HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have the Gen 2 GSG-5, and have made just about every upgrade available. I'm trying to put together a really solid .22 MP5 clone keeper. However there are a few minor, but annoying issues that are bugging me:

- Excessive play with magazine loaded.
- Cheap finish.
- Wobble with the A3 style sliding stock fully extended. Biggest annoyance. Using the CA metal one too, which is supposed to be the most solid.

I've considered going all out and having the GSG-5 refinished, and installing a Choate side folder as I've read this stock mounts solid as has zero play...even though I prefer the sliding stock.

But, if the Umarex is noticeably better in these areas I might just switch to that instead. So, my question is how does the Umarex MP5SD .22 compare in these particular areas?

- Any play with magazine loaded?
- Does the finish feel durable, or could it use an upgrade also?
- How solid is the sliding stock fully extended? Comparable to a real MP5 slider? I assume NONE of the Choate or real HK stocks mount up to the Umarex?
- Also, how is the rubber front grip on the SD version? Wiggle free? The SD grip on the GSG-5 is ROCK solid which I'm very pleased with.

I appreciate any feedback!

·
Registered
18,635 Posts
I have an MP5SD6 .22.

- No play with magazine loaded
- Finish is excellent though the ink on the pictograms will wear off if you rub it too much with cleaner
- You can buy the Umarex-brand A2 stock and I would prefer that over the A3 stock. The stock A3 retractable stock is pretty tight but has very minor wobble.
- Front grip is very solid. It's hard plastic, not rubber.

Here's mine with the A3 stock. I don't have a pic with the A2 on it yet.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

Ah, didn't know the front grip was not rubber. Probably not a big deal, but it does feel nice.

Do you know about how much play the stock has extended? I just checked mine, and I would say it's a good 1/4" side to side, and maybe 1/8" up/down. Again, I'm not sure if this is typical even on the real MP5, since it just doesn't seem like there is much meat back there to hold it in place.

Lastly, do you get wear marks from the sliding stock? Perhaps this is just a problem with the cheap finish on the GSG.

·
Premium Member
3,514 Posts
I find the finish on the SD6 very easy to mar, much worse on than on the 416D. I've got wear on mine showing from just collapsing and extending the A3 stock a few times, as well as trying a couple of different scope mounts.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
I have both guns and will do a youtube video comparing both of them. Overall the Umarex version is better.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hmm, yeah it sounds like that's just another drawback with the slider. In that case I would probably lean towards the Choate adjustable folder since there's no wobble and it won't wear the finish like the slider operation.

And if I decide to stick with the GSG-5SD I think I would get the upper and cocking tube Cerakoted for a really durable finish. It will end up being an expensive .22 lol, but hopefully one that will then last. That would solve 2 out of 3 of my nitpicks, and I'd just have to live with the little wobble in the magazine.

Skullbox, a lot of reviews I've read comparing the GSG-5 and Umarex, totally stock, out of the box, largely favor the Umarex, but would your opinion still be the same with a fully upgraded GSG (not sure what's done to yours)? (ie. screws replaced, push pins, buffer, paint refinish, wobble free stock)? I'm leaning towards just sticking with what I got and finishing it off with the final upgrades mentioned above. Looking forward to your video review however.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Hmm, yeah it sounds like that's just another drawback with the slider. In that case I would probably lean towards the Choate adjustable folder since there's no wobble and it won't wear the finish like the slider operation.

And if I decide to stick with the GSG-5SD I think I would get the upper and cocking tube Cerakoted for a really durable finish. It will end up being an expensive .22 lol, but hopefully one that will then last. That would solve 2 out of 3 of my nitpicks, and I'd just have to live with the little wobble in the magazine.

Skullbox, a lot of reviews I've read comparing the GSG-5 and Umarex, totally stock, out of the box, largely favor the Umarex, but would your opinion still be the same with a fully upgraded GSG (not sure what's done to yours)? (ie. screws replaced, push pins, buffer, paint refinish, wobble free stock)? I'm leaning towards just sticking with what I got and finishing it off with the final upgrades mentioned above. Looking forward to your video review however.
I did a lot of mods to my GSG. Both versions I have are the SD ones. I wasn't a fan of the screw upgrade. The biggest thing I hated about the GSG was the breakdown and cleaning. The Umarex has much better internals and are trouble free (for me at least). I have both fixed and retractable stocks for the Umarex and GSG. I'll take a good at both guns and try to do a video on some of the details others don't mention.

One thing I noticed was the mag springs on the GSG seem to be stronger than the Umarex. However, I haven't had any problems with the Umarex mags and I did with the GSG ones. I have a few more videos in line of this one, but I think it's a good idea so I'll try to make it sometime next week.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I think a video going over the specifics on the pros and cons of each would be really helpful for future buyers. Whats your YouTube channel btw?

·
Registered
87 Posts
the latest GSG retractable stock has almost no wobble its far better than the CA or original plastic cap GSG

its even better than the one that comes with the HK model i have owned both . I wish the HK stock was a tight as the current GSG stock

there is another think that bugs me about the HK model if you ever removed the fake can on the GSG you find a skinny barrel well its far more skinnier
on the HK model so skinny i am afraid i'll bend it some day on accident . I don't see why they could not just use barrel with some thickness to it rather than somthing i could slide a straw over.

other than that the Umarex HK rules

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh wow that's good to know. Yeah I was curious how the new GSG stock compared to the CA metal version.

I never was impressed with the skinny GSG barrel either. But at least the fake cans help to protect them.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Oh wow that's good to know. Yeah I was curious how the new GSG stock compared to the CA metal version.

I never was impressed with the skinny GSG barrel either. But at least the fake cans help to protect them.
Funny thing you mention the GSG barrel, it's actually thicker than the Umarex. Here you go, it's probably not my best comparison but I did it off the top of my head:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Excellent video! Definitely the most in depth one I've seen to date covering the specific pros and cons of each. Yeah the barrel seems to be the main downside to the Umarex, not only in the thickness but also how the shroud threads onto the end of the barrel. But otherwise the Umarex appears to win in all other categories, if even by a slight margin in some categories.

Thanks for taking the time to make that. I wasn't expecting a 20+ minute video lol!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts