HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a dumb question, but since BATF says you can only have one modified semi auto trigger box to go along with one registered sear, why don't people just leave the trigger box untouched and modify the trigger tail where it meets the stop in the frame so that they don't have to remove the trigger stop in the box itself? In other words, you could have an ambi navy box and an SEF trigger box, both with their factory semi auto trigger stops untouched, and simply move your sear and trigger with modded stop surface, and re-timed hammer, between the packs and as long as you kept your modded trigger and sear together in the same pack, all should be legal correct? If for some reason you want to sell just your naked sear or put it in the safe deposit box all alone (don't know why you'd do that but), you could destroy the modded trigger, just like you would destroy a modded trigger box if you didn't have a sear in it. What am I missing?

·
Registered
507 Posts
An unmodified box won't fit on a semi-auto receiver. If you modify the box to fit, you've made another machine gun. If you modify the receiver, you've made another machine gun.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply but you misunderstood my question, an unmodified SEMI AUTO factory HK trigger box (like what comes on a HK94 for instance) will of course fit on a semi auto shelf receiver by design. It is also these same SEMI AUTO trigger boxes into which registered sears are intended to be installed and used. My question has nothing to do with full auto boxes whatsoever. My question is, for Fleming or S&H sear owners, why do they generally remove the trigger stop pin in a SEMI AUTO box to allow enough rearward trigger travel for their registered sear to function, when they could simply mod the stop portion of a trigger to allow their sears to work instead, and therefore give themselves the flexibility of moving said sear back and forth between SEF and Ambi style semi auto trigger boxes as long as the modded trigger moved with the sear?

The reason BATF says you can't have more than one semi auto trigger box per registered sear, is a semi auto box alone with the trigger stop removed, and its factory semi auto parts installed but no sear, will allow the hammer to follow the carrier down and slam fire when the trigger is held back, creating a machine gun out of just the box itself in the eyes of the BATF. If people were to mod just a trigger like I'm suggesting, then the boxes would of course retain their factory trigger stop and no longer allow such slam fires, and therefore if you wanted to have more than one semi auto box laying around without your sear in it, you could.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Thanks for the reply but you misunderstood my question, an unmodified SEMI AUTO factory HK trigger box (like what comes on a HK94 for instance) will of course fit on a semi auto shelf receiver by design. It is also these same SEMI AUTO trigger boxes into which registered sears are intended to be installed and used. My question has nothing to do with full auto boxes whatsoever. My question is, for Fleming or S&H sear owners, why do they generally remove the trigger stop pin in a SEMI AUTO box to allow enough rearward trigger travel for their registered sear to function, when they could simply mod the stop portion of a trigger to allow their sears to work instead, and therefore give themselves the flexibility of moving said sear back and forth between SEF and Ambi style semi auto trigger boxes as long as the modded trigger moved with the sear?

The reason BATF says you can't have more than one semi auto trigger box per registered sear, is a semi auto box alone with the trigger stop removed, and its factory semi auto parts installed but no sear, will allow the hammer to follow the carrier down and slam fire when the trigger is held back, creating a machine gun out of just the box itself in the eyes of the BATF. If people were to mod just a trigger like I'm suggesting, then the boxes would of course retain their factory trigger stop and no longer allow such slam fires, and therefore if you wanted to have more than one semi auto box laying around without your sear in it, you could.
I believe its NOT the same "collection of parts" as you have modified an additional part in the way of the trigger which itself in the eyes of the ATF is considered a conversion device and is no different than modifying a trigger box.

Reactions: Brad4065

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Right, "no different than modifying a trigger box" so instead of having any modded trigger boxes, you could just have a modded trigger if I'm correct. Either way, to run your registered sear you are going to have to have something that stays with the sear because you have altered something enough to cause slam fires by itself (either a modded box OR my hypothetical modded trigger). You wouldn't want to have BOTH a modded box AND modded trigger at the same if you have only one registered sear, which is I believe the point you are getting at flybynt.

Found this picture online of someone who I believe is doing exactly what I describe, with a Fleming sear in this case. Their trigger box clearly DOES NOT have the stop pin drilled out.

post-1-0-76631300-1307285078.jpg

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Could the modified trigger be used? Yes, I believe so. Since we are talking about a $30,000 machinegun, I would write to the Firearms and Ammunition Technology Division for a determination. Of course as part of that determination you would need to send a complete firearm including the sear to get a determination. Personally I would modify the semi automatic frame as the is already approved. The only real draw I know is to having more than one pack would be the burst pack, Navy style ambi pack, or SEF style pack.

Personally, I don't have any use for a burst pack. They are expensive and complicated and originally designed as an aid for lack in training. It took me many thousands of rounds of practice to get singles in subgun matches with a K style clone. It would take even more training to do so in a life or death tactical situation. So a SEF style pack filled my need. Could the modified trigger be done instead of a modified pack? Again I think that would be a question for the FATD.

Scott

1 - 6 of 6 Posts