres the results.

Tried to fix the right side. Results:

I think with a bit of sanding and redoing the Duracoat, this may work. *may*....

·
Registered
10,250 Posts

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If its on the gun and the guns pointed down range, its the... oops.. wow.. WOW. My bad. I'll fix that.

EDIT: K, fixed.

·
Registered
10,250 Posts
If its on the gun and the guns pointed down range, its the... oops.. wow.. WOW. My bad. I'll fix that.

EDIT: K, fixed.
yer quick... I'll give you that...

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Okay, so its clear that the EXACTO knife is what my issue was. I used a regular old pocket knife to make the Left side deeper. Heres the results.

Tried to fix the right side. Results:

I think with a bit of sanding and redoing the Duracoat, this may work. *may*....
Yeah, that looks better. Jayson can do the engraving but it will be more than $74. Maybe a light bead blast and refinish it might work out.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yep. Talked to my Gunsmith (who helped me out before in the past), and thats exactly the game plan. He's gonna bead blast it for me.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Also, did my first Clip and Pin tonight. Woo!

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
They need to be re-engraved. You are not alone with this problem. ALL German pictogram lowers are VERY shallow. Jayson is probably already setup for that.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts