HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
who are all the companies that do USC to UMP conversions?

I know of HDPS....any others you guys could recommend?

thanks

·
Premium Member
2,711 Posts
It depends in large part what type of conversion you want. Dakota Tactical does a great fused one that really looks the most authentic and Joe's work is impecable -- always! HDPS also does exceptional work, but they use a "stock block" rather than fusing the tail end of a UMP onto your USC. I have two HDPS guns conversions and have zero complaints. I have not done a fused one simply due to a lingering sense that longer term, these may exhibit stress issues. Joe and others would likely dismiss that and they have the knowledge and experience to offer an educated input, I do not.

Tom Bostic (tbostic) also I think does the fused conversions (I know he does the SL8 ones, not 100% sure on UMPs) and his reputation is also absolutely excellent.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thanks for the info....i wasnt even aware of the fused conversions....i was aware that HDPS does the stock block thing

what does dakota tactical charge for a full UMP conversion? Im looking to go the SBR route

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i just found his price list in his forum section

what parts would I have to provide?

HK USC
HK UMP lower
HK UMP 30 rnd mag
3 922r compliant parts
HK stock

am i missing anything?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Has any one ever done a fused job onto the back of a grey USC? And then got it dyed all to black. Wondering if it still looks funny as in color difference or not.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Has any one ever done a fused job onto the back of a grey USC? And then got it dyed all to black. Wondering if it still looks funny as in color difference or not.
My SL8 was gray and had the G36 rear fused. It actually gets painted, not dyed, and looks fine.

·
Premium Member
2,711 Posts
My SL8 was gray and had the G36 rear fused. It actually gets painted, not dyed, and looks fine.
Many folks dye them before paint so that if they get a nasty scratch, you don't see it nearly as much when there is black below. I would suggest this approach. You certainly don't need to start with a black SL8.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks man but right now i am focusing on my mp5 clone build and all those parts.....i cant seem to stop planning for the next build though!

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Just note that the fuse job isn't cheap, either. I searched and found a user that had one done with a folding stock by tbostic and was charged $500 for it and Chopstix at Dakota will do it for $595. Tbostic used to modify the USC stock and plastic weld it to resemble a UMP stock and have a pistol grip. He was charging $135 shipped for it a few years ago. I don't know if he still does them or sells them so shoot him a PM if you're curious. He was also selling stock USC lowers for $200 + shipping with modified mag wells to accept UMP mags which I'm hoping he still does.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Anyone know the LOP difference between a UMP chop job and a TN or HPDS block? I don't think the LOP improvement on the USC is nearly as dramatic as on the SL8. I'm 5' 10" and the LOP was horrible on my SL8 with the TN/SW stock, even with the shorter C stock, but the LOP on my USC with the TN block doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I'm curious, myself. I'd decided to get the Hera Arms stock because, from what I hear, it was shorter than the USC stock, even if it did make the carbine shorter than 26".

·
Premium Member
8,625 Posts
Anyone know the LOP difference between a UMP chop job and a TN or HPDS block? I don't think the LOP improvement on the USC is nearly as dramatic as on the SL8. I'm 5' 10" and the LOP was horrible on my SL8 with the TN/SW stock, even with the shorter C stock, but the LOP on my USC with the TN block doesn't bother me.
The chop job by Chop will have the same LOP, as he's grafting an original rear end of the receiver onto your USC receiver. I've only done the HDPS block conversions, and have one myself. The LOP seems very natural to me, I'm 6' tall.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
The chop job by Chop will have the same LOP, as he's grafting an original rear end of the receiver onto your USC receiver. I've only done the HDPS block conversions, and have one myself. The LOP seems very natural to me, I'm 6' tall.
No, I mean the difference in LOP from the chop rear end conversion (which I understand is the same LOP as the real UMP) to the stock block conversions from TN or HPDS. In other words, how much does a chop conversion improve the LOP?

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
The USC stock block does not change the LOP significantly like the SL8 one does. If you look at where the factory UMP stock hinge is it's right on the lip of the back portion of the receiver. So the stock block for the USC might add a quarter of an inch to the LOP, if that. Nothing significant.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts