HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering why H&K released polymer magazines for the 9mm, .357 sig, and .40 S&W yet for the .45 ACP they used metal magazines? Was there a specific reason?

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
I think that it´s because of the thinner mag wall. Metal can be made much thinner than polymer so the metal has more room inside the mags body. This means higher catridge capacity.

Miku

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I was just wondering why H&K released polymer magazines for the 9mm, .357 sig, and .40 S&W yet for the .45 ACP they used metal magazines? Was there a specific reason?
HK never released polymer magazines for .357sig.

HK's polymer magazines were / are only used on the USP Full Frame varients for 9mm, and .40s&w. There was never a USP Full Frame varient of a .357sig (there were prototypes but it never went into production).

In order for HK to keep the grip of the .45acp varient of the USP Full Frame to a certain size they had to use steel for the magazines.

All of the USP Compact varients (9mm, .357sig, .40s&w, and .45acp) use steel magazines. The also applies to the P2000, and P2000SK series.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HK never released polymer magazines for .357sig.

HK's polymer magazines were / are only used on the USP Full Frame varients for 9mm, and .40s&w. There was never a USP Full Frame varient of a .357sig (there were prototypes but it never went into production).

In order for HK to keep the grip of the .45acp varient of the USP Full Frame to a certain size they had to use steel for the magazines.

All of the USP Compact varients (9mm, .357sig, .40s&w, and .45acp) use steel magazines. The also applies to the P2000, and P2000SK series.
Are there any physical advantages to the steel over polymer? Also the .357 sig (Compact), this uses metal magazines then? Do all compact versions have metal magazines or only fullsize?

·
Registered
802 Posts
All compacts get metal mags. ONLY USP45 based guns get metal mags.

Steel holds it shape better, doesn't warp in hot weather. Plastic is cheaper to produce and makes HK more money.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts