HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've taken my 91 out to the deer stand a few times. Sadly, the few times I have taken her, no deer were willing to present themselves. I wish my schedule would permit more time in the stand. I'm hoping this season will be a bit different.

As such, there are a few little quirks I've noticed about my 91 that I'd like to remedy. I'm rather inexperienced with HK, having spent most of my adult shooting life with ARs. My current AR setup uses a few basic mods that I've found to work exceptionally, and I'd like to be able to carry them over to the HK platform.

1) I run a Falcon Industries rubber-overmolded ambi ergo grip on my ARs, and was told that they used to make one for the HK but can't seem to find one anywhere. Any suggestions on where I might find one?

2) I hate the gubbmint-issue leather sling. I've been using a SavvySniper QUAD sling for quite a while now, it's very well-built and comfortable. Ironically, however, it uses an "HK-style" snap hook for attachment to the buttstock, and an HK91 has a slot on the rear. Are there any sling adapters available for this rifle that will accept a snap-hook on the rear, or will I have to G-rig something up for it? SavvySniper makes a pigtail that is just a piece of webbing and a buckle, which would work for the collapsible stock, but I don't think it would fare as well with the fixed stock due to mounting location. Since discovering the use of mounting at the junction of the receiver and stock, I've found this to personally be the most comfortable way to carry my rifle and it also lends itself well to reflex-shooting if I were to jump a pig or deer on the way to the stand. Any suggestions here?

3) Scope mounts. I know it's considered "blasphemy" to put a cheap scope on a fine rifle, but that's my intention. The problem is, I've yet to see any mounts that were worth a damn while also not putting the scope five inches over the barrel. I hunt in an East Texas pine forest, where the longest shot I'd potentially be taking is 100m. Having that much height is fine if you're trying to stretch it out to five or six hundred meters...but when you're shooting between 35-100, it's a detriment. I tried one of those clamp-on rails, but it never would clamp down solid. The other option is to buy a rail adapter for the claw, but then you have to get rings on top of that, and you're nine feet off the rifle by the time all is said and done. Are there any decent mounts available in the $100-150 range that don't sit so high off the barrel?

I apologize in advance for being such a total noob about this, and hope someone can help me...

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I use what the german and norwegian military uses, Its a swiss made B&T scope mount from DSARMS. They are $165 and have metal feet and screws that are made to lock it down rock solid. Worth every penny and Works great on all in SPEC HK receivers. PTR/SAR/FMP/HK . I have arms#22 high thro rings and the scope is still considerably lower then any claw mount.Scope just clears the rear diopter by a 1/4 "

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, tcr39. That's pretty much exactly what I was looking for.

Moving right along, do you have any suggestions as far as muzzle brakes go? I recently discovered the PWS brake and threw one on the AR. What once was "light recoil" turned to "almost non-existent recoil". I know they make one for the 91, but was wondering if anyone has had any luck with any other brands.

What brand of forearm is that? It looks pretty sick. When I got my 91, it was a used piece and the seller gave me this huge goodie box full of all his accessories and whatnot. Amongst them were several sets of surplus furniture, but they were all the "skinny" forearms. I've been wanting something with a bit more meat.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
That is a swiss B&T military issue forearm also. I got it from DSARMS also,[when in stock] They are what the german and norwegians are using today. I have tons of pics with these scope mounts and forearms being used on G3 rifles in afghanistan.I think it was $265 with tax."OUCH" I just had to have it. And, I hear only good things about the PWS brake. I use a home made break on that rifle,that some buddy of the guy I got one of my PTR,s from made.It works great in combo with the msg90 buffer in the A2 stock.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Fellow Texan, welcome to the forum. You are right about not needing an expesive mount on your gun. The leapers UTG low profile one that RTg sells is pretty dang good. Piney woods? You will be lucky to get 100m unless it is a cleared shooting lane. The 91 will most definately work on white tail and porkers but unless you go from truck to stand it gets kind of heavy. 3 hrs west of you in the western crosstimbers where I am at, walking for several hours that stick gets heavy. I opted for the Zeiss ZF-24 4x. It is compact, comes with the mount and BDC is illuminated and is good to 500m.

·
Registered
204 Posts
The guys are right, I have a B&T Low Profile mount #21174 from DS Arms mine is longer than TCR's but they both are great. I added two extra mounting screws to mine it's here in a post with pics "Made my B&T mount 50% stronger. I did not have good luck with the Leapers, but some folks have and like them. Mine are on a HK-91 and PTRs and I paid a more for the B&T. The first one went on the HK and the difference was a drop in the bucket compared to the cost of the HK. It worked so perfectly I even spent the extra money on the PTR's. You are right the PWS brake is incredible and it works on both recoil and muzzle flash. I've bought 3-now but on one, the threads were not right and would not thread on the HK-91 but Adam replaced it immediately with no problems. I carry my 91's on a Blackhawk 2-point bungee sling. When you get it set-up and the way you like it go to Bill Springfield - www.TriggerWork.net and look at Bill Springfields trigger job. He's done all of mine and they are great, service is quick and resonable. I'm in Central Texas, and we hunt deer and alot of hogs too.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Glad to hear others hunt with them. I've taken 2 elk and a deer with my PTR91 SC. I wouldn't really call what you want modifications, rather personalizing. Easy fix....
http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e187/Hypercomp01/CIMG3927.jpg
Looks warm there! I am going on an elk hunt in NM this year and am looking forward to that. I won't use a '91 though, M77 all weather stainless, kevlar stock in 30.06 180gr. heavy magnum ballistic tip. Several pounds lighter.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have killed several deer, several antelope, a few turkeys and a couple of pis with my H&K 91.

It is my Lucky rifle.

For several years I had killed my biggest deer and my biggest antelope with it.

Whenever I take in hunting it brings home the meat.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Great pics of the rifle in action. I killed my first deer with my dads 91 a long time ago. I always liked the 3 point sling for long stalks, it worked well and wasn't too noisy. When we used it in the field for a hunt,we never really had to worry about scratching a nice walnut stock on a bolt gun. I wasn't really much for posting up in stands for too long. The only time the high sight height over bore axis was a problem was in tiny lil' blinds with small low windows. It normally worked fine with the forearm removed. Did get a few strange looks from other hunters back in the day. But, I always got my meat for the freezer and never worried about the rifle in unfavorable conditions.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
I don,t even use my fero-z until 300 to 400yrds. I smack 10" or smaller steel plates at 200 with irons all day long with nato ball.No reloads,no lead sleds and no 10x scopes. I have 2 JLD91k,s that run flawless and an FMP G3 ghillie build on a PTR rec. I have not had one single jam,malf or issue of any kind and certainly; NO LOSS OF BOLT GAP.All 3 of these weapons shoot the same Point of aim/point of impact with high quality m-80 ball. One must learn to zero these rifles correctly and understand the diopter sight.

·
Registered
70 Posts
In 10 yrs I have gone from contacts to single lens to bifocals.Saturday i am now in heavy bifocals,darn things look like bottoms of Pepsi bottles.Dont matter cause when i touch my scoped 91,the thrill is still there.ROCK OUT WITH YOUR KOCH OUT !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wonder if anyone here knows how to use this weapon with iron sights anymore? Just sayin.
Absolutely, I know how to use the irons and enjoy it very much so when I'm plinking around and whatnot. When hunting, however, I want the cleanest possible shot so the animal is killed instantly. It's just one less thing I have to worry about when it's 26F outside and I'm getting all giddy because a buck just f'd up and walked into my shooting lane. If this were 1983 Zimbabwe or something, I probably wouldn't care that much about precision...but deer are scarce, ammo is expensive, and I don't get near as much time as I'd like to spend in the stand!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fellow Texan, welcome to the forum. You are right about not needing an expesive mount on your gun. The leapers UTG low profile one that RTg sells is pretty dang good. Piney woods? You will be lucky to get 100m unless it is a cleared shooting lane. The 91 will most definately work on white tail and porkers but unless you go from truck to stand it gets kind of heavy. 3 hrs west of you in the western crosstimbers where I am at, walking for several hours that stick gets heavy. I opted for the Zeiss ZF-24 4x. It is compact, comes with the mount and BDC is illuminated and is good to 500m.
It's family land and we do have shooting lanes cleared, the longest is about 225m. The stands are only a few hundred from the front door, so walking isn't that big of a deal. That's one of the reasons I prefer taking the 91 over my M1A SM, it's considerably lighter and a bit shorter.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts