HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the market for my next handgun and I think it will be a fullsize H&K USP. I just can't decide between .40 S&W and .45 ACP so I thought I would see what the group says. (I am going to have to pass on the .40 S&W bashing - I have strong wrists, I can shoot .40 S&W very well, and if you want snapping and uncomfortable you need to shoot the 500 S&W.)

So far I have fired a USPf .45 but found it not as accurate as my .45 1911. For some reason I ws hitting pretty low on the target. I did like the USP's much more comfortable recoil - very comfortable.

Right now I have a few .40s and a .45 by different makers.

What are your thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks ahead of time.

CSP

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Out to 50ft my USPF .45 is as accurate as any of my tuned Colt 1911's. Cover the bulls eye with the front sight of the USP shooting under 20yds or so, set the front sight at 6 o'clock over that range.

*I love the Freedom Arms .500 Wyoming for big bores* ;)

·
Registered
177 Posts
I prefer the 45 over the 40 because the grip is a little longer and I don't have to change my grip when doing a reload. With the 40, the palm of my hand tends to get pinched sometimes. As for shooting low, USP's are sighted for a cover up hold vs. what some people prefer in a lolli pop or flat tire hold.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I went out to the range with several manufacturers and several calibers. I hit the center of the target more often with the HK USP 45 full size. For me, the proof was in the paper.
I have been improving, learning from what I think are some good teachers, and although I'm no marksman, I still shoot better with it than my .40. I believe this is mainly because of the natural fit/feal in my hand.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Most people hit low with the usp's because they are involantarily flinching; especially those who are used to shooting 1911's. Their brain tells them to push the gun down after the trigger finger has moved so far (and for a 1911 you dont have to move your trigger finger that much). But if your brain does the same thing on an hk (with a longer trigger pull), or any other double action for that matter, you will find that you are pushing the gun back down before the round has been lit off.

That used to happen to me, until I did about 10 thousand more rounds, shot alot of double action, and became a better pistol shooter. Shooting double action pistols will make any pistol shooter a better shooter.

To solve the problem, grip your hk very firmly, then let the pistol recoil in your hand. "Don't let your grip know what your trigger finger doeth." And you will find that the sights are right on.

I say get the 45.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you like the .40 S&W get the USP .40 with the jet funnel and 16 round mags and you'll have 4 more rounds than the .45 instead of just one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK...I am leaning towards the .45 ACP. Where can I get the best price on normal capacity (Liberals call them high capacity) magazines at?

CSP

·
Registered
67 Posts
Personally I am a 9mm and .45 guy because of commonality. The difference in power, now a days, is negligible—unless you happen to be one of those people who think that little extra may make all the difference (which is a view I can respect). The only thing that I think is “cool” about the Hk .40s is that all you have to do is buy a .357sig barrel and you have a weapon that can shoot two different calibers.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
The only thing that I think is “cool” about the Hk .40s is that all you have to do is buy a .357sig barrel and you have a weapon that can shoot two different calibers.

The USP 40 tactical may use the 357 sig barrel also? Is this a road ready drop in?
No modification needed?

I am curious, as I may be purchasing the usp40 tactical...(maybe) I have heard great things, and the prices are great on .40 !

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
Holy resurrected thread!

My USP 45 is a nail driver. If yours is not accurate or shooting where you're not pointing it, get back to the shooting basics!
*Sights
*Trigger
*Grip

20 rounds at 45ft, Blazer Brass 230gr ball.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
The USP 40 tactical may use the 357 sig barrel also? Is this a road ready drop in?
No modification needed?

I am curious, as I may be purchasing the usp40 tactical...(maybe) I have heard great things, and the prices are great on .40 !
Fullsize USP .40SW won't run .357sig, HK could never get it sorted out.

Only the USP Compact .40sw can be
converted to .357sig

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Fullsize USP .40SW won't run .357sig, HK could never get it sorted out.

Only the USP Compact .40sw can be
converted to .357sig

Thank you @Kost ! Much appreciated.

Still considering the usp40T. I know my p30 .40sw is way too light for the .40. The USP should be a better platform for the .40.

Cheers!

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've trained and practiced with the USP.40 since 1997 and I love the pistol. I have a few. Recoil is not an issue with any USP. Capacity and penetration in various objects, the .40 wins out in my book.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
You really can't go wrong with either. The USP40 and 45 are excellent guns. But if cost is an issue, the USP40 will be far less expensive.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
I've trained and practiced with the USP.40 since 1997 and I love the pistol. I have a few. Recoil is not an issue with any USP. Capacity and penetration in various objects, the .40 wins out in my book.
I agree in general with many firearms, but not for the USP. For the size of the gun I would argue you get more bang for the buck with a USP .45. 12+1 of 45 acp is still great capacity for the round whereas 13+1 for a modern .40, especially for the size, is below average. I guess I am saying go with the .45! :D

·
Registered
86 Posts
Try them if you haven't. Only issue I have with the 45 is it's longer grip, I don't get a good perch on it like the other where the mag flare is up against my pinky.

·
Registered
253 Posts
USP 45, can run .45 Super if you need protection from large animals. GJM on pistolforum wrote a lot on this.

I have big bony hands so I like it better than my USP 9mm or my HK45. I have shot the USP 45, USPT 45 a lot they are very accurate.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts