HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Class 3 form finally came in this week. I like the simplicity of the mounting design, but it is a pain in the ass to pull up that release tab after a few rounds. If you get on do NOT use anything heavier than Rem Oil or it creates a hydrostatic seal and you will have a real bitch of a time removing the can. I also just got the 3X Eotech magnifier, they are VERY cool. The only thing I don't like is the complexity of the adjusting system and that it didn't come with a thumb screw to mount the whole setup to the rail. Other than that, it was a great idea and fulfilled need.

M

·
0 Posts
Who did your conversion?

Also, what do you mean by not using anything heavier than RemOil or you will create a hydrostatic seal?

Thanks.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
http://www.tacticalexcellence.com/ did the conversion. They do the best work I have seen and at the time were quick and very inexpensive considering the quality of work.

As far as the Rem oil. Unless you get your barrel threaded, the only model suppressor that fits the factory UMP barrel is the Gentech with "quick attatch" latch. "quick attatch" is far from the truth: it is a pain in the ass to get off. The new model has .40 cal marked on the latch end of the suppressor but is sized and marked marked .45 below the manufacturing name and SN#. The older ones with the .45 cal latch were too loose when locked. Well now it is WAY too tight. There is a spring loaded ball bearing that helps to keep the latch down on the gun. I lubricated it with grease and shot it a bit. Then I couldn't get it to unlock. I called Gemtech and they explained that you need to use very thin lubrication because the tolerances are so small that thick grease creates a suction and actually makes the suppressor to small to fit.

Suppressor Link: http://www.gem-tech.com/UMP.html

Sorry, long answer to a fairly short question.

Now the good news. After latching and unlatching a few hundred times it will get easier but at the same time stay locked very well. And lastly, and more importantly- it works GREAT- very quiet, light and nice looking (as suppressors go).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Bob I was thinking about threading the barrel to my USC/UMP to use my Blackslide. I then decided that greasing it would suck and if it comes loose in 25 rounds and I blow it off the end I would cry. Is this one totally dry? is it worth me dropping 1k on it? Also do you have a real UMP barrel or a aftermarket? I looked into HDPS for a barrel and they sound like a good way to go. But any info you could give would be great.

PS my blackslide is sweet....when greased :)

Thanks
Dragon

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have both a top notch and a factory UMP barrel. Besides the markings, you can not tell the difference in the flange. I am not a fan of using ANY suppressor "wet" even if it is supposed to be used that way. I do take a small amount of RB-17 gel an inject it in with a small pump, but less then 5cc. I put it in the 2nd or third baffle and do not always do it (only when I shoot in my back yard).

Is it worth a grand? It's up to you. Even though it is a pain to remove right now, I love the concept. You never have to deal with thread protectors, worry about damaging the threads, and it will not loosen. I highly recommend it

·
Registered
340 Posts
Once again I am jealous. I was just down at SAR and picked up all of the stuff to do a UMP conversion and was really wanting to get a silencer. I had a chance to handle the B&T ump can and mess with the mount on a gun. It seemed superior to the gemtech mount but unfortunatly civilians cant own an imported silencer.

I think the gemtech will be the way I go as well, thanks for the pictures and information.

Also the Eotech magnifiers are really sweet as well. I will be getting one of those shortly.

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
WOW :43: I understand it´s considered blasphemy on Tom´s web, but I really like the UMP design a lot over the MP5 :74:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts