HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I was doing some reading on my good old USP .45 when I stumbled across this post on another forum dated back in early 2003...

If you love USP's or own a USP45 then you need to read this...

Here is this mans claimed experience with his USP45

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I got a USP 45, 4 years ago and I would like to share my experience with it.

Its a stock USP 45 with polygonal barrel, 12 shot magazines
I bought the gun since every review I saw said that it was very accurate for a service pisol, very rugged, very reliable and in the caliber most of us want, the 45 ACP

First the pistol is big and has high bore axis, this did not bother me since I have huge hands and the gun was comfortable (until I bought a svi double stack, it felt much better than the hk)

I used this gun as mainly a carry weapon and then for ipsc competitions. It for me is the only pistol to carry when things hit the fan. Id rather have my ar but if given a choice among handguns for defense, the usp 45 will be the first pistol in my hand.

Ok now for the good part:

I mainly shot the gun with lead swc 200 grain extra hard cast with a diameter of .452

The load data are as follows:

heads: .452 swc extra hard cast
powder: VV N310 4.9 grains
velocity: 925 fps
oal: 1.240

The gun was broken in using lead rounds and it did not notice that it was being broken in. I first shot 1 magazine at a target 10 yards away and created a 1 inch hole. No failures.

Proceeding, I shot the gun fast at the same target and noticed that the muzzle rise was significant that I could not make my shot splits down to .4 shot to shot if I was deliberately going for an alpha hit. ( I can have splits to .2 on my custom limited svi in 40 cal)

The double action trigger was not the best, it was long and a little gritty, the single action trigger was much better. It was a 2 stage trigger wherein you take up the slack then there will be a postive stop prior to a crisp let off.

so ok, no jams, no failures whatsoever. My buddy and I shot the gun with a total of 1000 rounds that day to see if it will jam or fail. Tough luck, it did not. We packed our things and went home.

I cleaned the pistol and saw some leading on the barrel. The leading was not that bad. From the chamber the total leading measured around 1/2 inches. I let it soak for around 20 mins with hoppes no 9 and proceeded to clean the bore with a bore snake to which it all came off.

I also detail stripped the usp, something you should not do if you are a tyro and something I regretted since It took me 3 hours to put it back together. At that time there was no instructions on how to detail strip the pistol and hk does not advise people to do this since it is a complicated process.

As a mechanical engineer, I thought this will be a piece of cake. It turned out that it will take me 3 hours to figure it out. Heck, I was praying that it would work and nothing be broke after what I did.

i had to polish the sear and hammer engagements and anything moving in the pistol to get a better pull. (total time it took me to polish using metal polish and putting the pistol back together 5 hours 35 mins!)

Next range session was a 2000 round tourture test with the same load. again it was boring, no failures whatsoever. hits were consistent and since we did not test the groups on our last range session, I bench tested the gun to 25 meters.

10 groups were fired from a sand bag rest, single action, all the shots were printing to the right of the target 2 inches away from the point of aim. i adjusted this by drifting the rear sights to the left a bit.

All groups were recorded and the average of the 5 shot groups were 1.9" including the flyer.

So I got back home and cleaned it awaiting the next range session.

The next range session was using factory ammo. 200 rounds of 230 grain DND ammo. This is the ammo issued to our armed forces here. 50 rounds of corbon 185 +p was also shot through it, followed by 50 rounds of federal 230 gr jhp and 50 rounds of remington 230 grain golden saber.

All of it shot boringly consistent groups were averaged at 2.2 at 25 meters, the corbon surprisingly had the best group at 1.6 inches.

No failures again. I also had 500 rounds of my homebrew 45 rounds and shot them, again no problems occured.

So then I decided it will be reliable enough for ipsc shooting. after a total of 10,000 rounds, I decided to replace the recoil spring. I bought a wolff 14 pound spring and installed it.

Another 10,000 rounds past still no decrease in accuracy and reliability. I decided to get starline 45 super brass and use the super loads to see if the gun will have problems, I replaced the recoil spring 18 pounds if Im not mistaken and shot 50 250 power factor 45 super rounds in a range session, after inspecting that nothing broke I then brought 300 rounds on the next session, then when the round count was 20,000 rounds of 45acp and 1300 rounds of 45 super, something broke! ( yes! it was the c clip that holds the captive recoil spring) It broke but did not notice it until I cleaned the gun, the spring, sprrroiiinged across the room.

After buying more c clips, I then again shot the gun a lot.

Total round count 38,000+ 3000 rounds 45 super rounds

misfires, jams, failures=0

c clips broked = 2 * breaks seem to occur after 1000+ 45 super rounds plus about 5000 normal 45 acp rounds. i replace the c clip after 1000 rounds of 45 super rounds irregardless of the amount of 45 acp rounds fired, even if its not broken.

So there you have it. The hard to break usp shooting more than 38000 45ACP and 3000 45 super. Damage 2 c clips, replaced 3 recoil springs. replaced sights to trijicon after 20,000 rounds

accuracy did not degrade or reliability. I recommend this pistol as a carry pistol for those who can hide it and shoot it properly."

·
Premium Member
5,018 Posts
Ironically, I just picked up a new USP .45 from Cross Creek, today. My second pistol this month, got an HK45 a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
418 Posts
That is funny, I bought an HK45 on GB the a few mo later found not stop wondering how the USP 45 would compare so got one on GB as well. Waiting for it to ship. I just need both of them...

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I really like mine. Standard USP .45 full size. I have had a handful of failures to feed using cheap Winchester and Federal ammo. I'm guessing it just needs to be broken in, as it's brand new. Put less than 500 rounds through it so far.

·
Premium Member
2,942 Posts
I really like mine. Standard USP .45 full size. I have had a handful of failures to feed using cheap Winchester and Federal ammo. I'm guessing it just needs to be broken in, as it's brand new. Put less than 500 rounds through it so far.
Doesn't sound too good amigo.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
The more I shoot WWB the less I like it, especially in .45 ACP. The 9mm stuff seems okay but I think the .45 must be a little under powered. A few times with my FNP45 Tactical the WWB would fire but not completely cycle the action, and I've had that happen with my USP45 Tactical, too. Neither gun has ever had a failure with any ammo except WWB.

I love my HKUSP 45 Tactical! While I too would rather have an AR/M4 of some type for HD, the HK is my go-to for that purpose.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I'm about 7-8000 rounds into my USP, and the only failures have been when new shooters limp-wrist it. The slide and trigger are so dang smooth on it. She was my first firearm, and is definitely my favorite.

·
Super Moderator
6,045 Posts
Great info, and I have only put 3,000 rounds through my USP45 but it ate all of them up just fine. Even garbage BVAC reloads.

After the BVAC's though, I only feed my guns nice ammo. RWS or S&B. No reloads, and no Winchester White Trash. Not because I am a snob, but because a pistol that works that hard for me, deserves top shelf.

I don't care how much I love my HK45's, I am NEVER EVER going to sell my USP 45.....plus I have had it the longest, so I can't lose her now.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Doesn't sound too good amigo.
It does have me a little concerned, especially since it's brand new and I'm using brand new magazines and even replaced the springs with brand new factory magazine springs.

If it acts up after another 500 rounds, I'll send it to HK. Funny thing is the ammo it has had no failures on is the cheap blazer aluminum cased stuff.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
I haven't tried WWB with my USP Tactical yet.
1000+ rounds of whatever range fodder, Fiocchi, Remington...
No troubles.
But my HK45C has eaten box after box of WWB like candy.
It's dirty alright - but my HK45C doesn't seem to mind - LOL!

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
I've shot WWB in my USP Tactical with no problems whatsoever. Good practice ammo at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
It once was, when you could find it, before it went up about 10 bucks a box.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
I've shot WWB in my USP Tactical with no problems whatsoever. Good practice ammo at a reasonable price.
My USP Tactical is a tank.
I would be shocked if it had issues with any brass ammo other than Hornaday.
I've got three 100 round value packs of WWB @ $40 each I picked up at Walmart last weekend.
I'll feed them to the Tactical soon.
Just went to the range for lunch today to squeeze off a few rounds - LOL!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts