HKPRO Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day. I'm new to the forum.

I have an HK USP c in 45 ACP. I was wanting to know if this pistol can handle 45 super?

I have looked and searched but have no solid answer.

Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
In the manual it says the weapon can handle +p but it's not recomended. Honestly, an HK can handle anything you give it +p or ++p but take note on the added wear and tear they add.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
The USP Compact 45 can handle firing 45 Super in limited doses. The fullsize USP 45 and the Mark 23 can fire 45 Super all day long with no modifications, but the fullsize USP 45 and the Mark 23 have the extremely robust dual-spring recoil system.

The USP Compact 45 (just like the HK45) has the single-spring plus nylon-buffer recoil system. Between the lighter slide and the lack of the dual-spring recoil system, you will be putting a beating on the USP Compact 45 with 45 Super cartridges. If you just want to fire a couple rounds to see how they are, it's not a problem. The USP Compact 45 has a "fully supported chamber" (almost), and is very strong. If you want to fire 45 Super more than just on a few rare occasions, get a fullsize USP 45 or a Mark 23. They are made for that kind of thing.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh okay, thank you for the responses. The reason I ask is because I need a good/decent woods pistol. I do alot of archery hunts and would feel safer with a good round for dem black bears.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Opps, forgot to add, I don't think I would want to shoot 45 supers then. Without the recoil system and the lighter weight of the compact, I don't want to try it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On another note, would 45 super be adequate for black bear protection? Black bears are the largest bears I have encountered while in the woods.

Thank you.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts
On another note, would 45 super be adequate for black bear protection? Black bears are the largest bears I have encountered while in the woods.

Thank you.
I have read several threads from people who say that the 45 Super is adequate in that application, but my own opinion is that if I anticipated encountering and needing to fire upon any bear in the wild, I would want to have this with me:

Marlin 1895 GBL in 45-70 Govt. Large loop laminate : Lever Action Rifles at GunBroker.com

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, orfeo...that is quite a powerful gun indeed. The reason I ask is that me and my brother were hunting squirrels once, and a freaking blackie was within our area. MAN, we were sh*****in our selves with .22s and .17HMRs we were carryin' that day; never have we gone out without at least some sort of side-arm. We just did not know blackies were there. That got me thinking that I need some more oomph and firepower than a .45 ACP.

Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
The way I see it Taco, is that if the USP45c can handle an amount of 45 Super without damage, then take it into the woods with you. Black bears are gemerally not as aggressive as grizzly bears. Likely just discharging a firearm would be enough to change it's mind and direction. I would load for bear anything I had. If after emptying a mag of 45 Super, you damage your gun, but the bear has not eaten you, job well done. As they say in aviation, any landing you walk away from is a good landing...

·
Registered
132 Posts
45acp is better than shooting pointy sticks at a bear. That being said I would opt for an auto in 10mm or revolver in 44mag or bigger.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
I use a 45 compact as my carry gun. I have shot 45 super from it. Exactly 8 rounds of this to make sure it cycled my gun, then loaded another 8 for carry ammo:

Magtech 45 super swat

I haven't shot the gun since but once I cleaned it did not see any ill effects. Like everyone else said, don't do it all the time, but when you need it, your USPc should hold up just fine.

·
Registered
3,970 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Yes, orfeo...that is quite a powerful gun indeed. The reason I ask is that me and my brother were hunting squirrels once, and a freaking blackie was within our area. MAN, we were sh*****in our selves with .22s and .17HMRs we were carryin' that day; never have we gone out without at least some sort of side-arm. We just did not know blackies were there. That got me thinking that I need some more oomph and firepower than a .45 ACP.

Thank you for your time.
If you're really going into bear country then the 45-70 is a wise choice...

Or a 12 gauge shotgun with slugs.

I wouldn't put my trust into a handgun because it has to be extremely large caliber and load and being accurate will be more difficult. And bears move faster than you can (or Hollywood for that matter) imagine

-DBLAction454

·
Registered
83 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts