HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've finally got a USC in black on the way, I bought it from a dealer who is a friend of a friend his cost was $1296 shipped and another dealer told me his is about the same price. I've seen them anywhere from $1350 to $1650 Why the big price swings? There is a dealer here who has a gray one now NIB for $1280 cash because he's had it over 6 months and cant get rid of it. I love HK but the prices are crazy sometimes.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Don't you find this true about most guns for sale?

As the retail price of a certain gun goes up, the difference in prices seems to be more radical.

I was shopping for a FN FS2000 and the prices where from $2200 to $1700. That is quite a spread if you ask me. I am certain the $1700 seller is still making a buck, what does that mean for the $2200 seller? A buck plus $500?

Is the difference just in mark up? Is there a chance some dealers just pay more? Is there a chance that some dealers have to go through a middle man to get the gun?

One thing I have found is internet based companies typically have lower prices over storefront companies.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Don't you find this true about most guns for sale?

As the retail price of a certain gun goes up, the difference in prices seems to be more radical.

I was shopping for a FN FS2000 and the prices where from $2200 to $1700. That is quite a spread if you ask me. I am certain the $1700 seller is still making a buck, what does that mean for the $2200 seller? A buck plus $500?

Is the difference just in mark up? Is there a chance some dealers just pay more? Is there a chance that some dealers have to go through a middle man to get the gun?

One thing I have found is internet based companies typically have lower prices over storefront companies.

Certainly supply and demand in effect, here. The problem in of itself is two-fold. As an owner of both the PS90 and the FS2000, I can tell you that neither weapon is worth more than $1000. Period.

So what's to blame? Partially FN-USA. They understand that the market is going to explode around a domestically-made, semi-auto, military looking rifle because the consumers can't get their greasy paws on any others due to import restrictions. Thus...you put out something that looks semi-cool, fuel it with it's own set of Internet forums, pictures with railz, red-dots, and guys in black kicking in doors with them; people (like lemmings) WILL BUY THEM.
The precedent has already been set with the FN guns and the prices will continue to move upwards, because the market will currently support it.

What else cause prices to go up? Simple supply and demand coupled with the panic of "not being able to get one due to future gun laws/bans." Put a few out there on the market....and something relatively rare is going to command higher prices because EVERYONE wants one. SIG is doing something extremely dirty to the FFL holders out there in general. They only allow the sale of ONE RIFLE for every FIVE handguns that the dealer buys from SIG. So what about the dealer who can't really afford to buy FIVE handguns for every 556 that he wants to sell? Who do you think that they pass that cost on to?

I've watched PJ's website (where he is making domestically made Steyr AUGs)---over the past 14 months, I've seen his "Steyrs" go from $900, to $1100, to $1500, to now almost $2,000., not becuase manufacturing or "unforseen parts" costs are driving up the weapons---it's because of what standards FN-USA and SIG are making for the sale of their rifles. Are the rifles themselves worth that much? Hell no, they aren't. But people are paying that much...so the market will continue to bear it out. So in the end, who do we blame? Blame ourselves.

Oh yeah...and blame HK for not getting on the "domestic bandwagon" and letting us buy their products! LOL :D

·
Registered
422 Posts
Although I believe most everything you wrote is true, it doesn't really have anything to do with what the poster asked.

If I understand his question correctly he asked, why is there such a spread in price on the H&K USC's.

I tried to give him my experience that I went through recently and used the FN FS2000 as an example. Similar to what he found on the USC's I found on the FS2000's, there was almost a $500 difference from low to high price.

On a side note, I feel the Sig 556 is priced competitive at $1200-ish. With AR's priced from $750-$1500, the Sig fits right into the pack.
The Aug, MK5, SL8, FS2000 and so forth at close to $2000 and are expensive IMHO.

The one question that I have with the new USC is, why does H&K think a USC today will sell for $1300-ish when they couldn't even been given away for $950 just 2-3 years ago? And like-wise with the SL8, $1150 versus $1700-ish today.

·
Registered
532 Posts
'cause they're black this time.

Nothing more than that, really, guys. HK USA knows that people will buy into the mystique of their 'black rifles', and are willing to pay more.

Guess what... we are.

·
Merchant of Death (Admin)
11,568 Posts
Very few weapons are sold at full retail mark-up. Many retailers by their wares from distributors (middlemen) because they do not have direct accounts with manufacturers. Retail prices can and do vary because retailers are free to set their own prices. If everyone's price was the same, we'd be shouting collusion. It is perfectly reasonable for a manufacturer to set terms of purchase, especially on very popular items. Even retailers do this. Look at the whole wrist band, standing in line thing for the new uber game consoles this past holiday season.

I believe that what is being described is capitalism.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Although I believe most everything you wrote is true, it doesn't really have anything to do with what the poster asked.

You know...going back and re-reading that post, I see where I strayed. My bad. :D Seriously though...the "spread" out there on costs is largely market-driven. Simple supply and demand. We see some really gross examples of MP5s out there being sold for $15K++...simply because of every year there are more and more machinegun shooters, and the same number of guns since '86. A travesty, I tell you!! LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts