HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The Marine Corps Is Experimenting With a New Service Rifle | Military.com
"On the heels of a widely praised 2015 decision to issue the more maneuverable M4 carbine in lieu of the M16A4 to Marines in infantry battalions, the Marine Corps may be on the cusp of another major weapons decision.

The Marine Corps' experimental battalion, the California-based 3rd Battalion, 5th Marines, has been conducting pre-deployment exercises with the M27 Infantry Automatic Rifle to evaluate it as the new service rifle for infantry battalions, the commander of 1st Marine Division, Maj. Gen. Daniel O'Donohue told Military.com Thursday."
I used to work Civil Service for the Marine Corps and just after the Marines first adopted the M27 I had a conversation with a Marine Officer at work who gave me a wink-wink, nudge-nudge hint that something like this might be the ultimate goal. We had been discussing how switching to a mag-fed weapon to supply suppressive fire was really a dumb idea.

I wouldn't be surprised that after they make the switch, the Marines discover the need still exists for the more modern iteration of the belt-fed SAW that has been under development to replace the mag-fed M27 they now suddenly see as inadequate in that role.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This must have REALLY struck a nerve over on AR15.com as they deleted my thread on the subject in the HK sub-forum over there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts