Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Thanks for sharing budd

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
"I’ve always been a big fan of HK since my first exposure to the HK SOCOM .45 in the SEAL Teams. It was a big gun but ultra reliable and very accurate. I used this extensively as my secondary, and favored the .45 to the 9mm round for stopping power."

Hmm. I read the SEALs hated the SOCOM and refused to use them...

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah. I've heard that too. Most of them never even used one. Oh well! I found the reader comments far more interesting than the article itself. I think we all know how great the USP is!

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, I know this has been beaten to death, but on EVERY review, EVERY forum (except this one), people complain about HK price. Meanwhile, these same people have Sigs, Kimbers, etc that are all around the same price range and have no problem with the price there. Then there are those who put hundreds if not thousands into upgrades and re-builds who complain about HK price point. I don't understand.

Is it because a lot of these people think they aren't getting their money's worth because the gun has a polymer frame? I saw a comment in the article by "Go Navy!", who didn't bash HK prices, but bought a Kimber which I imagine is more expensive than your standard USP. I don't know Kimber prices, so please correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Also, I know this has been beaten to death, but on EVERY review, EVERY forum (except this one), people complain about HK price. Meanwhile, these same people have Sigs, Kimbers, etc that are all around the same price range and have no problem with the price there. Then there are those who put hundreds if not thousands into upgrades and re-builds who complain about HK price point. I don't understand.

Is it because a lot of these people think they aren't getting their money's worth because the gun has a polymer frame? I saw a comment in the article by "Go Navy!", who didn't bash HK prices, but bought a Kimber which I imagine is more expensive than your standard USP. I don't know Kimber prices, so please correct me if I'm wrong.
It's the polymer. SIGs cost every bit as much as HKs, but since modern HKs have polymer frames, they are "Tupperware".....no regard to reliability, durability etc.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's what I thought. I think there's this idea on the internet perpetuated by uninformed people who just repeat what others say in regard to HK's pricing. They make HK pistols sound like they're 5k.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hah. I just remembered a few months ago I was browsing the cases at a gun shop and asked to look at the HK's and the lovely gentleman working there simply said: " Why do you want HK? They're glorified Glocks."

·
Registered
865 Posts

True but you get you pay for and yes the statement has been said here before and on other bulletin boards... magazines are more expensive and I can buy two Blocks for the price of one HK and still have some $$$ left in my pocket, but remember your purchasing one hellava quality combat firearm(s). Just remember this what you purchase you put your life into that purchase and ask yourself this one question "DON'T YOU DESERVE THE BEST".

·
Registered
98 Posts
Same here, while I was looking at a HK45ct after buying a HK45 from the same shops I was told I could save money if I pick up a glock, M&P or XDM. They told me I could use the extra money to put parts on the other pistol.

·
Registered
74 Posts
As a Glock guy who has MANY Glocks and is also a Glock armorer who has worked on many many guns over the years, I can tell you that the HK is well worth the delta in cost from the Glock. I just got a 40 USP Expert and the comparison between it and a Glock 35 is night and day. The Glock is a great gun that will never let you down but the HK is more sophisticated in it's mechanism and quality. It is obvious to me why it would cost more from the quality and complexity of the machining of the slide to the sophistication of the trigger mechanism. It really boils down to the sophistication of the end customer. If one appreciates these differences than the price difference makes sense, but if not then they will say that they are overpriced. It's kinda of the Vette vs. a Porsche debate.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Hah. I just remembered a few months ago I was browsing the cases at a gun shop and asked to look at the HK's and the lovely gentleman working there simply said: " Why do you want HK? They're glorified Glocks."
My response would reflexively be,"....so one could say a Glock is a degraded HK?..."

·
Super Moderator
6,045 Posts
The HK USP 45 is one of the best full size 45acp pistols ever made. It is fine if everyone doesn't like it, I love mine. They can say they are over priced, or not worth it, or I can have two blocks for the price of that. It would serve you better to buy what you want and buy a quality firearm. My G19, is not stock....at all. It also has non glock factory parts. I love the gun, but I wouldn't have one that is stock. My HK45 is bone stock, and I wouldn't change a thing. My USP 45 has a HK factory match trigger, and HK factory HK45c mag release. But my USP was amazing stock. That is where I decide what I like best, what pistol I pick up and say, "that fits me perfect, and it just fine how it is."

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't have a problem with Glocks. I have a G32. It's not my favorite gun to shoot, but it's fine nonetheless. The man working at the gun shop had no idea I already had a Glock either. The conversation kind of stopped when he said that to me... On more than just that occasion, someone working in a gun shop has given me the line "well, you don't want that...." or "that's the biggest piece of crap I've held in my life".

Finally I've found a good store where they listen to what I want and show me other options if they genuinely feel they'd be of interest to me.

Navyman- I decide what I like best the same way. If I don't like shooting it, it's not perfect.

·
Registered
589 Posts
It may be well to recall from the Vickers/Hackathorn interview that one reason they wanted to work w/ HK on a post-USP handgun was that the Kimbers some SEALs were buying to carry just didn't cut the mustard on reliability and too high maintenance requirement. Thus was born the HK45 and HK45c, more or less....

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'll get shallow for a second:

I think Glocks are ridiculously ugly, and I'd gladly pay more for a USP.

·
Registered
131 Posts
My response would reflexively be,"....so one could say a Glock is a degraded HK?..."
Good reply, but the original statement is inaccurate. There are some fundamental differences between them, such as the Glock's striker firing mechanism.

Either way, if the gun lasts me for the rest of my life, the cost difference fades to insignificance. If the Glock feels right in your hand and you can hit what you want accurately, quickly, and comfortably, why look elsewhere? If it doesn't, the price doesn't matter.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts