HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering on this gun with the different flip up rear sights. Are they for different ranges or they just giving you an option between the two. They appear just to be an option however one, the notch, is hitting way low compared to the ghost ring. Thanks

·
Registered
887 Posts
Just a different sight picture. I find the USC to be quite accurate at 50 yards and prefer the 'ghost ring' sight myself.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I am guessing, but...

Normally the two are for "day/night" - "close/far" circumstances ofshooting.

The "notch" is probably for you "day/long distance" times of shooting. the smaller focus point makes the shooter get colser to the sight, making them concentrate more on the shot, which should allow for more accurate shots at a greater distance.

The "ghost ring" sight should act as you "close/night" methode of application. Because there is less light at night, the larger aptaure allows for the eye to gather the most light by staying open, instead of squinting, like you would do for a distance shot. Also, it allows for a quicker pickup of a target that is in close, with a greater hit rate...speed + accuracy.

All of this, are basic things for shooting period. the .45acp rnd is only going to travel so far til it starts to drop, 100 yds for a man sized target out of a 16" barrel, so take that distance ratio for a shorter UMP barrel, anything further, is like throwing a rock.

Just a guess.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have yet to find a use for the notch sight. I've shot out to 50 yards with mine, and I ended up changing the sights out to the dual-aperture rear offered by XS Sight Systems; this way, I've got a large ghost ring for rapid aquisition, and a smaller aperture ghost ring that makes it considerably easier to squeeze off accurate shots at longer ranges.

Before I made that change, I couldn't fire the gun any more accurately with the notch than the ghost ring, even at long range, so I didn't see the point in it.

Just my $0.02...

Edit: I just wanted to add that, while my dad was trying mine out, I noticed that I could actually see the bullets in flight, lol...and they definitely dropped a bit. They're slow, but if they don't penetrate the target, they'll sure as hell knock him down. :) I have a feeling that shooting this thing at 100 yards might work better with grenade sights. ;)

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Sturmgrief do you have a pic and link to the sights you are using? Also anyone ever thought about using a front TrueGlo type front sight? I thought it might be very helpful as far as quick target acquisition especially in lower light conditions.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Here's a link to the XS information page (you can order them here, too).

http://xssights.com/store/tactical.html

Just scroll down to the H&K section; the set I got have no tritium in the rear, but the dual aperture is very nice (large for stock folded, small for stock extended, for me anyway).

I noticed a few sets on Sturmgewehr for alot cheaper than from XS, btw. When I get home, I'll take a couple pics of my sights, but that won't be until about 0600 tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
^^^Thank you sir. Those are some interesting sights, I didn't know that were stuff like that out there. I'll need to look into that more.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Ah, crap, I forgot to take a couple pics when I got home...I'll do it this morning, promise. :)

Oh, and btw, although the XS sights are nice, they don't necessarily increase accuracy; mainly faster acquisition, dual ghost rings, and front night sight.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I find the stock sights to be very accurate.
Down here I can only use my USC on the public range for rifles as such I'm stuck with it at 50 yards and 100 yards. At 50 yards the front blade just about covers the entire target stand I use. I ended up shooting up the right leg.........quite consistently I might add. LOL

Anyhow for shorter distances I don't see an issue, but longer distances I do after all the UMP was not originally designed to be shooting at people at longer ranges.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Here are some pics of mine with the XS sights installed:

Sorry for the crappy quality (and the mess at my parents' house; I had to borrow their camera because mine's broken); photography isn't one of my strong points. :eek:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts