HKPRO Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a SiG P225 in 9mm, which I love and plan on keeping for plinking, I think it is time for something with a bit more punch for my CCW and am currently looking at a H&K USP Compact in both .40 and .45. Having handled but not shot the two HK's, I'm hoping to hear from owners of both with their opinions.

The thing I like about the .40 is the magazine capacity. My SiG is an 8 shot so the more powerful caliber with more rounds in the magazine is a big plus.
What I like about the .45 is that it is a .45. The round count is the same as I currently have with my SiG, but the bigger punch will be welcome. I'm also wondering how the lighter HK handles the recoil. Having shot a nice and heavy 1911, does the polymer HK absorb the recoil well? I'm hoping the more modern recoil mechanism makes up for what the weight of the 1911 contributes to absorbing recoil.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Take a look at some FBI Ballistics stats...and read a few posts by Massad Ayoob and you might be swayed--the 'Myth' about 45acp being the end all be all self-defense round is not drawn on anything more than opinion....

Mr. Ayoob is considered to by many to be THE author about defensive handgunning tactics and training...and his advice has always been handgun selection based upon 1)reliability...its an HK so you are covered! 2) concealability and comfort....if the gun is too bulky or heavy then you are less likely to carry it....3) controllability...can you accurately control both calibers? Can you afford to shoot it enough for proficiency?

These primary factors might help sway your decision....I personally went with a USPc LEM in .40 because I simply couldn't conceal a .45...and I am CERTAIN it will stop a threat just as effectively as a .45acp...

Best of luck and hope it helps! Make sure to let us know what you go with....

·
Premium Member
5,017 Posts
The only thing you are gaining with a USPc chambered in .40 and/or .45 over 9mm is fewer rounds. The "bigger punch" you are seeking will only be witnessed by increased recoil. The "bigger punch" will not be realized by your target; however, you may notice a slight increase in the diameter of the hole on your target at the range. Is that slight increase in diameter worth a 50% increase in the cost of the round that made it? If so, by all means.

Read up on Dr. Roberts on this site: Thoughts on Service Pistols, along with Duty and Self-Defense Ammo Recommendations - M4Carbine.net Forums.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I found the .40 recoil to be a bit snappier than the .45. I also wanted the capacity, so I usually carry my fullsize .45. If you can, shoot both and then you can decide. I also have zero problem with the 9mm, which is on my list to get in the compact....

·
Registered
100 Posts
I would also take a look at the USPc in 9MM. Not to start a war here but the 9mm 124gr or the 9mm +p or the +P+ is one hell of a round. The current 9mm is not the same as our fathers 9mm. If your set on just .40 or .45, I would go with .40. With .40 you can still buy a .357 Sig barrel for it.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Flip a coin you'll probablly be happy with the results.

I don't like that snap of 40 as opposed to the push of 45. That is however completely subjective.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I really enjoy my USP .40 compact. I had some problems getting used to the trigger but now after some more range trips I have complete confidence it is more than adequate for my ccw and self defense needs.
The .40 and .45 compacts are also a slightly different sizes than each other which could be a ccw factor, yes it's not much but still is a difference. I was able to find the .40 compact used for cheaper than a .45 as well, if that's at all a factor for you.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
I've got the USPc 45 as my CCW. It's a little thicker than my Glock 19 was but I wanted a 45 over the 9mm. I don't own any .40 cal and have never really shot them. I don't imagine that 45 will be much thicker than a .40. My USP 45c and USP-SD are nearly identical in width. I think because they went with a single stack mag over a dual stack. I like it, with a Galco skyops holster is too bad to conceal.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a similar situation since I have a Sig p228 and just bought a USP .45 compact. I don't carry, but the compact guns fit my hands better and both guns are surprisingly pretty close in size and weight.

There's a little more recoil with .45, but it's really not a factor at all. I was a little concerned about it too, but I shoot it a lot better than my 9mm Sig for some reason. I'm an H&K guy now but I still really like my Sig.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
The only thing you are gaining with a USPc chambered in .40 and/or .45 over 9mm is fewer rounds. The "bigger punch" you are seeking will only be witnessed by increased recoil. The "bigger punch" will not be realized by your target; however, you may notice a slight increase in the diameter of the hole on your target at the range. Is that slight increase in diameter worth a 50% increase in the cost of the round that made it? If so, by all means.

Read up on Dr. Roberts on this site: Thoughts on Service Pistols, along with Duty and Self-Defense Ammo Recommendations - M4Carbine.net Forums.
Are you trying to stir up a caliber war? Spare me.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I had the same dilemma between the USP compact 40 and 45. I havent shot either (just the 9mm compact). Went with the 45c and couldn't be happier. But then again, I felt i wouldve been as happy with the 40c. That's the beauty of HK

·
Registered
854 Posts
My thoughts exactly...I have talked to enough LEO/SWAT/and active duty servicemen to know I won't stake MY life on a 9mm...but it really boils down to preference--if you like the .45acp go for it...I will also add that somebody pointed out a very very good positive about .40s--the USPc 357sig barrel is all you need for caliber conversion.....mags/slide are identical....it opens more options!

**that ballistics chart has been discussed to death and dicarded as inaccurate...just FWIW

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have no interest in acquiring another 9mm handgun since I have two others beside the SiG I mentioned in my original post. While I like that round and have had no issues using it, it's time for me own something else. I also don't buy into the more rounds is better argument. I'm not in law enforcement, nor am I an active duty soldier so I'm 98% positive I'll never be in a situation where I need to send copious amounts of rounds at a target that is firing back at me. I'd rather rely on stopping power rather than quantity. I know some guys will disagree and that's OK, but that's where my head is at.

·
Gets the Shakes if No HK Contact in 24 Hour Period
1,023 Posts
Having a SiG P225 in 9mm, which I love and plan on keeping for plinking, I think it is time for something with a bit more punch for my CCW and am currently looking at a H&K USP Compact in both .40 and .45. Having handled but not shot the two HK's, I'm hoping to hear from owners of both with their opinions.

The thing I like about the .40 is the magazine capacity. My SiG is an 8 shot so the more powerful caliber with more rounds in the magazine is a big plus.
What I like about the .45 is that it is a .45. The round count is the same as I currently have with my SiG, but the bigger punch will be welcome. I'm also wondering how the lighter HK handles the recoil. Having shot a nice and heavy 1911, does the polymer HK absorb the recoil well? I'm hoping the more modern recoil mechanism makes up for what the weight of the 1911 contributes to absorbing recoil.

The USPc in .40 has an "interesting" recoil. the .45 recoils a tad less, but don't forget: the USPc does not have the
Dual recoil spring of the full size USP. If you expect the buttery smooth recoil of a fullsize all steel 1911 with a USPc, you're in for a surprise. Nothing wrong with 9mm for concealed carry....

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
My thoughts exactly...I have talked to enough LEO/SWAT/and active duty servicemen to know I won't stake MY life on a 9mm
Be careful where you get your info from. Last time I checked, being a LEO or military serviceman is not a qualifier for being particularly proficient or knowledgeable about weapons, and terminal ballistics especially.

**that ballistics chart has been discussed to death and dicarded as inaccurate...just FWIW
Uhh, no, it hasn't.
The Fackler/IWBA terminal ballistics science has pretty much been the go-to source of good info since the late 80's. It has driven bullet R&D since then as well, with increasingly better results with each generation of projectiles. It has also driven load selection for most PD's and the military, also giving better results.

You're pretty ignorant, and need to do more learning and make less statements.

And to anyone trying to simply start **** with gtmtnbiker98, remember that he carries a .45. Just because he carries a .45 doesn't mean he has to be ignorant and say "**** you" to credible knowledge, and none of you should feel compelled to either.

·
Premium Member
5,017 Posts
Since when is voicing opinion and pointing to a source of information called a "caliber war?" Please dude, by all means, spare yourself. To start a caliber debate would require stating that X is better than Y.

I've been shooting far too long to worry myself over caliber; however, the "bigger punch" statements by the OP triggered a reference to a known ballistics expert for his/her further education.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
And to anyone trying to simply start **** with gtmtnbiker98, remember that he carries a .45. Just because he carries a .45 doesn't mean he has to be ignorant and say "**** you" to credible knowledge, and none of you should feel compelled to either.
Haha.. I know he has a HK45c which boggles me why he would phrase his statement the way he did. Giving the impression that all calibers bring the same result which is definitley not true... if you believe in the laws of physics. And no I'm not trying to "start ****" more like trying to prevent it. Settle down guy.

·
Premium Member
5,017 Posts
Haha.. I know he has a HK45c which boggles me why he would phrase his statement the way he did. Giving the impression that all calibers bring the same result which is definitley not true... if you believe in the laws of physics. And no I'm not trying to "start ****" more like trying to prevent it. Settle down guy.
That was the basis for the referenced link, there's very little difference between pistol calibers.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Since when is voicing opinion and pointing to a source of information called a "caliber war?" Please dude, by all means, spare yourself. To start a caliber debate would require stating that X is better than Y.

I've been shooting far too long to worry myself over caliber; however, the "bigger punch" statements by the OP triggered a reference to a known ballistics expert for his/her further education.

Lots of ignorance showing in this thread. Base your assumptions on personal experience and leads on what you read and heard from Billy Bob the Village Cop and the GT/Arfcom.
Calibers wars are all based on opinion and quite frankly I am sick of seeing the argument time and time again on this board. I'm not trying to oppress your opinion in anyway but haven't we heard enough opinions on caliber preference on this board? People will shoot what they want to shoot, who cares about the rest.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.