HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I was bored and saw USC prices fell so...

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the only problems you'd have doing this realistically is it obviously couldn't fire with stock folded and what would probably kill it is I'm not sure there'd be enough travel on the charging handle to operate the bolt.

Otherwise I think it would be very simple for Chopstixkid or Tbostic.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Short mag for more mp5k-esque look. I wish I had the money to do these things for real, lol.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, my mspaint skills arent that good.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Looks like the image on the YHM site in the 45 Wraith QD XL section is what you used to start..

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yeah it has almost no angle to the image. That and the YHM can looks awesome on there. I have my UMP threaded for a can on the flange like the picture.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Couldn't resist.......

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Someone with a UMP/USC that's actually put together see if you can chamber your first round if you don't push the charging handle back all the way, as in like 2 inches from all the way back please?
I would do it.. but mine is in pieces.. lots and lots of pieces!

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
You guys pretty much covered it all.

Charging system modifications and a K-length barrel not giving enough gas pressure for the simple blowback design of the UMP would be my two concerns.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
2 1/16th inch minimum to strip a round. That gets the bolt just behind the rim of the case 1/16th in. Stripped Tula FMJ into battery.

I was thinking about it though, if you are cutting up the receiver anyway why not just extend the notch into the receive like they do with the HK51?

Hadn't considered cycling issues. I suppose since it is just blowback a lighter spring might work?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Although then it may not have the force to strip the round at that short of a distance (requiring the HK51 style cut).

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Cool design, possibly drilling into the bolt (like they do with the UMP bolts for the tungsten shot) but not putting anything in, would reduce the weight (although same with the delay) enough to properly cycle.

As for the charging handle, you could probably just get rid of the entire "lock" system and get rid of an inch and a half of length on the cocking handle support, equally a small spring detent could lock it into something to hold it from rattling back and forth. Although you would almost be forced to epoxy the rails onto the gun, unless you drilled and put steel threaded inserts through the back/inside to hold the rails at the front.

Seriously though, even if you cut 2 or 3 inches off the front of the gun, it's still big enough that it probably wouldn't be a great concealable type gun like the MP5-K is. The UMP just has a big beefy receiver because it has the enormous bolt with no delay system on it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yeah it has almost no angle to the image. That and the YHM can looks awesome on there. I have my UMP threaded for a can on the flange like the picture.
I decided to cut a semi barrel down for a QD can so it would look more seamless, might make a thread protector out of the flanged end but with the QD flashider no point in doing so now, can should be in soon..

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If hdps ever comes out with their receiver I may guinea pig this.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I decided to cut a semi barrel down for a QD can so it would look more seamless, might make a thread protector out of the flanged end but with the QD flashider no point in doing so now, can should be in soon..
Actually judging from that pic, if you took the middle section out and plastic welded it back together, you wouldn't need anything special other than the rails to attach picatinny rails to it, since you're keeping the front threaded studs. Interdasting!

The short barrel on that thing looks good, must be especially nice with a can on it.

I was actually considering (when I got my barrel made) to have a 10 or 11" barrel, chop off the entire front sight tower and add an Ar15 front sight base to it :eek:

Would have given it a REALLY different look, although would make taking the barrel out interesting without some special QR method for the front sight (not that I take the barrel out anyways)

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
I was thinking about it though, if you are cutting up the receiver anyway why not just extend the notch into the receive like they do with the HK51?
You nailed it, that's exactly what you'd have to do assuming that the cut doesn't need to go back far enough to compromise strength of the receiver, but I don't think it would.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts