Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys...got a sneak peak for you.

I've had a conversation or two, with some people that have indicated that HKPARTS.net will be offering a US Made Extended Castle nut for the HK416 within the next couple of weeks.

A little about the castle nut.....these were modeled after the factory original A5 Castle nut using German 4140 Steel, just like the Germans in Oberndorf. They are intended to cover most of the threads on your 416 buffer tube and have the proper staking notches for the end user to clock and perm. attach. It fits like a glove, and as you can tell, it looks awesome!!! And honestly, it looks better than the factory original, that's never been used, and is all banged up.

So you realize that I'm serious, please see the pics below. I just got it last night. I'm probably going to have some additional exciting items in the future. What do you think? Oh....no...I'm not making a dime off this...just sharing sneak peeks.

0202170719a_resized.jpg 0202170707a_resized.jpg 0202170719_resized.jpg 0202170709a_resized.jpg

·
Registered
700 Posts
You are aware that actual genuine HK extended castle nuts should be available?

Also I can assure you that HK will not use 4140 Steel as 4140 refers to AISI classification of steel, which is *drumroll* not used in Germany. The closest equivalnt would be 42CrMo4.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
You are aware that actual genuine HK extended castle nuts should be available?

Also I can assure you that HK will not use 4140 Steel as 4140 refers to AISI classification of steel, which is *drumroll* not used in Germany. The closest equivalnt would be 42CrMo4.
The A5 nuts are not available over here.

Brad:

Does this require modification to fit the MR commercial tubes like the factory A5s due? I beleive that for those you need to grind down some of the threads at the rear so it slides over the fatter commercial buffer tube. I have 5 of them from GGW but haven't ventured to deal with it yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
The Librarian
MP5-N and HK23E-K
5,582 Posts
What's the advantage of having an extended castle nut? Just so the threads on the buffer tube are covered?

·
Premium Member
3,678 Posts
What is the advantage of this over the normal MR castle nut? I get that it might protect the bit of exposed thread on the buffer tube, but have damaged threads been a real problem? Also, doesn't the larger length of the nut prevent you from collapsing the stock all the way?

·
Registered
700 Posts
The issue adresses is not thread protection but certain airborne units having had bent buffer tubes from imptacts. Extending the castle nut strenghtens the area at the root of the buffer tube as "sleeve", and that is the area that has to deal with the largest bending lever force from the buttstock.

As far as I know, this improvement was done because such bent buffer tube can actually render a gun inop, and reliability and eliminating reliability corner cases is the usp of the HK416 platform.

·
Banned
2,002 Posts
Hey Guys...got a sneak peak for you.

I've had a conversation or two, with some people that have indicated that HKPARTS.net will be offering a US Made Extended Castle nut for the HK416 within the next couple of weeks.

A little about the castle nut.....these were modeled after the factory original A5 Castle nut using German 4140 Steel, just like the Germans in Oberndorf. They are intended to cover most of the threads on your 416 buffer tube and have the proper staking notches for the end user to clock and perm. attach. It fits like a glove, and as you can tell, it looks awesome!!! And honestly, it looks better than the factory original, that's never been used, and is all banged up.

So you realize that I'm serious, please see the pics below. I just got it last night. I'm probably going to have some additional exciting items in the future. What do you think? Oh....no...I'm not making a dime off this...just sharing sneak peeks.

View attachment 89858 View attachment 89866 View attachment 89874 View attachment 89882
Bradley is currently making his housewife wife with a pool rounds right now!! The A5 nuts that are available (I have no clue about this one from HKPARTS) only worked on the A5 buffer tube or needed the threads milled about halfway in order to work with standard MIL SPEC or Commercial Buffer tubes. It is to get that A5 look for folks here. You then have issues with your stock adjustments. I have a sneaky feeling an A5 spec tube will follow.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The A5 nuts are not available over here.

Brad:

Does this require modification to fit the MR commercial tubes like the factory A5s due? I beleive that for those you need to grind down some of the threads at the rear so it slides over the fatter commercial buffer tube. I have 5 of them from GGW but haven't ventured to deal with it yet.

David

That was my original concern as well. But all I did, was take it out of the bag, and it screwed on with absolutely zero problems. I threaded it on backwards and forwards just to make sure. They've done a good job on this, and I for one, am really happy with the quality.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bradley is currently making his housewife wife with a pool rounds right now!! The A5 nuts that are available (I have no clue about this one from HKPARTS) only worked on the A5 buffer tube or needed the threads milled about halfway in order to work with standard MIL SPEC or Commercial Buffer tubes. It is to get that A5 look for folks here. You then have issues with your stock adjustments. I have a sneaky feeling an A5 spec tube will follow.
Shhhhhhhh......not so loud...she still thinks I'm sleeping :biggrin:

The tube that I used, was from a HK416....I don't know about using it on anything else. And yes.....in the weeks ahead, I hope to share some other really nice A5 related items, that I "think" will also be offered from HKPARTS.net.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
David

That was my original concern as well. But all I did, was take it out of the bag, and it screwed on with absolutely zero problems. I threaded it on backwards and forwards just to make sure. They've done a good job on this, and I for one, am really happy with the quality.
Awesome, thanks for the reply. It looks a little shorter than the A5 which is a good thing. That avoids the issue Jason and I raised.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is that the same as a Extended G28 castle nut 1" ? I have the G28 buffer tube,stock, 1" castle nut
I would have to say no. I do not think they are one in the same. What I listed isn't in HKPARTS yet......probably two weeks out before it hits the market.

·
Banned
4,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok....update. I guess the cat's out of the bag. They're already at HKPARTS.net. Yay!!!!!!!!!:biggrin:

And yes....contrary to opinions....it's 4140.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
It is listed in HKPARTS now:
HK416 A5 Extended Castle Nut
The HK416/MR556/MR223 buffer tubes are different sizes that the G28/HK417/MR762/MR306 family, so these are smaller in diameter that the G28 castle nuts, but the principle is the same, to protect the buffer from high drops.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I ended up picking up an HKparts extended castle nut but was sorely disappointed. The first one I had still had burrs on the threads so I contacted CS and they shipped me another one that was handpicked.

Second one seemed better (chips and stray material still present, but less) but once I screwed it onto my buffer tube it definitely started to break off those burrs and chips and at the same time bind and grind on the buffer tube threads. Thought I'd do the same for the first nut seeing as my SR-25 buffer tube was already in worse shape than it started out and it did exactly the same. For the price I paid for the nuts I'd at least expect the chips to have been broken off or the threads chased.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.