HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi experts, hopefully I can get some good info here.

I have owned my USP45 compact for about a year now and am on the verge of trading it in. Maybe you guys can talk me out of it.

I have been shooting mainly 230 grain ball ammo for practice and it is just beating me up too much. I also get a lot of muzzle flip. Would the 200 grain or even lighter loads make the recoil more manageable? I like the gun overall and really don't want to trade it in, but if I am not enjoying it or can't get multiple shots on target or start to flinch, I may need to step down to a 9mm or something. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I would go with what you are comfortable with. Speaking from my standpoint, I have small hands and I just don't do too well with small framed/large caliber guns. I've owned short barreled .45's and had to part ways because I wasn't able to shoot well with them. That being said, I have a USP Tactical 45 and for me it shoots perfect. Slapped a Match Weight on it and now it is dead on perfect and quite managable for me.

Another idea, maybe throw a Hogue grip on. It'll definitely soak up the recoil and might make shooting the USPc 45 more enjoyable for you. I also have USPc 9 and I love it. I've shot the USPc 40 and it is managable as well.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Comfort and confidence come first. Drop to a 9mm if you shoot it better.

I don't think ammo selection is going to help you much, but it's definitely worth a try considering the circumstances.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I'm not sure if lower grain ammos would necessarily resolve the problem. I'm still a newbie when it comes to shooting. To my understanding, lighter grain ammo tend to be hotter loads. +P and +P+ use lighter grain to achieve higher velocity. If you find normal loads with a lighter grain bullet, give it a try. I doubt it'll resolve the recoil problem. Hopefully someone else can chime in and assist.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I reload so I can tailor my practice rounds for whatever recoil I want. I only have two .45's. a USP Tactical and a Springfield 1911A1, so they are both full size pistols that soak up recoil very well. With both light target loads, and full power loads, they are both very easy to shoot accurately. If you want to stick with a compact for carry, think about reloading for practice or practicing with a full size .45 and carrying the compact. There's nothing wrong with 9MM either. That's what I carry every day in either a P7 PSP or CZ-75D PCR. With modern ammo, I don't feel under armed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts