HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've fired my new USC three times now, each firing 200 rounds of Winchester White 230gr FMJ. Each time I've had about 5 jams all of the similiar nature. Somehow, the just fired
shell casing fails to exit the ejectiion port yet the bolt still begins to chamber the fresh round. Usually the fired shell casing is wedged up high within the inside of the ejection port, thus blocking the bolt from completely closing. One time it was wedged just to the right of a partially chambered fresh round. The jams are not limited to any of my 4 magazines and they have also occurred at the beginning of my firing session. Thus I do not believe it is fouling related. I do notice all my fired brass has a 5mm long cut on it, parallel to the case opening about 5mm back from the case opening. Sometimes, the cases even have a slight inward dent were the cut is. If anyone can shed some light as to
the cause of these jams, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm going to fire it a couple more times, but it looks like I'm going to have to send it back to HK.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Try ammo other than WWB. That stuff sucks.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Definitely try some other ammo in it before calling Hk. Give her a good cleaning and some oil and head to the range with a couple different kinds of ammo. That way you can rule out ammo as a possible cause.

·
Registered
18 Posts

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Couple of questions. New or new to you? Do you live in CA an
d have a radlock? Is the gun completely stock? Are you a new shooter or recoil sensitive?

Wwb is dirty and a little weak. The marks on your casings sound like they are from one of your feed ramps (top our bottom). If it is a truly new gun the recoil spring may be a little stiff causing a mild short stroke. If it is mild sort stroke (and the other case managed to clear) the round when stripped from the mag will ride the feed rather than hopping it. If you are recoil sensitive and not holding the rifle firmly it losses recoil energy required to operate the action. Couple that with a new gun and weakish ammo I could see this. even just two of these fairs might do it.

This is all speculation of course. Mine has digested everything including Tula since I got it. Mine was used though.
Good luck man.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Has anyone had good luck with Federal American Eagle 230gr FMJ in their USC?
That's what I use. This and blazer brass.

·
Registered
86 Posts
+1 on the American Eagle and Blazer Brass. Mine runs perfect on both, but have not tried anything else so it might handle WWB as well.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yes I've ran American Eagle and also reloads from a local company here in GA, Atlanta Arms & Ammo, with no problems at all. I prefer to use American Eagle/Federal ammo on all my guns if I can. Is there better ammo out there?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
"Better ammo" is HIGLY subjective.
If it works well in your firearm that goes a LONG way to being good ammo for you.
If it's not overly expensive (compared to other rounds) that helps too usually.
What are you looking for in terms of ammo?
You're not going to reliably hit a dime from 100 yards with a usc ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To ST5IIOwner

It is a brand new rifle and yes, I live in California. Thus my rifle has a Raddlock instead of the normal magazine release. The only other modification I have is the Hera Arms stock. I'm not sure
how the stock could affect function unless somehow the the distance between the buffer and recoil spring/guide rod assembly is significantly different when using the Hera Arms stock vs Original
stock. This is my first rifle. I think my grip/stance are proper, but I guess it's stil possible that I could improve upon it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
"Better ammo" is HIGLY subjective.
If it works well in your firearm that goes a LONG way to being good ammo for you.
If it's not overly expensive (compared to other rounds) that helps too usually.
What are you looking for in terms of ammo?
You're not going to reliably hit a dime from 100 yards with a usc ;)
I just meant if there is any ammo out there that's cleaner and more accurate. I haven't really tried many other types of ammo. I have used Wolf ammo for my AR15 before and that stuff is dirty as sin. A local pawn shop had some Blazer 45 ammo and it uses this aluminum cases. It was all they had. It shot fine through my USP Tactical. I didn't try it in my USC though.

·
Registered
765 Posts
Before you blame anything else (ammo, magazine, or gun), give it a *good* cleaning and a proper application of lube.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Something is up...sorry...I've fired a thousand rounds of WWB through mine "AA code" and I've had no problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I recently fired 225 rounds of Federal AE 230gr FMJ through my rifle and only had one failure to eject. It occurred at 150 round count. Does anyone think this is a reasonable amount of reliability?

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Has anyone had good luck with Federal American Eagle 230gr FMJ in their USC?
Yes, it functions and feeds without problems but shoots dirty. Then again, I've yet to shoot any .45 ammo that wasn't dirtier than other calibers. My USC/UMP has cycled all types of 230gr FMJ ammo, even piece-of-crap steel-case Tula.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Yes I've ran American Eagle and also reloads from a local company here in GA, Atlanta Arms & Ammo, with no problems at all. I prefer to use American Eagle/Federal ammo on all my guns if I can. Is there better ammo out there?
Define better. If it doesn't FTE or FTF, it's just as good as any other ammo. All are going to shoot fairly straight at the ranges that the USC is still accurate in. Which is roughly 50-70 yards, in my experience; at 100 yards, consecutive shots group rather wildly once that barrel starts heating up.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Found the thread I was looking for, my spent ammo also has the vampire bite on the casings. its a new USC. it fed, ejected no problems but then the bite marks on all the casings, some more bit than others? I was using Speer lawman 45 230gr.
I then switched to the UMP lower and 25rd mag. Same bite mark on the casing as described. Im guessing its the lower receiver hooks that are not aligning the magazine correctly. Im going to polish the feed ramp see if that helps.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts