HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am in the market for a carbine. Im also a die hard HK fan. Im also not made of money either.

I keep comparing the new USC around what, $1300-1400 new and a Beretta Storm CX4 new around $600.

What can justify such a cost difference? Do Germans at HK make that much more than their counterparts in Italy at Beretta?

Im a lefty and the Storm is very ambi friendly and Beretta has created tons of accessories for it. Pro mag has a 32 rnd mag for it that has had great reviews.

I would like to get a 9mm, not a choice with the USC.

Im not going to sink another $2000 to get a USC to look like a UMP.

It is just hard to understand why two carbines, made by two quality manufacturers could be so far apart in price.

Im probably going to get a Storm, but I know that I will probably look back and say maybe I should have saved more and got the USC.

Does anyone have both and can compare/contrast for me?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
i guess its in the eye of the beholder, I've fired both weapons and both are very reliable and well made, but i would take the H&K over the berreta any day. now i could just say because its an H&K but :) to me personally i like the way a USC feels more and it looks way cooler, yeah the 10 round mags suck but its not that bad.

if your looking for a 9mm platform i would suggest a 94 or clones at least with those you could add a searpack latter

just my .02

·
Banned
1,245 Posts
Why do you think was the MP5 not discontinued?
Because the USC / UMP is not standing up to what people are used from the MP5 (to put it in very nice words!).

Get the Beretta, it's half the money and the better gun!

·
Registered
276 Posts
The Beretta Storm carbine just feels very cheap IMO.

Ever shoot a low-end paintball gun? That's what it feels like. The action spring is so friggin' loud.

The ergonomics are pretty poor.

The thing just looks gay as well.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have shot both guns alot also. Keep in mind, I own a USC but NOT a Storm, but have the use of a Storm often.

Stock gun versus stock gun it is hard to beat the Storm for the price. I have seen used Storms for close to $500 and new ones for closer to $600. Double those prices for the USC.

Fact of the matter is, they are both semi auto pistol caliber rifles and always will be. They both shoot very much the same to me. Both iron sites work very well and both take red dots exceptionally. Acuuracy is very similar to me.

One big fact the Storm has the USC beat is in different calibers. Yes you can modify the USC and spend alot of money and change out stuff, but for that price you could purchase another entire Storm rifle.

I am a die hard H&K fan so I don't mean to bash H&K but the Storm is a great package for the price.
I own a USC because what I really wanted a UMP, the cool factor is very high for the UMP. So the next question is, is the USC/UMP conversion really worth $2500, when you could purchase 4 Storms for the price??!

·
2,832 Posts
HELL yes it is, right now out of 50-60 HK's my USC/UMP conversion is my favorite(that and a P9s) its just a badass gun and shoots like a dream......and you don't see them on every street corner(or range)

So the next question is, is the USC/UMP conversion really worth $2500, when you could purchase 4 Storms for the price??!

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
I own a Storm 9mm, a USC/UMP conversion and an MP5 clone. The Storm was by far the cheapest, and is as accurate or more than the BW5. If you want a 9mm carbine that can drive tacks at 50 yards, and won't break the bank, get a Storm. If you want more info from Storm owners, check out www.berettaforum.net .

Having said all of that, my UMP is still my favorite of the three.

Thanks,
James

·
1,198 Posts
I didn't care for the trigger on the Ruger carbine. I only shot one once, a couple of years ago, though.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I have looked at the Ruger, but it just doesn't appeal to me.

Looks like I am going to go with the Storm. Perhaps down the road when I have some excess funds there will be a civie UMP9 available. I won't hold my breath though.

A friend is going to sell me his CX4 9mm with all the rails, a red dot, sling and case for $550 which I dont think I should pass up.

St. Louis Metro PD carry them and from the officers I have talked to they have good things to say about them.

Now if they should be carrying a patrol rifle instead of a carbine is another story....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts