HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any history with using other than FMJ rounds in USC/UMP conversion.

I am looking to load up some lighter recoiling .45 rounds and I was looking at 185 gr flat point, 200 grain flat or 185 hollow bottom round nose bullets.

All bullets are plated, I don't like to shoot lead.

Thanx in advance.

Jeff

·
Registered
20 Posts
Jeff, I am currently working a load for a 185gr hollow base bullet. So far I have found that w231 powder is fairly accurate, however you have to push the envelope on the powder weight. 6.8 to 7.2 grains. This week sometime, I will try out titegroup powder, 5.5 to 6.4 grains. I will let you know how it goes. (I just might wait til after the CRC before I give you the secret recipie though) HAHA, Rob

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jeff, I am currently working a load for a 185gr hollow base bullet. So far I have found that w231 powder is fairly accurate, however you have to push the envelope on the powder weight. 6.8 to 7.2 grains. This week sometime, I will try out titegroup powder, 5.5 to 6.4 grains. I will let you know how it goes. (I just might wait til after the CRC before I give you the secret recipie though) HAHA, Rob
Well, I'm load loading 6.4 grs. of PowerPistol under a 230gr RN and it's seems to kick fairly hard.

I'm shooting 9mm at the CRC so you can give me the recipe beforehand, like it'd really matter anyway<GR>.

So what config is the 185 bullet, and have you fed hollow point or other bullet profiles in the UMP?

Thanx, Jeff

·
Premium Member
1,315 Posts
when I used to have a USC that I shouldn't of sold :(
used to shoot some Aguila (?) 115gr? aluminum hollow point rounds - super fast SMG type ammo. Very light recoil and good range...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I loaded up some 230's with 5.5 grs of Power Pistol and recoil was much less and it cycled fine. I need to get a chrono I think. Now I need to try some lighter bullets. Regards, Jeff

·
Registered
532 Posts
I've fired 200gr Semi-wadcutter, lead reloads almost exclusively in my UMP conversion because that's what I shoot in my handguns. This round is low recoil, plenty of power, and cuts nice clean holes through cardboard and paper targets. Never had any feeding problems with these.

Also have fired about 250 rounds of .45Super with the TMJ 185gr flat point bullet which tends to hang up in other types of .45ACP guns. These also fed and fired just fine in the UMP conversion, but the lighter weight bullets pushed to max velocity (1350fps, IIRC) is too much power and accuracy suffers at even close range.

I've also fired just about any other 230gr RN-ball, lead, and tracer round that you can imagine and the gun has never hiccupped on any of these.

I think you could load rocks in there of .452 diameter and it'd feed and fire them just fine! Good luck, and let us know what you end up with,

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've fired 200gr Semi-wadcutter, lead reloads almost exclusively in my UMP conversion because that's what I shoot in my handguns. This round is low recoil, plenty of power, and cuts nice clean holes through cardboard and paper targets. Never had any feeding problems with these.

Also have fired about 250 rounds of .45Super with the TMJ 185gr flat point bullet which tends to hang up in other types of .45ACP guns. These also fed and fired just fine in the UMP conversion, but the lighter weight bullets pushed to max velocity (1350fps, IIRC) is too much power and accuracy suffers at even close range.

I've also fired just about any other 230gr RN-ball, lead, and tracer round that you can imagine and the gun has never hiccupped on any of these.

I think you could load rocks in there of .452 diameter and it'd feed and fire them just fine! Good luck, and let us know what you end up with,

Longduck-
Thanx, that is the kind of info I was looking for. My darn 9mm SW5 recoils so lightly even with killer fast rounds I spoiled. I'll keep working it tho. What powder and how much are you using with the wadcutter loads?

Jeff

·
Registered
20 Posts
Jeff, I have run just about every type round down the pipe. Even when i first started to learn to handload, I had some crappy LSWC that wouldnt cycle in anything else. The USP and UMP ate them just fine. Now accuracy on the other hand, I am still trying to find the "sweet spot". I should have the next set of data by the weekend. I will let you know. Rob

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jeff, I have run just about every type round down the pipe. Even when i first started to learn to handload, I had some crappy LSWC that wouldnt cycle in anything else. The USP and UMP ate them just fine. Now accuracy on the other hand, I am still trying to find the "sweet spot". I should have the next set of data by the weekend. I will let you know. Rob
K. Jeff

·
Registered
532 Posts
Accurate Arms #5, 8.4gr, loaded to OAL of 1.245" for 200gr SWC-Lead. Depending on your bullet type, you may need to seat at a different depth; the idea is to get a fingernail's width of lead above the case mouth so that the lead is what slides on the feed ramp. If you load it too short, the brass is sharper and could hang up on something (I've never had it happen).

Good luck, start low and work up. You can load hotter, but there's no point - this load is good for 2-3" groups at 25yards offhand, which is good enough for me. It never ceases to amaze others when I take it out to the range, usually one ragged hole after a magazine is fired.

·
Registered
20 Posts
OK Jeff,
I went out this morning and found that the 185gr HB will work great under 50 yards with 5.3 to 5.5 grains of titegroup. This keeps the groups at about 3-4 inches with very little recoil or muzzle jump. 50 to 100 yards, I bumped it up to about 5.9 grains of titegroup. Recoil was a little heavier but it was needed to keep the velocity up and the groups were still under 6 inches. I keep having to tell myself that Its not a .308 and by the time it makes it 100 yards the MV is only about 400 fps. With that in mind, I think I am prety close to the limitations of a 45 ACP. I hope this helps. If you can find anything better, please let me know. BTW, Kevins garage should get the props for the data. ( well at least the starting points). Rob

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cool, I loaded some Bullseye up, 5.0 grains under a 230 and the recoil was much better than power pistol @ 5.5. I've got some 185's on the way in to see if I like them.

Jeff

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I loaded up some 185 Berry's HBRN's and I like much better. I'm gonna load up some more with a bit more powder and see how I like em. Jeff

1 - 13 of 13 Posts