HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I have a KK date coded (1999) USP-C 357sig that hasn't seen more than 5-600 rounds in it's life and was wondering if there's any springs that need replacement after time or whatnot. The guide rod spring seems a bit weak, but that could just be the result of the .357sig round which is really hot.

This is my carry weapon so I'd like to just make sure she's kept in top working order.

Also is it possible to upgrade the trigger on my Variant 1 compact to a match trigger, or is that the fullsize .45 only?

·
Registered
106 Posts
6 hundred rounds? Not even broken in yet- recommended maintenance = shoot more.

Match trigger kit only fully fits full size usps. Believe I've read here that everything except the actual trigger itself will work in the compacts but never done it personally; a quick search should find what you're looking for.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
AS stated you've got a looong way to go before you have to worry about a worn out recoil spring. The match trigger is for the full size. There have been a few attempts (that I know of) to cobble a match trigger into a compact but I don't think the true potential was gained as it is in the full size USP.

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
HK recommends the recoil spring be replaced at 10,000 rounds, and no, I do not have a stuck "0" key. I have 12K through mine and it is still ejecting and recoiling the same as its stablemate that has only a few hundred rounds through it. 500-600 rounds, you have not even knocked the dust off it yet.
His broken in comment was him being flippant. HKs really need no breaking in. All of mine have worked 100% right out of the box. If you notice the recoil buffer on the recoil spring getting chewed up then you need to replace the recoil spring and the buffer. Until then, shoot the darned thing and quit worrying.

The full match trigger is USP full size only. You can do it half-assed by either not installing the match trigger shoe itself or cut down the match trigger so it fits, but IMO neither is worth the trouble. If you want a better trigger I suggest you convert over (after trying out first of course) the LEM light 5 pound trigger.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
5-600 rounds since 1999? HAHAHAHAHA. Sorry. Your gun needs nothing; its owner needs more trigger time.

Hopefully you meant 5-6000 rounds ;) In which case, your gun still needs nothing...

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah that's just my guestimate. The top of the barrel where the slide usually rubs doesn't have much worn off of it like I've seen some USP's. No solid line of silver best way I can describe it / gauge it.

·
Registered
865 Posts
If ANY springs need to be replaced it would be the magazine springs if that.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Just got off the phone with HK Customer Service concerning another matter. While talking to them I asked (again) for the definitive recoil spring replacement round count. I was told that a HK pistol used for LE duty or defense should have the recoil spring replaced every 10,000 rounds. He went on to say that pistols used for target/recreational shooting can be shot a lot more before replacing the recoil spring. Every time I ask HK CS this question the round count goes down. I better stop asking-lol. Bill

·
Registered
12 Posts
If ANY springs need to be replaced it would be the magazine springs if that.
Question re: magazine springs replacement: unlike recoil springs which are regularly tension overloaded, magazine modern magazine springs should not fatigue even is left in fully loaded magazines...so I have been told. I have not literature on this, and have continued to occasionally change out my springs. Any knowledgeable comments/recommendations appreciated.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Question re: magazine springs replacement: unlike recoil springs which are regularly tension overloaded, magazine modern magazine springs should not fatigue even is left in fully loaded magazines...so I have been told. I have not literature on this, and have continued to occasionally change out my springs. Any knowledgeable comments/recommendations appreciated.
As long as the ammunition continues to feed your pistol and it's reliable I wouldn't change it.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
modern magazine springs should not fatigue even is left in fully loaded magazines
That is internet falsehood. Springs left loaded with bullets DO wear out. How quickly depends on the quality of the spring.

·
Registered
1997 USP 9mm Full Size, too many upgrades to list.
610 Posts
I've got about 12K thru my USP I've replaced exactly 1 spring, the Firing Pin Block spring, because I lost the original when I launched it across the room detail-cleaning my slide.

-Sean

1 - 15 of 15 Posts