HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m going to be submitting the paperwork to SBR my TB UMP conversion (it still has the 16” factory barrel). I plan on getting an 8” HDPS barrel and keeping the stock USC barrel “as is”.

My question is about the purpose/usefulness of the flanged barrel. The threaded barrel is pretty obvious, but I can’t figure out what purpose the flanged barrel serves. It’s not the tri-lug configuration, so what purpose does it serve?

I'm 99% certain that I’ll get the threaded version, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something!

·
Premium Member
3,928 Posts
The flanged looks original, but unless you have a suppressor with a mount for the flange, meh

There is some cool factor, no doubt. But if you are going to shoot suppressed there are better options.

I've posted about my preference

and I like the silencerco b&t pattern mount and adapter too.

·
LOW SPEED, HIGH DRAG
452 Posts
^^^ What he said. Get the SiCo 3-lug and ask Tommy to thread it onto whatever barrel (threaded) you buy. I’d skip that flanged foreskin barrel. Too few cans use them.

SiCo 3-lug on my UMP:

·
Registered
227 Posts
To this day, I cannot figure out why HK made the UMP with a flange mount barrel, especially when their 3-Lug 9mm barrels had done so well. If you're never going to run a suppressor, then the traditional flange mount barrel is the way to go, as it's more authentic and allows for attaching a flange flash hider. But it you want to run a suppressor, 100% go with a modern 3-Lug barrel set up/

Reactions: Navy87Guy
1 - 5 of 5 Posts