HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a chance and tried the LEM conversion on my USP 45, after about an hour (should have been shorter but I had a hard time lining everything up find getting the pin through). I'm loving the LEM trigger and am still convinced it can be my winter CCW (well about as winter as the SF Bay Area gets) so I'm wondering if the flat baseplates make much of a difference over the extended ones. Anyone have experience with both?

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
I like the extended as well, it will print more but barely. Not enough for me to not use them

·
Registered
37 Posts
Going against the grain here, but I like the flat ones better, especially if you're carrying concealed. To be honest, I would prefer them even if I didn't carry concealed. I can get a better hold with my support hand.

·
Premium Member
2,965 Posts
I can't see why anyone would prefer the extended base plates. They don't really serve any purpose. At least I can't think of one. I don't know anyone with hands large enough to use one as a pinky extension, so what other reason could there be to have them other than just looks? It just makes the gun larger and more likely to snag on a t-shirt or something. I'll take the flat base plate, thank you.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I confess that I prefer the extended ones for aesthetic reasons and not functional. If the flat ones make the gun more concealable though I'll just switch out the base plate on one of my magazines and use that mag in the gun when carrying. Thanks guys for the input. I'm going to test it out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The grip is so big anyway the extended plates don't really serve a purpose. I switched all mine over to flat ones. They look and feel better, and are easier to conceal.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
It all depends on how you grip it. And i mainly prefer them because i carry a p30. My usp 45 full size mags are for my expert, which for obvious reasons isnt my go to carry. My uspf 45 has just sat in the safe after i bought it

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
The flat ones make the gun look disproportionate to me. Something about em just doesn't look right.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Love that extended base plate. For me it just looks and feels right. Whichever one suits you is the best. What makes either so good is what their attached to. :wink:

·
Registered
232 Posts
My hands fill up the grip with the extended ones. I have huge paws though....

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have the magazine with the FLAT floor plate in the USP45 while I carry concealed and the magazines with the EXTENDED floor plates for reload. And the magazines with the EXTENDED floor plates are easier to grab from a belt, pocket, mag pouch, etc., due to the physical design.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Oneshot, do you mind if I ask what holster you're using when you carry concealed?
Not at all! I stopped using my CompTac MTAC IWB. Surprisingly, I have gotten use to the "cheap" Blackhawk nylon IWB holster in size 3. Fits great and stays put when drawing. People bash on them, but TO ME, its more comfortable than the MTAC. Yes, one-handed reholstering can be a challenge, but it is possible with practice. One thing I did, however, is move the location the clip on the holster. So it sits deeper into the pants. It is a problem with smaller guns like a P2000SK, because the handgun will sit deeper in the holster and drawing it could prove difficult at times due to the shorten handle of the handgun. On full-sized grips, there are no complications with drawing. I like the Blackhawk brand of Nylon IWB holster vs the Uncle Mikes. The Uncle Mikes do not hold their shape. They feel flimsy and not firm like the Blackhawk ones. Plus, the plastic clips on the Blackhawk ones are stiffer for removing from the pants.

See how high the clip is on the holster? I moved it right below the rim of the opening...

Perfect fit! Even with the Meprolight Tactical sights and GG&G rail adapter, drawing is smooth and quick!
P.S., for this example, pictured is condition one. I always carry in condition 2.

Slide is not exposed on the operator's side. Even covers up the rear sight! Keeps it from touching skin/sweat/etc...

I carry "appendix" or half way between 2 and 3 o' clock position. I am 6'0"/265 lbs.
Notice the magazine with the flat floor plate is used while concealed carry...

BARELY prints...

Overall, I like the holster. FOR ME, it is cost-effective, comfortable and easy to draw from. I do not care about the asthetics. The flat floor plate works well FOR ME and the purpose of concealment. However, if I were to find a better holster, I am up for it...

·
Registered
10 Posts
well i have good news.

I can't see why anyone would prefer the extended base plates. They don't really serve any purpose. At least I can't think of one. I don't know anyone with hands large enough to use one as a pinky extension, so what other reason could there be to have them other than just looks? It just makes the gun larger and more likely to snag on a t-shirt or something. I'll take the flat base plate, thank you.
Now you do.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I hate the extended plates on all HK mags. They jab my support hand and the only slight advantage they offer me is that they allow a little bit more positive control when grabbing one quickly out of a mag carrier/pouch for a reload. That's just not enough of an advantage to make up for the uncomfortable shooting experience they dish out on my hands.

On the SK, they make sense b/c that little gun wants to squirm out of you hands after a few shots. On anything else, get 'em off of there!

·
Banned
222 Posts
i have a USP9 and i like the extended. i know that the .45 is bigger by .3 of an inch? but the extended baseplates add just enough for my pinky to rest comfortably on the grip. but on a .45 i can only imagine it would be better.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I prefer the flat personally. I appendix carry and the plates don't matter for ease of concealment in my case.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts