HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
My 2 cents....get a US made bbl and have it cut and threaded same as a HKtac45. Now you can have a wide gamut of cans to consider including HEMS45, KAC, Gemtech, AAC, QSM, etc.

·
Premium Member
3,891 Posts
My 2 cents....get a US made bbl and have it cut and threaded same as a HKtac45. Now you can have a wide gamut of cans to consider including HEMS45, KAC, Gemtech, AAC, QSM, etc.

this is a very good idea, not only do you have a wide variety of cans, you have the ability to use the can on both your UMP and TAC, although you need a Neilsen device (recoil booster) for your TAC?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the ideas guys. I had considered that, but just didn't want to spend another $250 on a barrel. I could sell the UMP barrel and get some money back. The modularity of the threaded barrel and availability of more suppressors may make up that difference, I guess.

I'd still like to hear if others have experience with the the UMP QD suppressors though.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have a GemTech UMP and it is great. It is a blast to shoot and it is hearing safe. I have never seen the AAC version so I can not really compare.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
There really aren't any good choices for silencers on a UMP. The B&T is imported, so you cannot have it, the AAC is no longer made, and the Gemtech does not attach properly to HDPS barrels (according to HDPS).

·
Registered
11 Posts
I own a AAC UMP and I had my share of problems. Had to send it back to AAC 4 times to finally get it right. Had a factory UMP 45 barrel and it wouldn't lock up on the suppressor mount. I told them to adjust the mount on the suppressor since the barrel being german was obvously not the problem. Well instead they still machine down the flange on the barrel instead of the suppressor. Knew this cause the base of the flange was now shinny steel instead of the factory finish Then after it would finally fit on the barrel the suppressor would freely spin. The internal mount must have broke loose from the tube. Lastly the bullets were hitting the exit hole of the suppressor and causing them to hit quite erratically. The end of the suppressor had to be machined more for it not to strike. Wish I had gotten the gemtech, but at that time gemtech didn't have the ump suppressor out. Although AAC did ultimatly fix the problem, that experence personally has turned me off of AAC for future purchases. The machining and modification of my german UMP barrel mainly was the cause.

The main difference for me is the felt recoil is very noticable with the suppressor attached. It feels about like twice the recoil than with no suppressor. I never had noticed this on my roller locked rifles, and was told its due to the direct blow back system. I have always been the one to shoot it, so I don't know what it sounds like other than being right there next to it. It sounds louder than the mp5 9mm suppressed, but it is nice not to have to worry about subsonic rounds.

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
I have the Gemtech UMP can and recommend it. I've used it with both a factory UMP barrel and one with a flange added with no connection issues. It's quick and easy to attach, lightweight, and functions fine.

The biggest limitation was pointed out earlier in this thread - the unique attachment system limits the transportability to other platforms.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the ideas guys. I had considered that, but just didn't want to spend another $250 on a barrel. I could sell the UMP barrel and get some money back. The modularity of the threaded barrel and availability of more suppressors may make up that difference, I guess.

I'd still like to hear if others have experience with the the UMP QD suppressors though.
As Renegade said, you can't own the B&T. AAC has not had any UMP silencers in stock in the last twor or three years according to an employee there. Gemtech is the only option. Here are some pictures and video for you...

Video of attaching and detaching the silencer.
http://www.silencerresearch.com/gemtechump45.wmv

I have metered this silencer and first round pop is in the upper 130's and then subsequent shots are in the low 130's. All are hearing safe. I also find that the suppressor helps reduce the violent recoil of the 45 ACP round in this short lightweight weapon.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Well guys, I'm about to complete my 9mm UMP SBR...what should I do for a surpressor given I don't own a .40 or .45?? I have a TN barrel...and the flange looks like it would work perfectly with the Gemtech but I would hate to get it if the .40 and .45 size is just far to large to do any sort of good suppression. What are your thoughts??

·
Registered
179 Posts
If suppression is the key factor to you go with a 9, versatility, get the 45.
Unfortunately Pi r^2 tends to work against "effective" suppression as cal. increases. On a one to one basis 9-10mm seems to be about the point of diminishing returns.

I wouldn't oversize a 9 unless I had the other, or would shortly.
My .02, being a 45 guy.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Well, the main reason I'm going with a 9mm UMP is to keep my calibers consistent. I've got a 9mm MP5K, MP5, Glock 17, etc, etc. It's nice to just buy 1,000's of rounds of 9mm and have it work in so many firearms.

On a different note I just got off the phone the Gemtech. The suggested that I thread the barrel and add a 3-lug adaptor so I could use their Raptor II suppressor. Do any of you have experience with threading a 3-lug adaptor on a barrel that typically didn't come with it?

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
On a different note I just got off the phone the Gemtech. The suggested that I thread the barrel and add a 3-lug adaptor so I could use their Raptor II suppressor. Do any of you have experience with threading a 3-lug adaptor on a barrel that typically didn't come with it?
This is the way to go for a UMP9. There are many smiths who can thread it 1/2x28RH so you can the install the TROS adaptor.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Even if you were to get the Gemtech UMP suppressor, I doubt it would fit the 9mm barrel. I can tell you for certain that the 40/45 B&T flashhider doesn't fit the 9mm barrel, it is too large. Assuming that you have an aftermarket UMP 9mm barrel, I agree with the others...chop it and have it threaded and/or 3-lugged.

Thanks,
James

·
Registered
104 Posts
Thanks guys that's very helpful indeed!!

Renegade, do you have a link to the TROS adaptor? I've never seen on and I need to start my search now as I'm sure this is really going to take some time. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Well, Mark McWillis (TROS) has had mine since April to do a 3-lug job. His family had some medical issues back in June, and he wasn't doing much work at the time. I don't know if things have gotten any better for him recently, but I haven't heard anything from him since then. Once I get mine back, I'll let you know how it works.

Thanks,
James

·
Registered
187 Posts
Thread the barrel or get the TROS adapter and get a SWR Trident. You can use it on all your 9's with various back ends if you want to.

·
Registered
12 Posts
One Man,

Here's Mark's web site: http://www.trosusa.com/ . They do very good work. I have one of his first .308 suppressors and am very happy with it. He also made me a custom thread adapter and cut/threaded/recrowned the barrel on my 700 LTR for me. All were excellent workmanship. I would not hesitate to try one of his adapters if they fit your need.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Wow, thanks a lot! The workmanship on his 3-lug adaptor looks spot on. I think I'll be giving Mark a call and sending my barrel off shortly. I am in your debt for the help. Thank you very much.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts