HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have narrowed it down to the USP 9 Compact or the VP9 for a carry gun. I have a full size USP 9 and love the platform, but any thoughts on the VP9 or USP Compact for carry?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am carrying the VP9 and it's very comfortable. I was carrying the HK45C, but for the summer the VP9 is lighter and it's a tack driver. It depends on personal preference. I carry the VP 9 everyday and everywhere with a spare mag in my pants pocket.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't read a bad thing about either. I am leaning toward the VP9 since it runs about $150 less the USP, but that USPc looks so good lol.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I've yet to become comfortable with CCW with my VP9 as the trigger is pretty dang light, and there's no hammer to thumb when re-holstering. I carry my LEM-converted USPc 45 or P30 for these reasons.

Guaranteed someone will now chime in with "it's just a matter of training."

Yes, inadequate training with *any* pistol you carry is asking for trouble. No, training does not eliminate the fact that the VP9's configuration puts you closer to the edge of the ND cliff than a hammer-fired USP.

While training can minimize the risk of a ND, people seem to forget that the gun's design may play a role in facilitating a ND in a moment when your training fails you (Google Todd Green's comments along these lines).

The VP9 is by no means unsafe, but to me it makes an excellent range and night-stand gun -- cc, not so much.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've yet to become comfortable with CCW with my VP9 as the trigger is pretty dang light, and there's no hammer to thumb when re-holstering. I carry my LEM-converted USPc 45 or P30 for these reasons.

Guaranteed someone will now chime in with "it's just a matter of training."

Yes, inadequate training with *any* pistol you carry is asking for trouble. No, training does not eliminate the fact that the VP9's configuration puts you closer to the edge of the ND cliff than a hammer-fired USP.

While training can minimize the risk of a ND, people seem to forget that the gun's design may play a role in facilitating a ND in a moment when your training fails you (Google Todd Green's comments along these lines).

The VP9 is by no means unsafe, but to me it makes an excellent range and night-stand gun -- cc, not so much.
So like I said its a matter of preference.

·
Premium Member
3,086 Posts
Both are great choices, hammer or striker is the question. $150 isn't much compared to being comfortable with the gun you carry. Of course, you could get both:) let us know what you decide!

·
Registered
446 Posts
So like I said its a matter of preference.
My point wasn't whether it is a matter of preference. In order to develop a preference, a thinking person has to (or at least should) consider all of the pros and cons. I thought going a bit deeper into one of my "whys" was in order. My objective was to add more useful information to the USPc or VP question than "I like my __."

I use what I use for EDC not because my choices are "tack drivers" (aside: at CCW engagement distances 0.5" off a center-of-mass point of aim is irrelevant), but because I have given thought to the practical realities of EDC, including how I carry, when I carry, what clothing, amount and type of gun/holster handling for the type of carry I will be doing, etc., etc., to define what I wanted in a CCW pistol. Then I tried to balance all of the factors I thought relevant to pick the best match to *my* needs. For someone trying to decide between two guns (and sounding relatively new to the game), my though was a discussion of the "what to consider" and the "whys" should be more useful than "I like mine."

The VP9's plusses are numerous -- excellent ergonomics, wonderful trigger for a striker-fired gun, good capacity, reliability, best HK pricing ever, short learning curve, to name but a few. It also, like a Glock, is inherently not as tolerant of a handling mistake than a DA/SA or LEM trigger.

For *me*, someone that has the luxury of choosing between several HKs (although probably not my Elite -- not exactly an ideal CCW piece!), the VP9 is not my first choice, for many reasons in addition to those above. In other words, at the end of my thought process it is not my "preference" for EDCC because I like something else more, but because something else is a better tool in my application (I actually *really* like shooting my VP9, as its trigger is better for paper-punching than my USPc).

Different person, different application parameters, maybe a different conclusion. But not just because it is "a matter of preference."

·
Registered
39 Posts
I carry a VP9 in an IWB Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3. Comfortable, not too heavy, and fits my hand and handles better than any other gun I've ever shot!

·
Premium Member
741 Posts
You can go on the HK USA site and compare dimensions and weights. The vp9 isn't compact in size. The length is actually between the p30 and p30L, height is a little smaller. USP compact is smaller in length and height, and two rounds less well unless you use the vp9/p30 mags in it.

USP compact is actually slightly heavier.

For me, I would see the vp9 more as a range, home, duty or open carry gun. My personal preference for concealed would be p2000, p30sk, usp compact or hk45c over the vp9. Not to say you can't carry it. Obviously others do. In the compact size there isn't a gun with the updated ergos like p30 and VP, so you are forced to go bigger or smaller. Of course the elusive dream of a vp9 compact or vp9sk remains.

Shockwave

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I carried my VP9 in an AlienGear 3.0 also when it was the only gun I had. I know it's not one of your choices, but I now have a P30sk and its holster arrived today (Ozarks all 'holstex'). After one trip out I like it FAR better. I wasn't exactly uncomfortable carrying the VP9, but thoughts of the very light and short striker trigger did sit in my mind. I was VERY careful when holstering, and first week or so I carried without one in the chamber. The one drawback I would say to the hammer-fired P30sk is first shot accuracy. Stress/adrenaline notwithstanding, with the VP9's trigger I have confidence in my ability to place good shots from the first shot. My DA shooting leaves much more to be desired. That will be fixed (and already is greatly improved) with some more range time, and as it stands now I've never outright missed a torso sized target, especially at a likely self-defense range, so that's certainly not a huge thing to me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Preference, is after all,the conclusion after you thought about the differences if you are a thinking man.

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
I have narrowed it down to the USP 9 Compact or the VP9 for a carry gun. I have a full size USP 9 and love the platform, but any thoughts on the VP9 or USP Compact for carry?
Buy both? I personally carry the VP9 in AIWB, but I also happen to have taken Spensors Keepers AIWB class and much prefer AIWB for a multitude of reasons, but if given the choices above and if you're already accustom to the USP, is leaving more towards the USP, but if you've trained enough with either then it's all back down to a matter of subjective preference.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I can appreciate your concerns and also the concerns brought out by several responding to your post. Being an old fart I carried condition 1 for years but always in a OWB holster, When ILL approved CCW I did not feel comfortable carrying anything that was a SA in condition 1 in a IWB. That is what got me started with H&K. I went with a USPc 9mm V1 and felt great carrying it IWB as it had the proper trigger pull that I felt safe with. Having my clothes and body constantly in motion did nor make me comfortable in a SA C1 but the USP V1 filled the bill. I since have bought a P2Ksk in LEM and again feel safe with the pull required to fire off a round. As far as a striker fired pistol I choose not to go there as I do not want to make all of my guns obsolete. Proud owner of Colt Gold Cup National Match, Browning Hi-Power Practical and of course my favs USPc and my P2kSk.

·
Registered
534 Posts
my default gun is a USPc in .40 but also carry HK 45C seems lighter, I have carried the VP-9 but stop doing it until I find an IWB leather holster, the Kydex I have now for the VP is not comfortable, but nothing fits my hands better than the VP line, except the 1911s

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well after much consideration and research between the USP9c and VP9...I ended up choosing the P2000 in 9 mm. It filled my needs at a good size and like any HK the quality is unquestioned.

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Myself, I would never wish for a striker fire as my CCW. I vote for the USPc w/LEM based on your two choices. Much better trigger and far safer IMO for CCW.
However, you failed to have the P30sk and the P2000sk listed as choices and both make for the best CCW available. The USPc is secondary for me with the SKs coming first for comfort and less weight to haul aorund.The USP series is a combat tank which I love for that reason. If I miss them with my shots I can always hammer them with the slide. :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts