HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired a UMP parts kit for use with my black USC. My goal is to SBR with USC in order to use the UMP barrel on the weapon. However, there are a few questions I have before I begin the conversion process.

First and foremost, for those of you who have a SBR USC, where are you stamping your NFA information? And who did you use to do it? Pics?

Next, I know that Tactical Excellence is out of the USC conversion game so how is the HDPS conversion? I thought a while ago I read a thread comparing the stock blocks of both companies and how the TE one was "more authentic". For those with HDPS blocks, how are they? And if you had a conversion done through HDPS, did you get the UMP vent cuts in the forearm?

That's all I can think of for now. I am sure another will come up soon. :)

Thanks.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm probably going to have it engraved on the underside of the barrel, so it can be seen through the cooling slot on the underside of the handguard. To be honest, I've spoken with other people who own NFA type weapons who responed something like, "Engrave what? I've had this thing for X years (and in one case, someone from ATF actually inspected the weapon), and nobody said anything to me about engraving it." So, I'm sure an ATF inspector would rather have it there than not at all. My main reason for doing this is that I can't find anyone locally who will engrave into polymer, but they will engrave metal.

I just got mine back from Jeff at TE, and I couldn't be more thrilled with the build quality...however, if TE didn't exist, HDPS would be my first choice, as I've only heard of one individual having issues with his weapon from them; I've heard of many more with Top Notch, so I'd go with HDPS.

As always, just my $0.02...

·
Registered
21 Posts
First and foremost, for those of you who have a SBR USC, where are you stamping your NFA information? And who did you use to do it? Pics?
Anyone with a laser engraver can do it or you can send it to me in Houston. I can also do the conversion for you.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Anyone with a laser engraver can do it or you can send it to me in Houston. I can also do the conversion for you.

That's a neat place to put the engraving...does it meet the ATF's requirements for font size?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Sweet! I still think that's just plain awesome...that area's out of focus when you're shooting the gun anyway, so it wouldn't even be noticeable unless you're focusing on the rear sight for some reason.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got my USC to UMP conversion done by Ed at HDPS and he did a very fine job. I haven't snapped any photos of it, but I can attest to his quality handiwork. I also had mine engraved by Ed on the opposite side of the ejection port. The HDPS "missing link" piece took a while to finally get crafted, but it is awesome and well worth the price. Don't even bat an eyelash when dealing with Ed. I spoke to him on the phone several times during the process and he was very helpful. Good luck and happy converting! :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
I got my USC to UMP conversion done by Ed at HDPS and he did a very fine job. I haven't snapped any photos of it, but I can attest to his quality handiwork. I also had mine engraved by Ed on the opposite side of the ejection port. The HDPS "missing link" piece took a while to finally get crafted, but it is awesome and well worth the price. Don't even bat an eyelash when dealing with Ed. I spoke to him on the phone several times during the process and he was very helpful. Good luck and happy converting! :)
What's this missing link piece?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just my reference to the aluminum block that adapts the HK and/or BT folding stock to the USC receiver (hence missing link). For a while, Jeff from Tactical Excellence was the only one to have it, but it was included only with having him do a complete conversion (which he did very good jobs for people). Jeff is now out of business in the USC to UMP market (as far as I last heard) and Ed at HDPS is I believe the only quality manufacturer of said part. It has to be specially machined as you're mating the upper of the USC and the lower of the UMP, so the block is a unique piece. Again, Ed is the "go-to" guy for this part now. Good luck!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Maybe I should have phrased it as - what would "technically" be the "smarter" place to mark it - on the serialized part or a non-serialized part.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts