HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think the 45acp is a great round but I would rather have an AR in 5.56 for the penetration. I have a both and the 5.56 gives you more options with its range. In the video they call the UMP a assualt rifle. It's actually a SMG and that's why it uses a pistol round.

·
Premium Member
3,963 Posts
Interesting. Ideally they would have both a subgun and a rifle... Neither one, a rifle or a subgun, completely fill the other's role.

I think the penetration argument for the 5.56 round has ben debunked by the most recent penetration tests run by the FBI. that report stated a 9mm, .40, and .45 regularly penetrated deeper and more consistantly than the 5.56, but it is typically more accurate, mostly because it is normally fired from a longer barrell than the handgun rounds.

Overall, just glad those cops are getting some good equipment...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Video clip news report mess up!!

I found it interesting that the reported claimed the weapon in the video was an AK47 and it actually was an SKS. Also the UMP only has a 25 round magazine so in theory..all the UMP can hold is 25+1 in the chamber=26 rounds...not 27 like the reporter said. These guys are horrible with the news. They should make sure the information they pump out is correct and truthful.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Actually you can fit 27 rounds in the .45 UMP mags usually. I don't do this though as I like to stick to what Hk says should go into it...So the reporter is kind of right I guess. I bet one of the guys at the range put that many into the magazine and then just told the reporter.

·
Registered
434 Posts
The FBI report had to do with Drywall penetration if I remember correct. Yes the 9mm and others travelled more deeply into walls... but that was abad thing. The good thing was that the lighter faster 5.56 lost energy so quickly that it was able to be stopped by a few pieces of drywall... Thats a good thing in a urban setting for LEO.

The HK36k and such are becoming popular because of these factors, think the 4.6 and the 5.7mm rounds, they are less powerfull than the 5.56, but they can weave through body armor enough to take a threat down, but dont keep cutting through everything else.

Also the barrel lenght has nothing to do with accuracy (So long as the round can be stablized with enough lenght), the barrel length allows the force of the expanding gasses to propel the projecticle to higher velocities, the faster the bullet, the more energy.

Hence how a 55gr 5.56 has so much more energy than the slow moving 230gr 45.

Its all about energy transfer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts