HKPRO Forums banner

Which of these would you choose and why?

• USP 9

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • USP 9 Tactical

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • Other

Votes: 11 23.9%
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I shot a USP 9 at the gun range the other day and loved it! I'm a big glock guy but I have to say this thing is an accurate gun and something about it just seemed right.

So that has me looking at getting one and I've been looking/leaning towards the tactical model that comes with night sights and 3 mags. But $770 for the standard vs $1200 for the Tactical is a big price difference.

Do you guys think the tactical (with the threaded barrel, match trigger, suppressor night sights, and one extra mag), is worth the extra price of admission?
Being a glock guy I'm used to equating $500 with the price of a handgun rather than more than double that. Of course I understand the features cost extra.

I'm thinking I could use the USP tactical for a home defense gun. I have a Silencerco Omega 9k waiting in jail so I would be able to run it on the USP tactical.

However I could easily set up one of my glocks for home defense for a lot less money. For those of you who have shot both which did you prefer and why?

And finally, I keep reading online that people think the 45 is the way to go for the USP line. Why? is the 45 version inherently better than the 9mm version?

Thanks

·
Registered
460 Posts
The USP45 Tactical is the Tactical to have.

I like the 9mm's, I'm carrying one as I write this, but for a Tactical model, the original in .45ACP is the one to get.

I can carry the USP45 Tactical in a pair of hiking shorts and a t-shirt and it disappears in a Black Arch holster.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The USP45 Tactical is the Tactical to have.

I like the 9mm's, I'm carrying one as I write this, but for a Tactical model, the original in .45ACP is the one to get.

I can carry the USP45 Tactical in a pair of hiking shorts and a t-shirt and it disappears in a Black Arch holster.
Why is the 45 the one to get?

·
Registered
460 Posts
It's the original, and it's in .45ACP.

Also, it's used by GSG-9 as the P12. Since I couldn't get one marked like that I settled for the USP45 Tactical.

·
Registered
402 Posts
My advice is to get the Tactical in the round that you can afford to train with the most and enjoy shooting the most. The 9MMs also have the added option of running the Jet Funnel Mag well and the 18 round mags which to me is a huge plus. I love shooting .45 but 9mm has made large strides in last 10 years and I have no qualms about it as a defensive round. The truth is all pistol rounds are not fantastic man stoppers. There was a police shooting a few years back in CA and perp got 8+ 357 Mags to chest and lived to serve his prison sentence. Shot placement is paramount to caliber choice.

The USP is a hammer in stock form but the Tactical is almost in a different league with a much better trigger and adjustable night sights if you get them. If you dont intend to ever run a suppressor then thats a ding against having the threaded barrel. I think to really get the best the USP has to offer, you need a Tactical or a Expert with all the features to really set it apart from something much cheaper.

If this is for carry I would lean against something with TACTICAL written down the slide an anti gun jury or judge could have a field day with that.

·
Registered
41 Posts
It's the original, and it's in .45ACP.

Also, it's used by GSG-9 as the P12. Since I couldn't get one marked like that I settled for the USP45 Tactical.
the .40 was actually the original USP, followed by the 9mm, and lastly the .45. In my opinion however the .45 is the way to go with the tactical. the .45USP is justifiably large and helps mitigate the .45 recoil.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for chiming in all of you.
I wouldn't be carrying it. I have a G19 and G43 for that. But I could see myself using it for home defense with the suppressor on it. I know some people think shooting someone in self defense with a suppressor is a terrible idea but losing your hearing is also terrible.

Problem with the 45 to me is the fact it costs more to shoot and I don't have a suppressor for 45 so the threaded barrel at this point would go unused. I may get one in the future but then I feel like if I'm going to go USP 45 Tactical, why not go all the way and go Mark 23?

How does the match trigger compare to the normal trigger in feel?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm thinking I could use the USP tactical for a home defense gun. I have a Silencerco Omega 9k waiting in jail so I would be able to run it on the USP tactical.
A .45 suppresses better.

·
Registered
402 Posts
If you have the can for the 9MM just get the Tac 9mm and you will have an awesome setup. It was built to be a suppressor host. I own both guns you are looking at with the correct cans and I like them equally. I like shooting .45 a little better cause I am old school but the 9mm is a tac driver aswell. You can always get the 45 later if you want. If you grab the .45 you will prob wish you had the 9 to screw your suppressor on.

One thing if you can hold them is that the 9MM is slightly smaller in frame and a different shape to the .45. So if you can try them get what fits your hand the best.

The 45 is subsonic by nature so no supersonic crack but you can shoot 9mm subsonic aswell so its a bit of a non issue. In home defense its a non issue. If I had to use my night stand USP I would take the can off before the cops got there they arent going to know you were shooting suppressed lol.

The Match Trigger is a couple pounds lighter on DA and SA pull. Mostly what it ads is an over travel stop. So you get a more positive break with no over travel. It will blow away the triggers on your Glocks (I like Glocks BTW). It will be a little smoother on the DA pull.

That being said most would argue the LEM trigger is the best for the USP series if you like a consistent trigger like the Glocks.

The Mark 23 is fantastic as a range toy and suppressor host. I would not use it in a home defense type role at least for me its to big with the can etc. Some others may see it as made for this role as an offensive pistol. Also it will be taken if you have to use it in self defense as evidence so you would be out a $2K gun and can. :(

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thanks for chiming in all of you.
I wouldn't be carrying it. I have a G19 and G43 for that. But I could see myself using it for home defense with the suppressor on it. I know some people think shooting someone in self defense with a suppressor is a terrible idea but losing your hearing is also terrible.

Problem with the 45 to me is the fact it costs more to shoot and I don't have a suppressor for 45 so the threaded barrel at this point would go unused. I may get one in the future but then I feel like if I'm going to go USP 45 Tactical, why not go all the way and go Mark 23?

How does the match trigger compare to the normal trigger in feel?
I think you should definitely get the USP Tactical in whatever caliber you prefer... The .40 will be the cheapest, but in the end it's a personal choice. If you look around, you can find the USP9T for less than you're saying. I snagged mine for around $1050, and that was the LE package with 3 mags and night sights. The thing to me is, if you're planning on suppressing it, it's a no brainer. By the time you add all the stuff to the stock USP to make it suppressor ready (threaded barrel, suppressor sights, and the Tactical specific recoil spring assembly), you're approaching the price of the Tactical, but still miss out on features like the O-Ring barrel, match trigger, and cool slide marking.

One thing to note, the .45 uses metal magazines, whereas the .40 and 9mm use polymer magazines. A lot of people use the HK45C mag release on their USP for an extended release. Thing is, the release is metal, so it may deform the catch on the .40 and 9mm polymer magazines. Just something to consider. I have the HK45C release on my USP Compacts but not my USP9T for that reason.

As far as the Mark 23 goes, it's a whole 'nother world. I have both the Mark 23 and USP9T, and my favorite gun is the Mark 23. However, if I was forced to choose one gun, it'd be the USP9T. It's a far more versatile gun, with more trigger options, a more manageable size, and plenty enough performance.

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
USP Tactical 45

Own several Hk models.
The USP Tactical 45 is a personal favorite.
A true classic and IMHO an example of one of their best small arms.

·
Registered
460 Posts
the .40 was actually the original USP, followed by the 9mm, and lastly the .45. In my opinion however the .45 is the way to go with the tactical. the .45USP is justifiably large and helps mitigate the .45 recoil.
The .45ACP is the original Tactical, not the original USP.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you have the can for the 9MM just get the Tac 9mm and you will have an awesome setup. It was built to be a suppressor host. I own both guns you are looking at with the correct cans and I like them equally. I like shooting .45 a little better cause I am old school but the 9mm is a tac driver aswell. You can always get the 45 later if you want. If you grab the .45 you will prob wish you had the 9 to screw your suppressor on.

One thing if you can hold them is that the 9MM is slightly smaller in frame and a different shape to the .45. So if you can try them get what fits your hand the best.

The 45 is subsonic by nature so no supersonic crack but you can shoot 9mm subsonic aswell so its a bit of a non issue. In home defense its a non issue. If I had to use my night stand USP I would take the can off before the cops got there they arent going to know you were shooting suppressed lol.

The Match Trigger is a couple pounds lighter on DA and SA pull. Mostly what it ads is an over travel stop. So you get a more positive break with no over travel. It will blow away the triggers on your Glocks (I like Glocks BTW). It will be a little smoother on the DA pull.

That being said most would argue the LEM trigger is the best for the USP series if you like a consistent trigger like the Glocks.

The Mark 23 is fantastic as a range toy and suppressor host. I would not use it in a home defense type role at least for me its to big with the can etc. Some others may see it as made for this role as an offensive pistol. Also it will be taken if you have to use it in self defense as evidence so you would be out a $2K gun and can. :(
Yeah I think I really want 9mm. I already have tons of 9mm ammo, its cheap to shoot, and most of my guns are 9mm (besides a 1911 in .45 and Walther PPK in 380). Plus the fact I already dropped the cash on a 9mm suppressor makes it make more sense I think. Thanks for all the info on the trigger too. A local gun shop has the standard USP 9 and a USP 45 tactical. Friday I'm going to go rent them and try them side by side. I could see down the line if I wanted a .45 just going all out and getting the Mark 23 haha. I don't really like double action triggers but I understand the reasoning behind having one available. The LEM Hybrid Match trigger is an interesting concept I've read about.

I think you should definitely get the USP Tactical in whatever caliber you prefer... The .40 will be the cheapest, but in the end it's a personal choice. If you look around, you can find the USP9T for less than you're saying. I snagged mine for around $1050, and that was the LE package with 3 mags and night sights. The thing to me is, if you're planning on suppressing it, it's a no brainer. By the time you add all the stuff to the stock USP to make it suppressor ready (threaded barrel, suppressor sights, and the Tactical specific recoil spring assembly), you're approaching the price of the Tactical, but still miss out on features like the O-Ring barrel, match trigger, and cool slide marking.

One thing to note, the .45 uses metal magazines, whereas the .40 and 9mm use polymer magazines. A lot of people use the HK45C mag release on their USP for an extended release. Thing is, the release is metal, so it may deform the catch on the .40 and 9mm polymer magazines. Just something to consider. I have the HK45C release on my USP Compacts but not my USP9T for that reason.

As far as the Mark 23 goes, it's a whole 'nother world. I have both the Mark 23 and USP9T, and my favorite gun is the Mark 23. However, if I was forced to choose one gun, it'd be the USP9T. It's a far more versatile gun, with more trigger options, a more manageable size, and plenty enough performance.
Yeah I'm looking at the LE package with the 3 mags. Cheapest price I've seen that is available is $1125 from Whisper Firearms. Do you remember where you bought yours? Thanks for the tips on the mag release and mags. Its too bad they didn't do metal mags for the 9mm and .40 but oh well as long as they work. Thanks for your input.

It's not really . I picked up one of these for a very good value , and so can you ! One of my fav's to knock down steel plates ! https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...+M704001T-A5+USP40+Tactical+13+1+40S&W+4.9+V1

I can't believe the .40 is so much cheaper. Ugh figures. I'm sure .40 is just way less popular so they're trying to move those guns. In the end though I'd rather pay more and get the caliber that makes sense. But man what a killer deal. A tactical for the price of a normal USP?! Crazy.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
For me, I would go with the Tactical just for that incredible, beautiful, wonderful match trigger. Or an Elite, Combat Competition, or Expert for that matter. IMHO, the match trigger is THAT much better than that of the regular USP. (LEM included)

6082350567_6293723302_z.jpg

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Tactical in any caliber is worth every dollar, even if you're not shooting with a can.

Get the one you can feed the most and enjoy! =)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I'm still baffled how much cheaper the .40 S&W version of the USP Tactical is. Its like a $400-500 difference! That's huge! And it sells cheaper in many different places so its not like a one off sale. Anyone have any reason for this? Is HK just screwing us with the 9mm price tag and the gun should really be $400-500 lower since they can produce the exact same gun for less in a different cartridge?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Most the reason for the cheaper price is that 40 S&W is not as popular as it once was. The .40 Caliber is a scaled down 10MM. When the FBI was looking to switch to 10MM for various reason they found the recoil was unmanageable by smaller shooters and women. By the time they got the recoiled tamed there was so little powder left in the case they just made it shorter so it would fit in smaller framed guns. Thus the .40 S&W was born.

Alot of police and federal agency's went to 40 caliber over 9. They got to keep the smaller frame for smaller shooters and get better ballistics. There were some down sides... What most of them found out is that 40 S&W tears up Glocks which most of them were shooting. The life span of the frames etc were affected heavily on high round counts. Glocks smaller frame was designed for 9mm then they just dropped in a 40 barrel to meet the demand. This has resulted in most these places switching back to 9mm or other calibers.

Again with the FBI going back to 9mm again people are learning more that JHPs in a 9mm will get the job done with more capacity for cheaper costs. Pistol calibers are poor man stoppers regardless, so slightly more energy is not going to magically result in a one shot stop. Shot placement is paramount and if the gun has less recoil its usually easier for new shooters to place that shot in high stress. When your eyes are bugging out and your in fight or flight you need things to go in your favor and what ever makes that easier is better for the good guys.

This however is a nonissue for the USP as it was designed to handle the .40 out of the box and the 9mm was built on the .40 frame.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Sir, let me offer you a suggestion..................unless you are just playing around, settle on a make. Either shoot Glocks and depend on them for your life. (I did for about 20 years) Or shoot USP's and depend on them for your life. The manual of arms is different and in a nutshell, the Glock and the USP are different. Unless you are superhuman, shooting the USP for a little bit and the Glock for a little bit is counter productive. It sounds like you have some money. One day you will send me a thank you for this advice........sell the glocks and every part/holster that goes with them. Get a compact USP and Tactical USP in the same caliber. Get the compact with an LEM. Train with them.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts