HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys,
I have the CA legal ( 10 Round)MAGS, 2 old and 2 Brand new .
Here is the thing........ ever since i bout my gun late last year, I never
actually topped off the whole mag as i was going to teh range and just putting in 5 rounds to practice.
Last couple of times, I ve tried loading the mag with 10 rounds and the the mag just wont go up and seat itself , basically it sticking out and I cant shoot.
Is there something I dont know about the gun? is it supposed to be that way?
So I tried all 4 mags with 10 rounds and it wont work. BUT.......if I have the slide
raked all teh way backan locked, I can actually insert the mag and when the slide is released, it does chamber the round. I ve tried this with reg. range ammo as well as speer gold dot.
I am wondering what I ve missed. Pls give me your input. esp BigBore!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
do you have any problem getting the 10th round in the mag? i have a problem like that alot. then i take all the rounds out and put them back in and they all go in. dont know what to make of that.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Guys,
I have the CA legal ( 10 Round)MAGS, 2 old and 2 Brand new .
Here is the thing........ ever since i bout my gun late last year, I never
actually topped off the whole mag as i was going to teh range and just putting in 5 rounds to practice.
Last couple of times, I ve tried loading the mag with 10 rounds and the the mag just wont go up and seat itself , basically it sticking out and I cant shoot.
Is there something I dont know about the gun? is it supposed to be that way?
So I tried all 4 mags with 10 rounds and it wont work. BUT.......if I have the slide
raked all teh way backan locked, I can actually insert the mag and when the slide is released, it does chamber the round. I ve tried this with reg. range ammo as well as speer gold dot.
I am wondering what I ve missed. Pls give me your input. esp BigBore!!!
When you're putting a mag in with the slide closed, you are actually compressing the mag spring a little more, because the top round must be pushed against the slide under spring pressure so it can be fed into the chamber when the slide returns.

So when the mag is full, the force required to further compress the spring is the greatest.

First - have you tried giving it a good smack with the palm of your hand when inserting the mag? No need to be gentle, get it started and then smack it up there. If that still won't work, how about one with 9 rounds?

Try that out and see if that helps.

There is a similar situation with an MP5 - the 30 round mags actually hold 31, but make it impossible to seat the mag if the bolt is closed because you can't compress the rounds far enough into the mag for the mag latch to catch. But if you put the mag in with an open bolt, it will strip the 31st round just fine.

But you shouldn't be able to load an 11th round into 10 round USP mags. Or can you? Are you sure there are really only 10 rounds in there? Just some things to check.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guys,
So what I did now is thumped the bottom of the mag hard and it went up all the way.....! But i am kinda nervous doing that because of the amount of force that I had to apply. And I did count the rounds , 10 in all, cant insert another one in so 10 it is. I also noticed that when I released the mag with 10 rounds still in the mag( 10th round not chambered) the mag release is much tighter? where as with 9 rounds, it doesnt need a hard push on the mag release. Are you guys sure it doesnt point to a problem in the future? I mean, if you are in a self defence situation, you can lose valuable time if you dont push the mag up with enough force.
Thanks ..............

·
Registered
802 Posts
That's why you learn always to slam your mag in. Learn that on my very first stage of my first IPSC match.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
What AviatorDave said pretty much sums it up. A hard smack on the bottom is what it takes to seat the mag when loaded to the gills and when the slide is dropped. Once you get use to hitting it hard to seat, and it does take a good smack, pretty soon you don't give it a second thought and you just whack it as a matter of course.

If you cannot get use to hitting it hard you can take it apart and trim off about 1/16 inch at a time from the legs of the follower. I have never had to do this but I have heard of it being done but if you do this and ruin the follower, you are on your own. New followers are about $6 IIRC.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Guys,
So what I did now is thumped the bottom of the mag hard and it went up all the way.....! But i am kinda nervous doing that because of the amount of force that I had to apply. And I did count the rounds , 10 in all, cant insert another one in so 10 it is. I also noticed that when I released the mag with 10 rounds still in the mag( 10th round not chambered) the mag release is much tighter? where as with 9 rounds, it doesnt need a hard push on the mag release. Are you guys sure it doesnt point to a problem in the future? I mean, if you are in a self defence situation, you can lose valuable time if you dont push the mag up with enough force.
Thanks ..............
Don't be nervous about it - smack it in there with authoritah! And if you're in a self-defense situation, you don't want to be gentle with inserting another mag anyways. Be sure that when you practice, you smack it up in there so that it becomes automatic. What you want to practice is holding the mag with your fingers just until getting it started in the mag well, then rotate your hand around so the floorplate of the mag is in the palm of your hand, and then just give it a good shove.

And no, it doesn't point to any problem in the future. If anything, it might even get a little easier once the parts all start to wear together.

·
Premium Member
3,979 Posts
Guys,
Thanks ..............
this is normal. it is just the presure of the mag spring being compressed against a fully loaded mag. Trust me, you are much bettor off with this issue, versus a mag spring that is too weak.. Don't worry, your USP will run like a champ..

good luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Just another thing to look at. When loading the rounds into the mag make sure the rounds stager from side to side. Ive noticed that the first few rounds want to stack directly on top of one another instead of side to side. This causes the rounds to take up more room and it is very difficult to insert all the rounds and concsequently insert into the handgun with the bolt closed. All my mags do this and Im not sure but it seems to be a poor design of the mag follower.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Spence, i will try that with the mag. Also, i was wondering if this has ever been addressed by HK. But Like other on this post told me, i am now just pushing the mag in a bit harder. that does work but like you said it may well be a design flaw.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
Thanks Spence, i will try that with the mag. Also, i was wondering if this has ever been addressed by HK. But Like other on this post told me, i am now just pushing the mag in a bit harder. that does work but like you said it may well be a design flaw.
A manufacturing defect, maybe, but a design flaw? Doubt it. It's not likely that thousands and thousands of USPs have all been sold with a design flaw. That's the way the mags are designed - they gradually separate two columns of bullets into a single column at the top. Any mag that works that way will always load the first few rounds directly on top of each other.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes I agree but the rounds are not pushing out to the sides and staggering as they should when fully loaded, they are still stacked on top of each other, causing the mag body to swell, and when fully loaded is very difficult to get the mag to fully insert-not due to the mag body swelling but I believe because the rounds are packed so tight. Occationally I am not able to load the mags to full capacity. If I tap the mag a few times after loading 6-8 rounds in the mag the bullets seem to stagger as they should and then I can load the mags to full capacity and they insert just fine into the frame. Is it just mine I do not know. I have had other issues with all of my 18round mags cracking where the basepad slides on the mag body. Also the mag followers become very "chewed up" after having a few hundred rounds loaded in them. Dont get me wrong because I love my HK's and I have quiet a few of them, but it just seems to me the mags seriously lack in quality. So much I may sell them all. I just find it unexceptable to have to settle for their inferior quality mags with their otherwise fine firearms. I have gone thru over a dozen 18 round mags thru my expert due to week mag springs and cracking mag bodies. I was only offering this person my experience and hoping this may help him. I love HK's and am not trying to engage heated discussions on this as there has been much talk on HK mags. Its just frustrating when you love to shoot HK's but must keep buying $60 mags because they cannot withstand more and 200-500 rounds and maintaine reliability. Somewhere Someone is dropping the ball.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Eaxctly my feelings too!!!!!!! Now these are 2 brand new mags that I just bought form CDNN like last week so I was worried. Do other brands have similar problems/issues like Glock/Sig? I would never compare Glock or any other to HK but I was just wondering if it is something common to others as well or .45 specificaly cuz of the size of the round. I dont think ideally one should have to tap the mag etc at least not on a hand gun.
I ve taken the advice from Aviator and just apply more force while putting the mag in for now. The mags that I had when I first noticed this problem were not new one as I got the new ones just last week .I had actually bought this gun used but in excellent condition only a few months go.
MG

1 - 14 of 14 Posts