HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new UPS 45 full size a couple of weekends ago. It's a nice gun, but with about 3 magazines through it, I've gotten about 2-3 failures to eject with semi-wadcutters. Is ball ammo the way to go, or should I just keep shooting to continue breaking in the pistol?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would suspect the 200gr SWC lead reloads might be the problem with your USP, Smithwr3. Give us some specs of this load: OAL, crimped or not, did you do a final resize with a Lee Crimper/Sizer, etc...

Also, check the magazine springs for weight (sometimes factory springs are weak) and any glitches/hangups in movement of the spring/body/follower during cycling. Does the problem happen with both magazines?

With a bit more info, some of the gurus here will discover the problem and provide a solution... FWIW, I am not one of those experts, more a 1911 platform guy who likes/collects/shoots/promotes H&K products in both handguns and rifles. IMHO, H&K makes some of the the world's most reliable and mechanically sound firearms -- they shoot well and don't break when compared to similar weapons. Not always the best in ergonomics - until the recently issued HK45 and P30 - but overall they compete with most of the top shelf firearm producers and in many cases are the standard to which others are trying to obtain...

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
I would just get away from the SWC profile. I have never tried that round in my USP .45, buy everything else I run through it performs 100% - beside lead is not recommended in the HK polygonal barrel profile - it tends to lead up very fast and causes pressures to rise. Go with any jacketed bullet and you should be OK.

*All my Colt 1911's eat 200gr SWC like candy*

1 - 4 of 4 Posts