HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Although I am a collector of many different makes of pistols, I am a huge fan of HK pistols and all my defensive pistols are USPs. Lately, I've been doing a lot of benched 25 yard accuracy testing of target pistols and decide today to test out one of my USPs. The particular USP is my oldest one, a full size USP 9mm with a KE date code. I bought in new in late 1994. It was one of the first with the polygonal barrel versus the very early land and groove models. It's been my primary defensive firearm and I carried it for years back when I lived in a state where carry was legal. A few years ago I had Rick Holm who was then at Gray Guns (now at Lazy Wolf) install their reduced reset carry perfection package trigger job. I've shot 25,000+ rounds through it in the 22 or so years I've owned it with NO malfunctions ever. I've never accuracy tested it but it's always had acceptable accuracy when shooting.

I didn't want to waste my Atlanta Arms match ammo so I used cheap Blazer Brass. I took it to the range and shot a few unsupported groups at various ranges. Here is a 7 yard group (standing, 2 handed grip, moderate shooting pace).

I then placed a sandbag on the bench and rested my hands on the sandbags and shot a series of 5 round groups at 25 yards. I saw a pattern emerge after shooting 10 or so groups. I would have 4 shots in an adequate group with 1 shot wildly off. It would be 4 shots in about 2 or so inches and 1 shot making the group 4 to 6 inches. Here is an example group that was typical of the groups that I was seeing:

The 4 shots are in 1.8 inches and the 5th shot makes it 4.4 inches. I'm not sure whether the flyer is on the first shot. I'm not sure whether I am pulling the shot but I do know that I cannot call it. It's interesting that most of the flyers tended to be very low and very slightly right.

I know everyone is going to suggest shooter error and that may be the case but I do know that I am capable of shooting decent 25 yard benched groups. I recently shot a test series with a large group of pistols and shot many 25 yard 5 shot groups well under 2 inches with some around an inch (some even smaller). Some average 25 yard group sizes for some of the match pistols I shot were 1.3 inches, 1.6 inches, 1.8 inches etc. So I do know I can shoot decent groups in testing. I don't think it's an issue I have with every USP since I don't seem to have this issue with my USP45 Tactical which is the most accurate polymer pistol I've ever shot.

What could be going on here either with my technique or my pistol? The barrel can't be worn out because I know there are many USP barrels with tens of thousands more rounds than mine that are still running great. I also don't feel any barrel play. The lockup with the slide seems rock solid. There is some play between the frame and slide but it's slight and should not make any difference if I do my job of aligning the sights right. Is it's technique then what could I be doing wrong and why is it affecting no other pistols I shoot? Any shooting technique diagnostic I should conduct? Should I test a replacement barrel to see if it makes any difference?

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
I've had problems with Blazer Brass ammo. The batch I used in a class two years ago was all I could get. The bullets were plated, not jacketed. The plating was spalling, and these small cuts would surround the bullet hole, from pieces of the plating hitting it like little throwing stars. ...and yes, it affected groups.

I'd suspect the ammo. Try different ammo.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
You sure went to a lot of effort to state this," I didn't want to waste my Atlanta Arms match ammo so I used cheap Blazer Brass. " ?

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all. I will run my Atlanta Arms 115gr XTP through the USP. That ammo is capable of 5 groups of 10 shots at 50 yards with the average being 1.25 inches or less so that should eliminate ammo as the factor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts