HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just picked up my nib usp 9mm today and i shot 150 rounds at the range. I buy there reloaded ammo by precision reloads and they always seem to work fine i my usp45 and p30. However i noticed that tonight i couldnt hit the side of a barn with my new usp. On closer inspection of my target i saw that about 2 or three rounds out of every 10 or 15 were keyholing. So i bought some winchester white box 115 grain fmj and they did much better. No keyholing. But still not as accurate as my 45. Ill just blame it on the new gun and sights. My 45 has awsome aftermarket sights. Anywho what was causing the keyholing? I notices the rounds werent as hot as the winchesters. Could velocity have something to do with it? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
64 Posts
WWB is notoriously hot. Range reloads are notoriously not. I'd think they;d have to be pretty noticeably light to keyhole though. IANAE however, so I'll let someone smarter than me chime in =)

·
Registered
162 Posts
The reloads can not be that much cheaper than the WWB are they. Stay away from reloads, bad juju. IMHO.

·
Registered
93 Posts
+1 on no reloads, i have never had any experience with keyholing with any HK pistol, only rifles. I will have to look up some of the twist rates and ballistics and get back with you on this one. I your crown ok? using aftermarket barrel? etc any extra info would be helpful.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea I think I will. I'm afraid that the barrel is jacked up but it looks fine. Could the crimp in the bullet be the problem?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the crown looks fine. The bore looks fine as well. I litterally couldnt hit the paper at 50 feet and very bad groups at 20 to 30 feet

·
Registered
596 Posts
I'd stop using the reloads. About the only way to get a bullet that destabilized is to have some gasses blowing past the bullet. The other alternative is a rifling error. I would suspect malformed or slightly undersized bullets.

·
Premium Member
8,629 Posts
the crown looks fine. The bore looks fine as well. I litterally couldnt hit the paper at 50 feet and very bad groups at 20 to 30 feet
It was new in box? Yeah, gotta be the ammo. At least that one's easy to rule out - just try some different brands.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts