HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

Noob here (first post) so please excuse my lack of knowledge, lol.

I recently shot an H&K USP 40 at a LGS and really liked it! I am a big fan of the USP Elite (I think it looks so unique) and was wondering if anyone here has experience with both guns on how they shoot and feel? I assume, just by having a longer barrel, the USP Elite would constitute to a "better" shooter, at least for targets? I recall the USP 40 not having adjustable sights like the USP Elite has, so I am looking forward to fine tuning the sights when I get one.

I did just purchase my first gun (been shooting my friend's guns for about 18 months), a CZ-75B, so I look forward to comparing that gun to the USP 40. I decided on the 75B based on how solid it feels in hand and also how it looks. Additionally, I think it has a lot of fans and I hear much praise about it! I plan on having the 75B as my 9mm and the USP Elite as my 45ACP for the time being; I think both guns will keep me happy and occupied for a while.

Any thoughts, opinions, ideas?

Thanks everyone! I look forward to learning from everyone here and, with time and experience, contributing.

Some pictures for reference.

20190129_121716.jpg

20190129_121655.jpg

indoor_range_shooting_01.png

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Congrats on your USP40. The USP40 was my first HK USP pistol ever. Be advised that there is no USP40 Elite, but there is a USP40 Expert. Unlike the USP40, the Expert and Elite have the match trigger which is much smoother and easier to pull in DA and SA compared to the V1 trigger which is what you have. The Experts and Elites are competition/target guns and the parts (RSA, barrel, slide mainly) are hand-fitted at the HK factory which explains why they are more expensive. And yes, as a result, they are way more accurate. You cannot go wrong with the USP45 Elite. It is very different and way more enjoyable to shoot than the USP40.

As for the CZ 75B in 9mm, what are you getting? I have the SAO, SP-01, and the Shadow, all in 9mm and they are excellent firearms. There is always something good to be said about all steel pistols.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
My first HK was a USP full frame .40. For years my main range gun was a USP Elite 9mm. For plinking at the range the Elite was perfect.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Congrats on your USP40. The USP40 was my first HK USP pistol ever. Be advised that there is no USP40 Elite, but there is a USP40 Expert. Unlike the USP40, the Expert and Elite have the match trigger which is much smoother and easier to pull in DA and SA compared to the V1 trigger which is what you have. The Experts and Elites are competition/target guns and the parts (RSA, barrel, slide mainly) are hand-fitted at the HK factory which explains why they are more expensive. And yes, as a result, they are way more accurate. You cannot go wrong with the USP45 Elite. It is very different and way more enjoyable to shoot than the USP40.

As for the CZ 75B in 9mm, what are you getting? I have the SAO, SP-01, and the Shadow, all in 9mm and they are excellent firearms. There is always something good to be said about all steel pistols.
Hey Vincent!

Sorry for being confusing; I shot a USP 40 at a gun range but I do not have one. :biggrin:

But I am excited with the trigger info that you have shared. I don't recall having much of any problems with the trigger so I think I will/would like the trigger on the USP Elite even more!

I totally second on what you said of the USP Elite being different; I just think it looks so unique with the long slide and the different styled front sight. I am a fan of a gun's looks and I think the Elite is a very cool looking gun. If I enjoyed shooting the USP 40 (which I did), then I am sure I will love shooting the USP Elite!

Yes, I am aware that the USP Elite is only offered in 45APC and 9mm with the 9mm variant being somewhat rare? I don't believe the 9mm variant is in the allowed gun roster for California (my state of residence) so I am indeed just interested in the 45APC model. Plus, it will/would complement the 9mm rounds in my CZ-75B nicely I believe. :biggrin:

Speaking of the CZ-75B, indeed, I am getting the "base" model. I just love the looks and feel of the gun and I have been told by numerous people (including my best friend) that it would be a good begginer's gun. I cannot wait to get it, shoot many magazines with it, and give a report on how it feels and shoots; I am looking forward to returning to the range and doing a side-by-side comparison with an H&K USP 9mm. I BELIEVE my LGS has one of those for rent; I can rent that one and take my CZ-75B and come up with data and share here!

:3000000:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My first HK was a USP full frame .40. For years my main range gun was a USP Elite 9mm. For plinking at the range the Elite was perfect.
cueist,

Did you get your Elite 9mm new? I ask because I think those are quite more expensive than the 45APC Elites.

I am happy to hear that you had a lot of success with the Elite on the ranges; I can't wait to get my hands on one! :3000000:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Congratulations on your acquisition Moguera, have you check the USP Expert also? They are more common compared to the Elite Models.

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Congrats! The USP40 is a great firearm. I waited for them to be released, before purchasing one as my first firearm. I'm sure I got one of the first ones in the U.S.A. When I got the recall for the recoil spring update....I left it as new. The spring still tries to shoot outta the pistol.

The jet-funnel has been removed.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Congratulations on your acquisition Moguera, have you check the USP Expert also? They are more common compared to the Elite Models.
Kohmags,

Those are really good-looking guns too and I think I would get one in the future. I believe the USP Elite is a USP Expert at heart with the needed changes to adapt the longer barrel right?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congrats! The USP40 is a great firearm. I waited for them to be released, before purchasing one as my first firearm. I'm sure I got one of the first ones in the U.S.A. When I got the recall for the recoil spring update....I left it as new. The spring still tries to shoot outta the pistol.

The jet-funnel has been removed.
mmissile,

Do you still have your USP 40? Since this is the only H&K gun I have ever shot, how do you compare it to other H&Ks? I am looking for clues since I only have the USP 40 as a reference.....:confused::350:

·
Sheepdog in West Texas
1,797 Posts
Consider an LEO trade in USP 40 - either in full sized - HK USP V1 - low price is $365 a high price of $415

perhaps a compact - USP Compact - high is $450 - low is $385

Might I suggest you consider the HK MARK 23 - IF you can actually own one in California - that I can't say. A nice used example will be about $500 (ish) more than an Elite but you end up with an ICONIC HK PISTOL

You should also consider the EXPERT as well.

Reactions: mmissile

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
I'm a 9mm guy, but think the USP series is probably the best thought-out, common-sense, no BS handgun anybody has built. It's the softest shooting 40 I've owned. Over the years, I've had all the newer stuff... but have kept my USP-40's. [full-size, compact, and Expert] I don't think there has been any real improvements in this design. It also looks like a HK. Personally, I think the newer stuff looks like cross-bred USA and Euro pistols.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Consider an LEO trade in USP 40 - either in full sized - HK USP V1 - low price is $365 a high price of $415

perhaps a compact - USP Compact - high is $450 - low is $385

Might I suggest you consider the HK MARK 23 - IF you can actually own one in California - that I can't say. A nice used example will be about $500 (ish) more but you end up with an ICONIC HK PISTOL

You should also consider the EXPERT as well.
wallew,

Thanks for the additional information. That Mar 23 looks evil; all firearms with threaded barrels are illegal in California so they are out of the question while I still live here (hopefully not for long, lol). I have to admit the Mark 23 looks very good too, and everyone seems to like it! :3000000:

I'm a 9mm guy, but think the USP series is probably the best thought-out, common-sense, no BS handgun anybody has built.
It's the softest shooting 40 I've owned. I've had all the newer stuff, but have kept my USP-40's. [full-size, compact, and Expert] I don't think there has been any real
improvements in this design. It also looks like a HK. Personally, I think the newer stuff looks like cross-bred USA and Euro pistols.
mmissile,

I am really liking the whole USP lineup; the USP 40 shoots great, easy, and fun, and I can only imagine how much more smooth the higher-end USPs shoot. :3000000:

·
Sheepdog in West Texas
1,797 Posts
Then the USP Expert may be the pistol for you...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Then the USP Expert may be the pistol for you...
wallew,

I think I want the USP Expert, USP Elite, and the MARK 23 now......:44:

Actually, I think I will try, at least for the time being, hunt for an USP Elite; I just can't get over the unique looks of that longer barrel USP. Plus, it is one of the very few 6"+ barrel semi-auto guns that are allowed in California, so I know I will be somewhat cool at the shooting range, lol.

But, the USP Expert, will be right behind it; if I loved the USP 40 then I can only imagine how much I will enjoy the USP Expert. :3000000:

Gosh darn it, I want an H&K already! :680:

·
Sheepdog in West Texas
1,797 Posts
If you purchase a FULL SIZE USP you can have a gunsmith ADD the adjustable Match sights (have to mill the slide for them to fit). But the part is less than $100 (at least I think that is correct).

You can also get a MATCH TRIGGER put on the USP as well. Though right now, I do not believe they are available from anybody at this point, though HKCS is saying some time this summer they should be available again.

So technically you could purchase a USP 40 and dress it up with the items you want on it (Match trigger & sights) and be close to what you want for less money. Especially if you pick up an LEO trade in.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I think I want the USP Expert, USP Elite, and the MARK 23 now......:44:

Actually, I think I will try, at least for the time being, hunt for an USP Elite;....if I loved the USP 40 then I can only imagine how much I will enjoy the USP Expert. :3000000:

Gosh darn it, I want an H&K already! :680:
Yep. HK addiction has taken hold of you. The Experts, Elites, and MK23 are the finest DA/SA guns in the HK world. The US45 Elite is relatively easy to acquire for now. However, the supply here in the US will not last as they are imported from Germany. Last year, they were going as low as $750 from suppliers in your home state. Get one as soon as you can. The USP40 Expert is much harder to come by. They do pop up on this forum on occasion, however.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If you really want a Mark 23, I bet you can have the thread protector tack welded or silver soldered on to ATF specs, so as to render the threading useless. Pretty cheap to have done if you can find a seller willing to work with you (.ie. send you the pistol and send the barrel to a smith). Tack welds are easily reversible with a dremel if you move to a free state. Ive removed many from rifles that had a nut welded on to make them legal for import. Im building a NJ compliant AR in the near future for my parents and will be welding one on so they can remove it when they move outside of the communist zone.

·
Sheepdog in West Texas
1,797 Posts
I thought I had read a thread about Mark 23 barrels with and without the thread.
https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-part...k-23-threaded-non-threaded-barrels-250-a.html

UNFORTUNATELY none of them are in stock at the moment

EDIT - ok, I was mistaken - HKParts.Net does have a MARK 23 barrel that is flush fit. Basically making it like an EXPERT, which has NO THREADED BARREL.

https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/Mark-23-5-87-Non-Threaded-Barrel-Flush-Fit-207p17622.htm
5.87 barrel length - $250 plus s&h and IN STOCK as of right now.

AND

https://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/Mark-23-6-10-Non-Threaded-Barrel-US-207p16561.htm
6.10 barrel length - $269 and IN STOCK as of right now.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yep. HK addiction has taken hold of you. The Experts, Elites, and MK23 are the finest DA/SA guns in the HK world. The US45 Elite is relatively easy to acquire for now. However, the supply here in the US will not last as they are imported from Germany. Last year, they were going as low as $750 from suppliers in your home state. Get one as soon as you can. The USP40 Expert is much harder to come by. They do pop up on this forum on occasion, however.
I have been infected with the H&K bug, I might be joining the H&K family real soon! I am working on putting a deposit down on an Elite today! :3000000:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If you purchase a FULL SIZE USP you can have a gunsmith ADD the adjustable Match sights (have to mill the slide for them to fit). But the part is less than $100 (at least I think that is correct).

You can also get a MATCH TRIGGER put on the USP as well. Though right now, I do not believe they are available from anybody at this point, though HKCS is saying some time this summer they should be available again.

So technically you could purchase a USP 40 and dress it up with the items you want on it (Match trigger & sights) and be close to what you want for less money. Especially if you pick up an LEO trade in.
wallew,

The USP Elite comes with the match trigger no? I am looking at the product website and it mentions:

"Target trigger with adjustable trigger stop"

If you really want a Mark 23, I bet you can have the thread protector tack welded or silver soldered on to ATF specs, so as to render the threading useless. Pretty cheap to have done if you can find a seller willing to work with you (.ie. send you the pistol and send the barrel to a smith). Tack welds are easily reversible with a dremel if you move to a free state. Ive removed many from rifles that had a nut welded on to make them legal for import. Im building a NJ compliant AR in the near future for my parents and will be welding one on so they can remove it when they move outside of the communist zone.
crang11,

I think I will save the MARK 23 for some other time; in the meantime I will get the USP Elite. :3000000:

I thought I had read a thread about Mark 23 barrels with and without the thread.
https://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-part...k-23-threaded-non-threaded-barrels-250-a.html

UNFORTUNATELY none of them are in stock at the moment
wallew,

When out of California, I will hunt a MARK 23 down! :44:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts