HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who own or have shot both: does the compact model have noticeably more recoil due to lower weight and the lack of a second buffer spring?

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
Fullsize feels smoother to me

I have heard some on here say that they feel like the USPc 45 has less recoil than the fullsize USP 45. . . but NOT to me.

I was shooting (renting) the fullsize USP 45 for several months before I got my USPc 45. I had never fired the USPc 45 before I bought one, and I was expecting it to be the identical, same gun as the fullsize, just with slightly smaller dimensions. . . not so.

When I first started shooting my new USPc 45 I was disappointed in as much as it seemed to me to be quite different than the fullsize USP 45 I had been renting (which I loved). The fullsize just seemed to me to be MUCH smoother and softer shooting than my new compact. The recoil from the compact even hurt the inside of my thumb-joint at the web, whereas the fullsize just felt very. . . well, smooth. After a few range sessions with the compact however, it stopped hurting, and I adjusted to the somewhat sharper recoil of the compact.

I LOVE my USP Compact 45, but I must admit that I find the fullsize version to be nicer. The Compact makes some tradeoffs in order to gain easier concealability. I don't regret my decision to purchase the compact though, I just think the fullsize is the friendlier shooter once the gun is in your hand.

With flat magazine floorplates, the USP Compact 45 conceals well for me. I think I would struggle if I had to conceal the fullsize all day long. If I were carrying openly however, like a cop on the beat, I would DEFINITELY opt for the fullsize. :)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the detailed response. This gun will be for range use only (we are not allowed to carry here) so concealability is not much of an issue. I figured I'd get something different to play with because I already have a full-size USP in 9mm. However, if the full-size gun shoots noticeably smoother than the compact, it sounds like the way to go.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Yes, thanks for the detailed review - I essentially asked the same question on another thread recently, but didn't get as detailed as a response. Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Although not a direct comparison, but the MK23 and the USPcT45 shoot very differently - as they ought to. Some notes...

the 23 shoots fantastically at long distances, has extremely little recoil and - as can be expected - is a BEAR to hold single handedly. Up close, my sighting is always off (again as expected, these are zeroed in on 25 m) and groupings tend to be so so.

The USPcT, on the other hand, is fantastic to shoot up close. With silhouettes at 20 feet, double tap to the nose is a piece of cake. It's almost eriely accurate close combat weapon. But - go past 10 m and this thing starts boppin all over the place. Also, the recoil and drama is much greater with every pull. I'd say it close to shooting a big python, in the drama category.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts