HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i saw a thread on here quite sometime ago on these.was thinking about getting one but what do you use in them? solvent or water.also do i need to use different cleaners for different finished guns? like the HE coating compared to stainless steal? any info would be helpful. thanks

·
1,199 Posts
I don't like to use solvents in my ultrasonic cleaner. Both L&R and Crest sell a special water based solution just for gun cleaning. I use the L&R brand.

I do still push a patch soaked with Hoppes NO. 9 through the bore, then follow with a light oil in all the right places, but I have never used a solvent in the bath itself.

·
Registered
870 Posts
I've heard of people using simple green in there ultrasonic cleaners. Is it true that the ultra sonic cleaner can remove the paint on the S F and on the safty???

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have used ultrasonic cleaners for many years, but not for cleaning guns.
What I would do - would be to put water in the ultrasonic tank, and then put the cleaning solution in a smaller container that would hold the part to be cleaned. I actually used a glass beaker, but anything that will transfer the ultrasonic energy will work - you can see the bubbles in the inner container. This is beneficial for 2 reasons, one it is easy to dump the cleaning liquid, and secondly the dirty cleaning solution is not in the ultrasonic tank.

Keep in mind that extended ultrasonics can cause premature failure of materials, due to the propagation of stress cracks.

·
2,832 Posts
dont use Simple Green, it will and can do bad things to guns.

I use the L&R cleaner and lube, its safe and works great.

US are not really faster but they clean great(and no stink) and when in the cleaner you can do other stuff.

I am sure its true that it may remove(after sometime) the painted area's but I have not seen this yet on my guns

I've heard of people using simple green in there ultrasonic cleaners. Is it true that the ultra sonic cleaner can remove the paint on the S F and on the safty???

·
1,199 Posts
I agree with Landpimp.

I use US to clean all my guns, and I have never had an issue with the paint... but I don't use harsh solvents.

The problem with Simple Green, is that it eats aluminum. If your gun is all steel, you should be fine, but I would still dilute it with equal parts Simple Green and water (50% solution).

The L&R solution and lub works really well. The lub dries, and leaves a film of the lub (invisible) which is great as a moisture barrier, but not good enough for lubing things that rub together.

·
2,832 Posts
Midway and/or Brownells carry it, I get it at Leedway as they are local and have it in stock, for the anti freeze size(gallon I guess, to lazy to look) jugs its about $50 for each

you can resuse the lube for almost ever, but the cleaner lasts 10-15-20 cleanings depending on what your cleaning/how dirty, suppose you can strain the cleaner and reuse but I dont.

thanks guys,one more question.where do i get this L&R lube?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts