HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
this is a P7 I bought in the early 90's. I bought it new in the box and it was imported through a company in Florida. It was sold as a factory hard chrome finish (it is definetly NOT nickel), chambered in 9mm, and has a flush fitted wide European mag release (not the smaller protruding one on the PSP).

The serial number is 78768 if that helps.

You guys are the experts so please let me know what I have here and if it is rare or not. Thank you in advance!

HK%20PSP%20Gen%20II.jpeg IMG_0627.jpg

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Do a search on the site for "P7" and "chrome" together. There have been a couple of threads recently (and some older ones) that talk about chrome plated P7s that were imported by a company in Florida.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Yes it is rare & I forget the name of the company off the top of my head at the moment (RTG or something) but they were the importer/distributor back in the late 80's that had all their P7 variants HC'd in Germany but they were not HC'd at the factory if I recall correctly. The name of the company was usually engraved on the right side of the frame just under the slide if you look carefully.

·
Registered
193 Posts
That is an interesting pistol. Late model P7 PSP pistol should be imported by "RTB CORP MIAMI FL". Please post a photo of the markings on the other side. It should have a two letter date code, I would guess probably "KA" by the serial number range making it 1990. The pistol was refinished by RTB as HK Obendorf never offered a hard chrome finish. What makes this pistol interesting is the fact they took a P7 M series heat shield and retrofitted it to the P7 PSP. Again this was never offered by HK and was done by someone else. Can you please also remove it and take a picture of how they machined the trigger guard to fit it. It should pop right off if you press the bottom part of the heat shield towards the trigger. As all the modifications were made by someone outside HK, even though the pistol is not common, its not really collectible either IMHO. Its a nice shooter for sure that will last you a long time with the hard chrome finish and the heat shield is a nice ad-on when you are putting a lot of rounds downrange during practice and the pistol heats up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello Maxim,
Thank you for the good info. You are exactly correct that it is marked "RTB CORP MIAMI FL". I also searched as Callahan suggested and found very similar infor. Chromed in Germany and imported that way but not done at the HK factory. It is a great shooter and I really like the wide mag release for concealed carry....anyone who carries a P7 in the back and has heard the distinctive "click" ans the normal mag release trips when sitting down knows exactly what I mean! :^) Used to happen to me when getting into a car seat.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
193 Posts
The chrome job was probably done in USA. All of the RTB guns I have seen have been chromed on top of their import markings. Most likely they were marked "RTB CORP MIAMI FL" after import into USA and then sent for chroming. Also that would make more sense financially to have them chromed in USA.

You are welcome for the information. I would love to see how they machined the trigger guard to accept the heat shield as well as how they shortened the heat shield itself. It should come off by pressing on both corners of the shields in the direction of the arrow. Pops right back on as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello Dave,
I just gave it a try. I pushed hard on the shield but it did'nt come off. That sucker is one there! I was afraid I was going to break it as it does seem pretty thin plastic.

·
Registered
193 Posts
My name is Maxim and my friends call me Max. :)

No worries. I hope they did not just super glue it in there. On older P7s I like to remove the heat shield and clean the area as over time moisture can collect there. Its not as much of an issue on a hard chrome guns though so you should be okay.

·
Registered
193 Posts
The shield wont break easily, its made out of polymer. Here is what a P7M13 with the heat shield removed looks like. I never removed this heat shield on this P7 and it actually was a bit stiff as well. I used a plastic non marring stick (aka 3M soldering tool) and gave it a tap with a small hammer to remove it. The shield need to bend a little to be removed. Basically there is a hole above the trigger in the frame that a latch slides into and then a small indent in the heat shield pops into the grove in the front of the trigger guard. With the shield removed you can see gas piston tube through the hole above the trigger. Now that I look at it I see the hole was bored from the top, when the frame did not have the barrel installed yet. I doubt they removed the barrel on your P7 just to bore that hole as its quite hard to do. They probably did just glued it in place, so best not try to remove it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Max. The shield looks the same but it does seem like more work than its worth to do all that machining on the frame. I bet it is bonded on somehow as well. Watever they did, it has stayed put through a lot of rounds and two decades!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hello all,
this is a P7 I bought in the early 90's. I bought it new in the box and it was imported through a company in Florida. It was sold as a factory hard chrome finish (it is definetly NOT nickel), chambered in 9mm, and has a flush fitted wide European mag release (not the smaller protruding one on the PSP).

The serial number is 78768 if that helps.

You guys are the experts so please let me know what I have here and if it is rare or not. Thank you in advance!

View attachment 11667 View attachment 11668
I also have a P7 that was imported by RTB Corp. Mine is a blued version and does not have the modified heat shield. I've seen some M8 and M13s imported by them but not too many regular P7s. IMG_4437.jpg IMG_4439.jpg RTB stamp.jpg

1 - 11 of 11 Posts