HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about an MP-5 or MP-5SD for a long time. With the widespread availability of 147gr 9mm and no need to run NATO spec battlefield "pick ups" subsonically, I began to ask myself why would I want a ported barrel 9mm? With 115/124gr loads, I want as much smack down as I can get so why bleed off gas pressure? I can always run 147's if I really want to avoid the sonic boom of supersonic shots. The natural evolution was to a 40S&W unported version. Without the ported barrel, the suppressor essentially becomes a reflex style can with a much larger primary blast chamber so, I'm thinking only good things come from this change.

Who owns or has shot an unported SD model? How was it? Better, worse or, the same as a ported MP-5SD?

·
Registered
134 Posts
It's not going to be as quiet as an SD, but it will be as heavy as one. A K-PDW makes a lot more sense if you're just going to have a gun that looks like an SD but doesn't function like one.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
We have built a few MP5Sd's in 9mm without the ports for guys that do there own loading, they run 147 subsonic and its very close to the ported guns in sound reduction and function. We have also put an MP5K-PDW barrels in the SD builds so you don't have to own an SD suppressor and can use your multi-use cans.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We have also put an MP5K-PDW barrels in the SD builds so you don't have to own an SD suppressor and can use your multi-use cans.
:cool:

I guess I need to start researching ~1.5" suppressor options as something like an AWC MK-9/GT MK-9K that would fit within the shroud would be sweet. Having a suppressor that isn't 'married' to its host is attractive too.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
:cool:

I guess I need to start researching ~1.5" suppressor options as something like an AWC MK-9/GT MK-9K that would fit within the shroud would be sweet. Having a suppressor that isn't 'married' to its host is attractive too.
Fit a MK-9K in a SD body and I would be seriously interested.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I believe both of those are too big (diameter) to fit within the factory shroud which supports something in the area of ~1.6". If they fit a stock MK-9, .... :biggrin:
MK-9K is 2"dia. What is the MK-9?

Here is the Mk-9k in a HK factory Shroud, fits well the depth is just for display
That looks like the Omega-9K ?

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Definitely an Omega 9K. Silencer manufacturers need to come up with some new names, everything is too similar sounding.

MK-9K would be the size of the handguard.
Well then lets just wrap the handguard around the MK-9K, let it cover up the 3-Lug and it will work PERFECT!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts