HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Accuracy is not something my USC can do. I'd tried it with an NCStar scope and a UTG red dot and just could not get it to zero.

Well, those are both pretty low-end optics, and I know the UTG's got consistency problems, so I tried a Bushnell Trophy red dot that's been pretty good on other guns. Similar results, but I finally attributed this to the cheap rings that came with the Bushnell being somewhat worn from being moved amongst various guns.

Today I made sure the rail was good and tight and put an Aimpoint CompM4 on it. With that sight on an AR I can usually put a full magazine within the bullseye. It was all over the place - two on the upper left edge of the bullseye, one in the extreme upper right corner, two in the lower left corner, one even with the bullseye but way right, etc. I put 80 rounds through the gun, about ten using just open sights. All were all over - no rhyme or reason that I could figure out.

Ammo was WWB and AE 230 gr. ball. Everything feels tight and it was purchased new. I've just about got myself convinced I must have a barrel that's somehow wacked out. Any ideas?

·
Registered
532 Posts
Every story I've heard from USC owners is that the gun is inherently accurate with good ammunition.

Have you checked the bore to make sure you don't have a ring in there somewhere? Also, check the muzzle and make sure it's clean and straight.

Other than these things, I can only suggest that you check the barrel retaining pin to be sure it's there (!).

Let us know what you find out,

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Mine is very accurate.

OP, Zero with iron sights at 25 yards to start.
I'm still getting used to mine. I have no 25 yard option at my range. I was busting out the right side of my target frame at 50 yards pretty consistently though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This was done on a bench at a 50 yard range with a light breeze. I have enough experience on this range, including with other .45 carbines, to feel very comfortable in saying that wind was not a factor.

OP, Zero with iron sights at 25 yards to start.
I did try it with open sights, with equally dismal results, but I'll try it at 25 yards before considering anything more drastic, like sending it off to HK.

·
Registered
886 Posts
That is odd. My USC works well at 50 yards, or as well as I can make it. The thing is dead on accurate if I do my part and groups nicely. If it weren't for .45 ammo being so bloody expensive lately I would take it to the range weekly. I do enjoy shooting it and it's a real conversation piece to boot. Folks around here don't see many HKs period, much less the USC, or my 91.

·
Registered
39 Posts
i don't think utg and ncstar scopes are insulated for shock resistance like trijicon, zeiss, eotech, the more higher end stuff can handle the concussion and recoil and keep zero. i've had ncstars and they don't hold zero, it's part of the construction of the frame inside and out. aimpoint's great but sighting it in first before testing zero is key( the usual wind, elevation, humidity, distance, bla bla bla,) take your first shot or two at however many yards, see where you end up and begin sighting in from there until it's zeroed in. clean the rifle first, a dirty barrle with dried micropscopic debris will throw off your spin and trajectory, brush it use foam, snake, swab it. also keep putting rounds through it, if it's at all like a pistol the barrel will need to be broken in somewhat. check the manual for the recommended bullets grain and everything. i'd recommend keep using the aimpoint check the manuals for information on your scope if they're rated to be shock proof/resistant, holding zero (like an acog) and check all your variables, you'll be able to get it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
usc accuracy

i have the M3 conversion with short barrel and Bushnell Trophy red dot...shoots one hole at 25 yards using handloads..works fine....i use ranier 230 gr. over 5.8 titegroup...works well....the barell was cut down on a lathe to 8 inches...shoots fantastic......red dot could be alittle less fuzzy but heard that is common to some bushnell trophies...yes it is reistered short barrel

·
Registered
45 Posts
Have you fired it with the iron sights? That would eliminate the optic. Obviously you should be tesing on a bench, not free-hand.

I'd look a the crown for damage. A small nick right on the corner will do exactly what you describe. If not, send it to HK.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts