HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand they are both large weapons to begin with but does the thinner HK45 make a noticeable difference in concealability? I know the HK45 is a bit taller and that usually makes a bigger difference in a CCW but for those of you who have both, any CCW advantage to the HK45? My favorite and most trusted weapon is without a doubt the USP 45 and I love the 12 round mags and have the upmost confidence in the recoils reduction system but I'm also sure the HK45 is every bit the HK and if it conceals noticeably better then the USP I could certainly find a place in the rotation for it.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
I consistently carry these 2 models as my only ccw options. I actually lean a little more towards the USP for several reasons. The grip on the HK45 can rub the skin a bit if you iwb carry. And the USP holds 2 more rds, and I'm not big onto carrying extra mags on a regular basis. Either gun is a great option, and way to go ignoring the god forsaken pocket pistol craze.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a USP45 and I sold it for a HK45. The USP is a great gun for sure, but for me the grip was just a bit to wide for me. The HK45 is perfect for me. Would I ccw the full size 45...sure with the right holster.
But for me the best choice for ccw is my HK45C....

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I am inclined to say the HK45 would be a marginally better choice out of the two you mentioned. However, neither of those are really great concealed carry guns; just not their purpose IMO. For the record, the HK45 is not a single stack as HKWildHog stated; it is a double stack, just a little slimmer than the USP because they eliminated two rounds and did not stack the rounds so thick for capacity.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've been carrying a P30, I've also carryed full size 1911's, a Sig P226 etc. they aren't the BEST fro CCW, but they can be made to work. Quality holsters are key.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've been carrying a P30, I've also carryed full size 1911's, a Sig P226 etc. they aren't the BEST fro CCW, but they can be made to work. Quality holsters are key.
Agreed as well. I always carried full size pistols. I had a Browning Hi Power and then moved to a 1911. I had a fantastic holster for the 1911 and as you said, it made all the difference in the world. CCW is like just about everything else in the world. There are certain compromises that have to be made. You just have to decide where you want your strengths to lie. Some value round capacity, others value their cartridge choice, still yet others simply make the choice based on weight.

Hell, I've started carrying a Smith and Wesson M&P Shield. It's a completely different animal from my 1911. But it's all about the right tool for the job at that time and the compromises I have to make.

·
Super Moderator
6,047 Posts
I carried both the USP 45 and HK45. The HK45 won out. It has a smaller profile, and is thinner. It is just a touch better for carry IMO. You can carry both with little difficulty if you have the right clothing and holster. Both of those items are not an option though, you have to have them. I would carry my USP 45 again if I had a nice suit to carry with, but I got spoiled with the HK45 and HK45c.

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
HK45 for me, slimmer profile, but there is always room for the HK45C.

·
Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
1,023 Posts
And the USP holds 2 more rds, and I'm not big onto carrying extra mags on a regular basis..
I think 10rds of .45 ACP should be PLENTY for any SD situation you encounter while carrying in the public. Carrying additional magazines while carrying concealed is a bit "extreme" (unless you live in Bagdad or Kabul...). But again - it's a free country and everybody can do what they please to. Just be ready to explain to the DA why you fired 12rds in a SD situation.... (or better: fired several magazines...)

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
What is a good holster for outside the waist band concealed carry for the HK USP .45? I plan on buying a USP .45 for CC when I get my permit. I already have a Fobus paddle holster for it, but since I do not have the pistol yet I have yet to try it out.

·
Registered
3,275 Posts
I think 10rds of .45 ACP should be PLENTY for any SD situation you encounter while carrying in the public. Carrying additional magazines while carrying concealed is a bit "extreme" (unless you live in Bagdad or Kabul...)
Yeah, but what if you live near New Fallujah? :wink:

I agree, I'm actually fine carrying my P7 w/o extra mags.

·
1,023 Posts
the Fobus paddle holster is great value for the $. I have three of them... They are all VERY tight, but you can carefully "spread" them and heat them up with a blow-dryer to get the desired retention. with a few adjustments they are great holsters.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I think 10rds of .45 ACP should be PLENTY for any SD situation you encounter while carrying in the public. Carrying additional magazines while carrying concealed is a bit "extreme" (unless you live in Bagdad or Kabul...). But again - it's a free country and everybody can do what they please to. Just be ready to explain to the DA why you fired 12rds in a SD situation.... (or better: fired several magazines...)
I don't agree. I always carry an extra magazine or two. What happens if the magazine in your pistol fails? Furthermore, I will have no problem explaining why I carry an extra magazine or two. Some people say carrying a gun at all is extreme.

·
1,023 Posts
I don't agree. I always carry an extra magazine or two. What happens if the magazine in your pistol fails? Furthermore, I will have no problem explaining why I carry an extra magazine or two. Some people say carrying a gun at all is extreme.
if you are in a SD and you try to shoot and the magazine in your pistol fails.... you are pretty much f****d ;)

if you have time to unload the mag, reload a new mag and then shoot... it was most likely not a SD situation....

·
Registered
401 Posts
What is a good holster for outside the waist band concealed carry for the HK USP .45? I plan on buying a USP .45 for CC when I get my permit. I already have a Fobus paddle holster for it, but since I do not have the pistol yet I have yet to try it out.
My opinion is you NEED a close-fitting, custom Kydex holster for this. Raven Concealment is the gold standard. I use one that a local business made, but it is basically a clone of the Raven Phantom. Carries nice and close to the body, and its extremely comfortable.

The Fobus paddles are basically garbage. They're ok for range work or short-term carrying, but they are terrible for concealed carry.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
My opinion is you NEED a close-fitting, custom Kydex holster for this. Raven Concealment is the gold standard. I use one that a local business made, but it is basically a clone of the Raven Phantom. Carries nice and close to the body, and its extremely comfortable.

The Fobus paddles are basically garbage. They're ok for range work or short-term carrying, but they are terrible for concealed carry.
Would agree with this comment. Something that can contour to your side is going to be critical to hide the butt of the pistol. Raven would be my first choice if you need it to conceal. The Milt Sparks 55BN may be good too, but it may not contour enough around your side.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
The hk45 is a bit more trim but what really matters is you and your holster.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts