HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just received my USC/UMP clone from a private seller on Monday. I would like to go shoot it tomorrow, but I don't know if it complies with the 922(r). I know it is supposed to have 3 American made parts. It has a TopNotch lower and TopNotch collapsible stock, and I can not tell if anything else is made in th US. I checked out the HDPS and TopNotch sites and the only other things I could check are the mag floor plates, followers and trigger.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Shawn

And thank you for all of the info on this site. These HK's sure are addictive.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just reread this and realized that the top post wasn't too clear. Do Hk floorplates and followers have any markings, the ones in my mags are black with no markings, and my trigger is plastic, and all of the aftermarket triggers appear to be metal. Are there any other parts to look at. This carbine also has a compression fit fake suppressor on it, does that count as a part?

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
Without seeing the actual rifle, it's hard to tell what's U.S. and what's not. Hopefully this will help...

Every U.S. made trigger that I have ever seen was made of steel. Every U.S. made follower/floorplate for the UMP mag I have ever seen was metal.

The fake supressor does not count as a U.S. made part which doesn't matter since 922(r) doesn't care how many U.S. parts you DO have, rather how many IMPORTED parts you DON'T have.

You need to verify if the receiver, lower and stock are actually TN's or if they are the German USC/UMP's that have been modded by them. A modded parts does not count as a U.S. part.

Here's the part count for a USC:

1) Receiver (upper)
2) Barrel
3) Mounting block (trunion)
4) Bolt-carrier
5) Operating rod
6) Trigger housing/pistol grip/butt-stock (lower)
7) Trigger
8) Hammer
9) Sear
10) Butt-Stock
11) Mag body
12) Follower

12 imported parts in factory configuration. When you add a folding stock mounting block and then pop on a German stock and a German lower (pistol grip) you're imported parts count goes to 13. The all-in-one thumbhole stock/grip on the USC is only one part but as soon as you physicially separate the two, it becomes two parts. Make sense?

So start with 12 imported parts and go from there. I know TN does make their own upper but you need to verify if they one you have is actually one of theirs and not the factory USC upper. The lower however, is more than likely German. The buttstock could possibly be theirs as many of their conversion that use their stock mouting block uses their stock as well. So let's go from there.

12 parts...

(-1) remove the USC thumbhole stock
(+1) add a German lower
(+/- 0) add a TN Stock
(-1) replace the upper (recevier) with a TN upper

Now you're at 11 parts, one more to go.

What that one parts is more than likely (or needs to be) the trigger, follower or floorplate... unless the pistol grip (lower) is one of theirs.

The most COMMON conversion are as follows...

12 parts...

(-1) remove the USC thumbhole stock
(+1) add a German lower
(+1) add a Germain stock
(-3) replace trigger, follower, floorplate

Now you're at 10 imported parts.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thank you

Well the Upper is definitely H&K (Original Grey but dyed black with all the cool markings), but the lower under the mag catch has TN in a circle, as does the collapsible stock. I thought that stood for topnotch, but I could be mistaken and it could be some date code. I have emailed the original owner, and am awaiting a response for any additional info. With the price of US made followers and triggers, I'll just SBR it and call it a day.

Thank you very much for the above post, I'll hold off taking her to the range until it is fully compliant. And am sorry to hear about you SL8/G36, I hope it all works out for you.

Have a good night and a great weekend
Shawn

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
"TN" isn't a date code, at least not an HK date code so more than likely, it's Top-Notch's stuff.

Go here... http://www.hdps.org/htm/3.htm Ed's followers and floorplates are $27 for the pair and are some of the best quality I've seen.

Thanks for the sentiments on the SL8/G36. They bought me a new SL8 and some cash, but yeah, still sucks.

If you have any questions, feel free to drop me a PM.

Enjoy the new toy and congradulations!

·
H&K Certified Armorer
8,216 Posts
One more thing... I mentioned $27 for a follower and floorplate because based on what I understand you have, you're only one part off. No need to get a trigger as follower and floorplate will get you to 9.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts