HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

New to the HK Long Gun board. I just got offered a black USC NIB for $1500. I have a couple of hours to make a decision. Don't really know a lot about it.

What are your thoughts? What are the pros and cons of the USC?

Thank you much!

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I have one and really like it. Light weight, etc. The longer barrel doesn't really bother me at all, and i like the stock on it. I don't think you really need a folding stock on a gun like that unless you are storing it in a small place or for travel. I think you would normaly have the stock extended while firing anyway.

·
Registered
30 Posts
How does a black "conversion" add or subtract from a USC's value? If so, how much North or South?

I've had my USC about 5 years and love it! It's fun to shoot. I use a red dot scope and/or the iron sights. Both work fine.

·
Registered
221 Posts
making it black shouldn't do much for value since you can do it easily yourself.
having it converted to a ump would definitely increase the value though.

fwiw, i love my usc. i'm sending it in to be converted to ump. too bad jeff went out of business.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
NIB USC for $1,500 is about the going price, maybe a $100 or so lower than you typically see.

USC is really meant to be a CQB firearm in the form of the UMP. Fun on close range stuff, not so much fun once you start getting out past 50 yards.

I don't like that you can't cowitness with the iron sights. It is definitely a weird feeling shooting it, it's nothing like my AR or my 91. Very light and feels that way even when compared to my 16" AR.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
So, what's the change in value with a UMP conversion?
Depends what you want done. If you are talking about lower, stock, block, UMP mags (vs. grease gun), fake can, cutouts, then HDPS is charging around $1,000. If you SBR it, then you are talking a little bit more money.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the good information so far.

Are these hard to come by? Or if I want to buy a new one in a couple of months, I can easily pick one up?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Plan on buying one stock and keeping it that way? Then wait - there are plenty of them still out there in the original grey, and there are more coming in with the factory black finish. If $1500 seems high to you right now, that's a decision you'll have to make on your own.

As far as shooting the USC (and UMP conversion), it is a real treat. The .45ACP seems to come alive in a gun this size, and the extra barrel length will bump up the muzzle velocity a little bit for slightly flatter shooting - we're still talking about a pistol caliber cartridge with a heavy bullet, though. Accuracy at less than 50 yards is outstanding, and even out to 100yds, you can keep them on a dinner plate at that distance. The gun is lightweight, space-aged construction, and fires the same ammo as many of our HK handguns, so it's a great companion piece to a Defense Set in .45ACP. It's not overly expensive to shoot, the ammo can be found anywhere in the US, and it's just rare enough to be unique at the range. Plus, for the enthusiasts out there, you can go whole-hog and get yourself as close to a UMP as any citizen can get which will expand the satisfaction at least 10x over.

I love mine and would never sell it. About 9/10 times I go to the range, the UMP conversion is with me, if that tells you anything.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you so far for all of the good info.

Do the HK .45 pistol mags fit the USC? USP, HK45, Expert?

·
Super Moderator
2,832 Posts
nope, just the USC mags, which are 10rd or if converted to a UMP the 25rd mags, can use the USC mags in the UMP..but a little loose but good for shooting off the bench.

personaly I HATED the stock USC stock...it chewed into my right hand, now it might have just been me and they way I fire a gun.

USC comverted to UMP....way to cool and close to my favorite(of 50+) HK's

Thank you so far for all of the good info.

Do the HK .45 pistol mags fit the USC? USP, HK45, Expert?

·
Registered
226 Posts
USC comverted to UMP....way to cool and close to my favorite(of 50+) HK's
I am slowly starting to consider converting my plan for my next project to be USC->UMP rather than SL8->G36. I keep here such good things about the UMP conversion.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you everyone for the info.

You are talking me into it. But I was kind of hoping that you would :eek:

(although I was not planning on spending an extra $1500).

·
Registered
101 Posts
The USC is an amazing weapon. I originally bought it as something like the Beretta CX4 Storm in .45, only a little more to my liking (mostly personal preferences, like not wanting the magazine inside the pistol grip, and wanting more than an 8 round capacity, plus it's larger and has MUCH less recoil), but it's turned out to be MUCH more. I mean, Ray Charles couldn't miss with this thing. Every time I'm at the range, someone asks me what it is, and I explain, and offer to let them run a mag through it. Every time, they come away smiling, and usually ask how much it cost me, where to get one, etc.

I have a fun range story from back before I converted mine. I was at the Shoot Straight in Apopka, and I decided I'd hit the rifle range, since there were only two other people there, one of them being in the pistol range. So I hear what sounds like an M4 in the stall beside me, and sure enough, it's some sort of Olympic Arms M4-looking weapon.

So, not really taking notice that much (not really an AR person), I wheel my target out to 15 yards for starters, as this is the first time I've ever fired the USC. First shot, an inch from the center. The next nine shots only deviated maybe 3/4" further from the center than that. I couldn't believe it; I don't consider myself that great a shot; it was DEFINITELY the gun, not me. I sort of forgot about the other guy popping away with his AR, until I compared my grouping to his. His looked like a shotgun pattern, all over the page, and mine was this little 3-4" group. Granted, he fired 30 rounds vs. my 20 (2 mags), but wow. So, I went ahead and wheeled it out to the end of the range, about 33 yards, just to see what it would do...and noticed him doing the same thing. My group after two mags was only two inches wider, but about 3 inches taller due to my first couple shots hitting higher than I expected (I thought I'd have to lob them a little higher, but I guess the longer barrel eliminates most of that within 30 yards or so). He ended up shooting the clip that holds the target and left, lol. That experience, by itself, made the guy pay for itself.

So, is the USC worth it? You bet it is, stock or converted.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you everyone for your input!

I just picked up my USC and my HK45 :)

I'll let you know what I think after I get a chance to shoot it. (Might not be for a couple of weeks).

Thank you again!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I too have one. The only negative it the stock pistol grip is rather square and does not fit my hand well. I'm right handed and the corner of the stock under my right thumb kinda bothers me. I have not gotten rid of the gun because I think the conversion would turn this gun into a very nice handling rifle. I love the gun... hate the grip. Keeping it until I can find some spare cash for the conversion and mags.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just came from GBroker intent on asking the question: Is the USC any good? Now I'm going right back to GBroker! Thanks for the info before I even asked!

·
Registered
32 Posts
My HK USC

I love my USC.....really a nicely done gun. I heard that the accuracy was wonderful, and from 25 to 50 yds. it is quite good. I have tricked mine out a bit, paid way too much for it ($1900 when it came out last year), but have had a bunch of fun with it. I have a mini-laser adjusted to 25 yds, a Red-dot adjusted to 50 yds and a sure-fire light attached to a front grip. I will post images later.
Wonderful home defense gun.
Terry

·
Registered
32 Posts
USC Mags

Does anyone know of any magazines for the "USC that are more than 10 rounds?....Big gun, small capacity seems foolish, if larger mags are now permitted in many places.
Terry

1 - 20 of 28 Posts