HKPRO Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
New member and HK owner here. I've put around 500 rounds through my new USP 45 tactical. For the first 350 rounds I had a total of maybe 3 malfunctions which I wasn't fond of but thought it might just be breaking in. Today when I went to the range I got the same type of jam repeatedly. Here's the issue.

Gun: HK USP 45 Tactical (new)
Mag: 12rd HK mag (new)
Ammo: Federal AE 230gr

Jam: Round fires, case ejects hard, slide returns but doesn't push next round all the way into the chamber, next round in the magazine is pressing upward on the back of the partially inserted round preventing it from entering the chamber. Cleared by locking the slide back, dropping the mag and letting the round fall out. Reload and the round will fire. It happens consistently now with a fully loaded magazine (essentially every round). Unloading the magazine down to 8 or less rounds and it will fire perfectly. Both new HK magazines do this consistently, and so does a promag.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Allow the search here to be your friend. It could be a limp wristing possibility or riding the slide with a thumb.

·
Registered
419 Posts
How much oil did you use? If the gun is dry this is a problem. One thing I've seen in the 7 classes I've taken is under lubricated pistols. These were the ones that consistently had issues. Better to have more oil on it than not enough.

The other thing is running cheap ammo. I don't do it. If I'm going to spend the kind of money Hk's cost I'm running the best ammo out there. I reload everything so I always use quality components.

·
Banned
34,552 Posts
Welcome to the site--- I am not fond of AE ammunition--- too many FTF's across several calibers!!! :biggrin:

Tony

·
Registered
619 Posts
I think hgratt identified the issue above.
I'm curious if closing a slide on a live round (sticking one in the pipe and letting the slide close) can cause extractor distortion.
I don't do it, I've heard many say not to, but I still see folks at the range doing it, especially in rifles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for finding that thread hgratt. The round looked like it did in those pictures. When you lock the slide back the bullet wouldn't come out of the chamber until you released the magazine. Seems like it may need to go back to HK for a look. An out of spec tight extractor and a fast moving (high tension mag spring) round may have trouble getting in place.

There also seems to be a good bit of wear on the chamber exterior. I expected it on the top but not the streak on the extractor side.

As far as the ammo goes I really feel like the gun should be able to shoot this ammo just fine, and it does provided the magazine isn't full.

I considered closing the slide on the round sitting in the chamber after dropping the mag but thought better of it...

·
Registered
289 Posts
I've gotten in a rut buying ammo; just like with everything else. For the past year, I've been shooting Freedom ammo in all my guns, except my .22lr's. Even got lazy (cheap?) and used a few thousand rounds of their reman ammo. My USP45T eats the stuff like candy. Prior to getting into the ammo rut, I shot a little bit of everything. The "white" box ammo offered several malfunctions per 1,000 rounds. Acceptable for casual shooting.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts